Dive Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks back and ended up going against the normal board advice about renting first, and buought a package (with some upgrades). I was looking at getting a reasonably simple non-air integrated computer, originally thinking about a wrist mount, and was looking at the Oceanic Veo 2.0 - around $400. I figured it would be good (and safer) to have a computer that I was familiar with to use on a consistent basis. Then I noticed that Oceanic had a package going, with Reg + octo, computer and BCD for $1K, just over twice the price of the computer I was thinking about (though the package computer was the Veo 1.0). Talking to my LDS I ended up upgrading the computer to the Veo 2.0 in a NavCon and the regulator from the Neo to the Delta 4.2, and ended up with a full set of equipment at a reasonable $$$ pain threshold.

I'm sure I may rethink some of the gear as I gain experience, and I most likely will move on to a wrist mount air integrated computer later. However, then my Veo 2.0 will be my console mounted backup computer.

Having gone diving a couple of times with the gear I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It's definitely nice to have everything but the tank at the ready. The swivel on the Delta 4.2 regulator makes it a lot more comfortable than the regs I used during my OW cert dives.

I saw that package on another thread. It looks nice. Probably with my LDS is they are very small and open only three days a week. Pretty anything I want, unless they happen to have it in stock, is going to have to be ordered and they charge pretty much list. I know the argument about service and whatnot, but I have been told they take a really long time to service stuff also. I think I will end up buying the stuff online from a licensed retailer (I will check with the manufacturer first) or driving 2 hours to the other closest shop and buying there. We will see. I may hold out and see if the shop 2 hours away does a sale on discontinued stuff when the next year models come out. Never know. I would like to have my own complete system, but money wise it ain't happening at the moment.

I bought my first dive computer in 1996. At the time non AI was pretty much it. I bought the Ocenaic Prodigy. Still have it as a spare for my spare. Since then I've had a few others. I use a compass on a retractor.

I also have 3 Veo 180s One for each of the kids and one as a spare. The prodigy is the only one purchased new.

The kids have their Veos mounted in a console with SPG and Computer on the front and compass on the back.

One other thing you should consider is that not all computers have download capability. Example: The Veo 100nx and VEO 180 are essentially identical except for color and downlaodability.

Dive Computer Training

Here is a link to a site that you can find information about dive computers and the options available. There is also a guy here on Scubaboard, DivNav that has online dive computer training for specific dive computers. Dive computers are a personal choice and you should take into consideration the features and price range you are looking for. You will get all kinds of advice on which one you should buy from this board and a lot of opinions, it is your decision which you prefer.

On that note, personally I own and really like my Oceanic Datamask. The heads up display has the information right there, you don't have to do anything but look down to view it. It is more expensive than some and cheaper than others. I also have a Suunto SK7 compass on a retractor that works well for me.

ref=dp_image_0

p_computers_datamask2.jpg

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

You can ask your LDS about one or you can shop around for one on the internet. That opens another can of worms whose debate goes on endlessly on scubaboard. That decision is yours as well.

Good Luck, enjoy your OW class.

Air integrated computers add a wireless component so that your air (or other gas) level reads out on the face of the computer with other information. Non-air integrated computers lack this feature, and are usually (not always) on a console with a submersible pressure gauge. One of my best dive buddies swears by air integrated, but I prefer the separate gauges. For one, the spg is a manual gauge, and while they can fail, they do not "go down" due to battery or other technical malfunction. I do think you should be sure to get a nitrox programable computer based upon your opening thread. There is no need for any particular regulator for using nitrox, just get a quality piece of equipment. I prefer one that is adjustable, as I dive in varied water temperature and that is a big factor for me. I also am a big fan of every diver having a compass, so if you go air integrated and like a wrist mount, just get a retractable compass you can clip on your bc. If you go with a console, get one you can pop a compass into.
DivemasterDennis

It's a coincidence, there is a similar but not the same conversation on another board. Many people have been providing personal experience where the SPG fails in a false manner. Whereas the digital readout "turns off" because of a battery malfunction, a malfunction of an SPG can occur but the unit will not fail completely. Instead, it will provide a false reading of the gas available in the tank(s).

This took me by surprise, since I had not heard this specifically myself. It was more than one person who discussed this failure, does anyone else have any similar experiences?

I saw that package on another thread. It looks nice. Probably with my LDS is they are very small and open only three days a week. Pretty anything I want, unless they happen to have it in stock, is going to have to be ordered and they charge pretty much list. I know the argument about service and whatnot, but I have been told they take a really long time to service stuff also. I think I will end up buying the stuff online from a licensed retailer (I will check with the manufacturer first) or driving 2 hours to the other closest shop and buying there. We will see. I may hold out and see if the shop 2 hours away does a sale on discontinued stuff when the next year models come out. Never know. I would like to have my own complete system, but money wise it ain't happening at the moment.

There are good points for not buying and renting. If, and a big if, you are in a market to support renting.

First, are you a normal / nominal size? Renting a wetsuit if you are very large or very small, or very tall, very short may be difficult if the local shops do not maintain a large rental inventory. Also, there are some things you may want to consider buying, such as the wetsuit. People pee in wetsuits, even rentals. And they are generally not sanitized outside of a good rinsing.

I bought all of my gear, I guess I am a germaphobe. I didn't want to put my mouth on regs that Lord knows how many other people have bitten down on. Same with the wetsuit. These items are too personal. I wanted the computer because I download my dives to my PC and analyze the profile. Not easy to do when you turn the equipment in.

Check out the classifieds here at SB along with other Scubaboard (such as ScubaToys). I have purchased a great deal of my "tec" gear used and couldn't be more pleased with the condition of the goods bought, for a fraction of the price. You can add new mouthpieces to used regs and make them your own. Computers also go for at least a 30-50% discount over new.

It is expensive, and for every new student to join, there is another certified diver selling equipment. Sometimes it is because they need the money and/or are leaving the sport. Sometimes because the diver is upgrading to tec and the original equipment can't cross over.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds on several boards and use the "Want to Buy" forum to post specific needs. Gently used equipment is pretty common and the deals are great.

Good advice on the used equipment. I will keep that in mind. My size and the peeing factor is one reason a wetsuit will be my purchase right after my fins. I am 6'4" and about 225lbs with broad shoulders. Not a common size to fit.

Good advice on the used equipment. I will keep that in mind. My size and the peeing factor is one reason a wetsuit will be my purchase right after my fins. I am 6'4" and about 225lbs with broad shoulders. Not a common size to fit.

You will be amazed by how many people go to dive shop, buy everything before OW and then don't dive. Stuff ends up here, craigslist, or ebay.

My AL Black Diamond cost me $175. Just bought my daughter a Diva for $125. The girl bought it, did one pool session and left. I even got the weights the dive shop put in it for the class. Maybe that contributed to the problem. They had a 100 lb girl with 12 pounds of weight in a heated pool.

I am surfing the internet and reading all I can while waiting for my cert class in July. I have been looking at different dive computers. While not planning on buying one right away, I have some questions.
1. I am assuming air integrated means the computer is connected by a hose or wireless to a module on a tank to your air supply. Is this right?
2. How does a non air integrated computer figure out dive time left if it does not know the air left in the tank or your usage at the moment? Does it only show you time left to avoid deco stops?
3. Is air integrated something I should try to get? They are pretty expensive. My hope is to learn and do nitrox, wreck, and night and deep diving, but not technical diving. I would like to avoid rebuying stuff. As in I will be buying a cold water nitrox able regulator when I buy one. Don't need it know, but I may later.
4. I am guessing your normal dive computer setup is with a pressure gauge below it and a compass above it? Is this right?

Sorry for some of the basic stuff, but the only dive shop local to me is only open 3 times a week and they have a very small selection of stuff. It would be real nice to have a large one here where I could just walk around and look at stuff.

REPLY TO:

Your correct on that definition.​
There are many smart non integrated computer and wrist watches that do not connect to the air supply. They offer an estimate of air supply available. Based on the data you enter. For actual air supply read the gauge.
Air integrated is excellent for your profile diving. If it's out of your budget presently. Consider waiting until it's within your budget; prior to purchasing anything else. Excellent for Nitrox as well​
That's the standard type in the marker.​

I on the other hand use the Oceanic Atom 2.0 with wireless transmitter. Excellent choice for all divers.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!!

Good advice gNats,

I second the buying used gear. I started doing that as soon as I started diving.

Buying new gives you one advantage, free parts on regs.
New high-end reg setup 800$ - Used 400$
On the High-end you save 40$ of parts per year......in 10years the used one will get more expensive......in 4 years you'll want another reg (Hell, I want one every year)

BCD's are expensive too, you can still find them used for a cheap price, furthermore you can TRY them on and resell them if you don't like. If you buy new and don't like it, you lose 50% of the value. New BCD 500-700$ used 200-400$. (yearly maintenance is like 20$)

Your reasoning is good Cwhite6:

Get stuff that you can't really get rented. This would be
Fin, Mask & Tuba (you can still get rental gear)
Wetsuit (a wetsuit that fits YOU)
Computer (get familiar with 1 computer, download your dives, you can still get rental gear)
BCD (get familiar with 1 BCD, back-inflate, bp/w, jacket, everyone likes different things, you can still get the rest rental)
Reg and the rest.

Gnats, germs make you strong like bull. Don't be scared.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom