DIVE COMPUTER RECOMMENDATION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I meant buy one of Ratio computers that are "basic" and you can upgrade the same computer by paying some licensing $$ to "open" the more advanced features on the same computer when you are ready/need these features. No need to buy a new computer when you need the features in the future.
Got it! Which one or ones will you recommend? Thank you

Got it! Which one or ones will you recommend? Thank you

You will have to decide which type, watch size (oversized actually :) ) or the big screen one. I got the iX3M one with AI transmitter.

Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

I got this one: Ratio Dive Computers - iX3M [Gps] Tech+

You don't have to start with this model I did since it is a very advanced technical model. You can start with one of the two lower ones and then upgrade it when you need/want to in the future.

There are also the watch types:
Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

I would go for one of the these (Sapphire glass):
Ratio iDive Avantgarde
with Sapphire glass, Stainless Steel case and Stainless Steel bezel.

I have exactly the same thoughts about Garmin's first dive watch, but when you purchase a dive computer for about $1000, you definitely want to wear it daily. Garmin draw my attention immediately when I found out that I can wear it daily ( can work as a smart watch too)

I completely understand your thinking and would probably think the same thing. While I’m sure it’s a fine product and my thoughts are completely unfounded, I still can’t help but be a little hesitant. At the end of the day, convenience and ability to wear everyday is not as important to me as reliability and peace of mind underwater from knowing that the product has been tried and true for a few product generations and by many users.

I was briefly in product development all the way down to the initial manufacturing and testing stages so i know a lot of money and time goes into testing and quality. It’s probably fine. I’m just so worst case scenario! :)

Last edited:
Hello folks,
New diver here who wants to find his very first dive computer. I did my research, but still cannot decided. Please help me to narrow down one. I do wish my dive computer has features below:
1. multiple air mode
2. 100-150meters depth
3. digital compass
4. wet activation
5. safety stop (sound or vabriation)
6. bright screen
7. ascent and descent rate (especially descent rate, helps me to control my descent speed so that I won't have ear pain. Even though I tried my best to equalize, it still hurts if I descent too fast)
8. AI ( is it really important)
9. round watch size
10. easy to operate
I have few candidate: Oceanic Atom 3.1( I see a lot of divers recommending this one on here), Suunto D6i Novo Stealth (this one does not have descent rate), and Garmin MK1 ( I really like this one, all the features I need are in this computer and I can also wear this one daily as a smart watch, HOWEVER this one does not support AI). I know, I cannot get a computer that has all my desires, but I do need your opinions.
Personally I'd prefer an advanced one at the very beginning rather than upgrade (please tell me if I am wrong)
Thank you so much!!!!!

IMO..... 1 2 4 5 7 are all pretty standard so lets skip those attributes.

3 digital compass. nice to have but not necessary. Pros all one unit. cons loss of battery and you loose the function. Compass uses additional power.
6. bright screen. uses power to keep light. watch size unit has small battery pros.. size for daily use. cons too small to read the data as eyes start to need glasses.
8. AI nice to have. not necessary. pros": lots of neet info for the screen and desktop log book ect. cons ... AI uses 2 batterys to work the computer and the sensor. computer is extra battery load and the sender is both a battery load and a load so long as there is any pressure on the reg activating it. loose one battery and you have no info (2 failure parts). Use a SPG instead ( you will need it for a backup if you use AI anyway). the sensor usually sticks out and is a snag item unless you use a HP hose to run down your right side and tuck it in to your side. . hit it too many times and you break it, it is pretty durable in that aspect i must say. . After time the sensor looses its accuracy and will ( by my experience) get an error of about 300 psi on the lower end, and it will not be in your favor. You read 500 psi and you only have 200 psi. The senders are expensive and cost perhaps 150 to repair psi errors.
9. round watch size nice cool look and thats about it.... Pros size. looks cool in the bar and is a conversation piece. cons. I have not seen one that is intuitive to use. Many have up to 4 buttons and special button combinations are needed to operate.
10. ease of operation. Probably the most important factor there is with a computer. To use it has to be easy to read (size) easy to physically operate (with gloves) and a menu system that is intuitive. If you dont have that you dont have a useful tool.

My biased opinion is that shearwater meets your requirements. Cost easily <800 (1200 with AI xmitter). 2 button scroll and select. large screen with lighted backlight. willl use any battery you can fit into it. will not lock f you out or 24 hours if you make a severe violation (both pro and con) such as missing a stop. has large 3/4 inch buttons you can operate with gloves on. Its color so you have only to glance for red indicators if you choose to use it that way. If you move on to technical diving you menu select to technical mode to use trimix gasses. If you look at the perdix you will find the compass is outstanding in that you do not get compass stick if you tilt it too much. 45 degree tilt and it still works great. Use of the computer on your right hand frees you left hand for dedicated BCD / bpw control on ascent and still be able to monitor depth and depth rate.
Finally you can update the computer software with out special cables and adaptors via Blutooth.

I don't know the market that well but since shearwater has made such a hit in the community i assume that others are now making computers that have the same qualities.

Last edited:
You have a really good point on the descent! I am going to get my advanced open water and hopefully rescue in march.
Can you explain more about why you think AI will not be helpful for advanced divers? Thank you.

You are doing well, understanding but also reflecting on what people are writing to you. :acclaim:

So I will take the time to answer you.

Glad you understood the ear thing. You never go down too fast as long as you stay at the maximum depth that you have planned. For some dives on Atolls, like in the Maldives, your goal is to reach the "margin" of the pass as fast as you resonably can because of the current. So "negative" water entry and a good swim down to the margin is a must if you want to make it. Otherwise, you are "flushed" into the lagoon. No big deal, but you will miss the pelagics that are swiming in the current at the margin.

If one day you progress into tek diving, you will need to use different tanks with different gas mixes. "Tek light" are using deco bottles with a enriched nitrox to 100% Oxygen in oder to decompress more efficiently and faster. Deeper tek divers use trimix ( N,O and Helium), in order to avoid narcosis , or even deeper hypoxic mixtures, in order to avoid Oxygen toxic episodes. This implies that sometimes, you have tek divers with 4+ tanks with them, with different mixtures.

For these dives, the planning is, of course extremelly important. You should establish when and how to change mixes. You have a very precise run down that is written on a tablet on your arm. You also need to follow the evolution on a minimum of 2 computors.

Because of that multitude of bottles, the use of AI would be very difficult to do. You would need to have pressure transmitters on every single bottle and a computor that can intergrate all these signals.

While, I understand that this would be wonderful in an ideal world, I doubd that a tek diver would trust enough an AI dive computor to depend on it for its survival.

In summary, I may be wrong, but in my world, I live in Europe, I have never seen a tek diver that relies on AI for deep dives.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same thoughts about Garmin's first dive watch, but when you purchase a dive computer for about $1000, you definitely want to wear it daily. Garmin draw my attention immediately when I found out that I can wear it daily ( can work as a smart watch too)

What about the computer is desirable to make you want ot wearit daily. you r cell phone will tell you the time? The computer is a dive tool ,,, use the tool for what it was made for and nothing else. Myself. I would not wear a weight belt to work. Or my multi thousand dollar dry suit.

I own one, iX3M [Gps] Tech+, and no issues with it at all so far. Easy to navigate the menu, lots of features. Big numbers and labels in the screen (easy to read), very customizable, etc. I still haven't dove it enough to make a detailed report, but so far after 20 or so dives, I love it!! (I have been a die hard Suunto fan so far but this is a class by itself).

Where and what have you heard about please? (give me links please).

IE, third post here: pareri e impressioni sul nuovo Ratio iX3M Tech+??? - Poverosub Forum

However it's 2 years old, more than the computer being "locked" (and with not removable battery you cannot even try to force it off...), I was pretty disappointed about the assistance (mail only service, no phone numbers, unanswered email) ..they even asked the customer to ship the product back at their expense, try with Sharewater, they always reply almost instantly and with top notch assistance.
They may have improved during this two years and it could be just a coincidence, so I won't have a definitive opinion, until I will have the possibility to try it myself.

You are doing well, understanding but also reflecting on what people are writing to you. :acclaim:

So I will take the time to answer you.

Glad you understood the ear thing. You never go down too fast as long as you stay at the maximum depth that you have planned. For some dives on Atolls, like in the Maldives, your goal is to reach the "margin" of the pass as fast as you resonably can because of the current. So "negative" water entry and a good swim down to the margin is a must if you want to make it. Otherwise, you are "flushed" into the lagoon. No big deal, but you will miss the pelagics that are swiming in the current at the margin.

If one day you progress into tek diving, you will need to use different tanks with different gas mixes. "Tek light" are using deco bottles with a enriched nitrox to 100% Oxygen in oder to decompress more efficiently and faster. Deeper tek divers use trimix ( N,O and Helium), in order to avoid narcosis , or even deeper hypoxic mixtures, in order to avoid Oxygen toxic episodes. This implies that sometimes, you have tek divers with 4+ tanks with them, with different mixtures.

For these dives, the planning is, of course extremelly important. You should establish when and how to change mixes. You have a very precise run down that is written on a tablet on your arm. You also need to follow the evolution on a minimum of 2 computors.

Because of that multitude of bottles, the use of AI would be very difficult to do. You would need to have pressure transmitters on every single bottle and a computor that can intergrate all these signals.

While, I understand that this would be wonderful in an ideal world, I doubd that a tek diver would trust enough an AI dive computor to depend on it for its survival.

In summary, I may be wrong, but in my world, I live in Europe, I have never seen a tek diver that relies on AI for deep dives.
I just accidentally find out that my mom brought me the Sunnto Zoop Novo as Christmas gift.

I completely understand your thinking and would probably think the same thing. While I’m sure it’s a fine product and my thoughts are completely unfounded, I still can’t help but be a little hesitant. At the end of the day, convenience and ability to wear everyday is not as important to me as reliability and peace of mind underwater from knowing that the product has been tried and true for a few product generations and by many users.

I was briefly in product development all the way down to the initial manufacturing and testing stages so i know a lot of money and time goes into testing and quality. It’s probably fine. I’m just so worst case scenario! :)
I got you, I saw a hand-on review of this watch, and maybe I will wait to get one when they build in the AI feature. At the meanwhile, I find out my mom bought me a sunnto zoo novo as xmas gift. i will do further research on this model, then decide whether I should keep it or return it.

I got you, I saw a hand-on review of this watch, and maybe I will wait to get one when they build in the AI feature. At the meanwhile, I find out my mom bought me a sunnto zoo novo as xmas gift. i will do further research on this model, then decide whether I should keep it or return it.

That’s awesome! I think it’s a great first computer, especially when you don’t have to pay for it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom