Dive computer recommendation

Which shearwood will be our second dive computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried diving with the Perdix, but I did have the opportunity to play with one a bit while helping to pair my buddy's Perdix with his transmitter. Maybe there's a workaround, but I did find the menu more annoying to navigate since it lacks the extra up and back buttons you get with the Teric. Coupled with the sheer sexiness of the Teric (I wear it as a normal watch and have had at least 5 people ask me about it, thinking someone had finally released a smartwatch that actually looked good), it gets my vote.

It comes with an extension strap, so I have no issues wearing it on a drysuit sleeve.

I haven't tried the Garmin, but I prefer air integration over GPS anyways.

Have you tried the MK1 by any chance? it is so appealing to me that i can use it as an everyday watch. lol

I have not, to be fair, as I have no need for any of its features beyond diving, but a need for diving features it does not offer (AI etc.). I like purpose-built items over 'do it all with compromises' items. Diving requires the best technology support I can find. Other activities in my daily life don't need any tech support as I have established through experience (there is an Apple Watch collecting dust somewhere under the bed).

If the reviews are good and its every day features beyond the Teric are more important to you, then why not go one MK1 and one Shearwater. You can always buy another one of either later on, once both of you end up wanting one over the other. The Shearwater would surely be easier to sell on here though :p

As an everyday watch, nothing beats a high end mechanical watch :thumb:

...plus I don’t think he wants to go on the pro level, it is unnecessary for us to get two shearwater
I take it from this you are thinking of becoming a divemaster or instructor at some point? As an aside, a shearwater (or any expensive computer for that matter) is unnecessary for this. There are reasons to get an expensive computer, but I don't think this is one of them - the features of one of these have nada to do with instructing. Just saying.

You're only talking 100 difference between the 2 shearwaters, a drop in the bucket for these. I think whether you want watch style or a larger display is an important part of the choice here. (Also, does your husband want a little watch display while you've got a big screen? :wink:

If you like the Descent, if you buy 2 you won't be bouncing between 2 completely different interfaces when you want to look at your buddies computer for something, or use it for other stuff.

I take it from this you are thinking of becoming a divemaster or instructor at some point? As an aside, a shearwater (or any expensive computer for that matter) is unnecessary for this. There are reasons to get an expensive computer, but I don't think this is one of them - the features of one of these have nada to do with instructing. Just saying.

You're only talking 100 difference between the 2 shearwaters, a drop in the bucket for these. I think whether you want watch style or a larger display is an important part of the choice here. (Also, does your husband want a little watch display while you've got a big screen? :wink:

If you like the Descent, if you buy 2 you won't be bouncing between 2 completely different interfaces when you want to look at your buddies computer for something, or use it for other stuff.
Yes, i do want to become a dive master or an instructor even batter. I want to see how i feel about it as I dive more.
the other reason is MK1 has full 30 days refund policy, i can compare two of these when we are there. I can return it if i did not like it after all.

I own 2 Perdix.
Bomb proof, easy to read, easy to set up and understand. Excellent customer service.
I teach recreational scuba but also, for fun, do technical diving in sidemount.
I often use my Perdix in recreational mode and have loaned them to students.
Everybody loves the clear, easy to read screen and the logical menu system.
Now, I have seen the Teric and had an opportunity to test it.
One word describes it. COOL. So cool, if the funds (and my wife) allowed I would buy one just to wear everyday.
The software by the way is almost the same on both models.
Go for either the Perdix or the Teric, you cannot go wrong with a Shearwater computer.
My original Perdix has now done over 1k dives.
Have you tried paring 2 AI on Peridix? is it easy to oprate?
Many thanks

AI setup on Shearwater is very easy, you just enter the transmitter serial numbers for Tank 1 / Tank 2 and they are paired for life. The transmitters activate when pressurised and pressure displays within seconds.

I have a Perdix AI and my wife has a Teric both are great computers and easy to program and operate. Also pairing to multiple transmitters is easy. They are hands down the most intuitive computers I’ve ever used.

I have a perdix AI with 2 transmitters and a perdix non AI for backup.
Good dive buddy has a teric and while it’s bright I just don’t care for the small size of it, and I have enough **** to charge between dives, primary and backup lights heated vest , remote I don’t need to charge my computer as well.
The compass that runs around the home screen is really cool but I bought my second perdix after he bought his teric so I’m def not trying to justify my purchases to myself.

but the Teric is newer though, and has a brighter screen which and less bulky.
they both support 2 AI at the same time, it is a huge plus for us because we more likely dive together.
Read your original post, you've listed 3 good reasons to get the Perdix. You'll love either one regardless.

but some divers on YouTube think that you may need to replace a new battery after a 500 charge cycle. Please Let me know if they are wrong)

I use a rechargeable computer (Eon) Having just checked it's showing 774 dive hours. Round that up to 800 to allow for use on the surface. It has shown no battery degradation thus far - I would expect 1000 hrs of use before I may need a battery change, thus I wouldn't let that put you off.

I do us a Perdix, but it's only a backup because it's not that impressive a computer. The major negative points on the Perdix have been addressed with the Teric, which is a fine computer if you prefer the smaller form.

Should you go Pro you need a good and easy to use timing device (on some computers the stopwatch is a faff) and be able to get it's conservatism close to that of the shop computers. You really don't need anything fancy for teaching or guiding but something easily wearable is preferred as you're in and out of kit all day

Out of the Teric and Perdix, I would point you more in the direction of the Teric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom