Dive computer recommendation

Which shearwood will be our second dive computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The teric screen is nicer. The Perdix one is fine but not the best there is.
The Perdix only has two buttons. While the SB fans are in denial about this, it means that the Ui can be quite frustrating to use as if you go to far along in a set of options there is no ‘back’ operation. Most cheap computers have 3 or 4 buttons and have a ‘select’ and ‘cancel/back’ available at the same time which is genuinely better. The Teric has four buttons so might do better at that.

I have a Perdix (and the similar Petrel) and while the screen on the Teric is lovely, and nicer than the Garmin, I wouldn’t spend the money on it - if I had a spare grand to waste I would buy the garmin and get all the gps/monitoring stuff. I tell new divers to buy Suunto Vypers at about a third to a quarter of the price.

I own a Perdix AI and some other computers, which have a rechargable battery or one which must be replaced in a workshop. After dealing with all of them I must say, a user replaceble battery is a considerable advantage. Thus Perdix AI would be my choice from the two. Apart from Shearwater, I appreciate also Ratio computers for their sidemount mode and dealing with up to 10 gas mixes. A Divesoft Freedom is also a brand which competes very well with Shearwater.

I think someone mentioned above flooding.
I can't get bent out of shape on this, yes it's a risk but it's a user solvable issue - and checking O-rings is part of diving Personally I find that user replaceable batteries is down to personal preference. The Fan club used to argue it because that's what Shearwater did. There are arguements for both. I prefer rechargeable - but that's just me

No doubt you've mentioned what they are in another thread but what are they again?

Most are only relevant if you actively compare (via actual use) the different computers in this bracket. As you know I'm using the Eon Steel (my primary computer), The Perdix and have the OSTC plus on loan - but only 40 dives on it. Thus far my Perdix is place 3/3

Ken hits the two majors, The Perdix Screen and UI The Teric screen and UI are much much better

Information display again the Perdix drags behind.

Two transmitters are great, I wish Suunto would enable this for SM, however I don't know if the Yellow TX issue has been resolved from their recall. If not, it's a single TX computer like the rest (Teric too)

They're the highlights

I've been using two grey TXs for SM and never had an issue.
Good to know. I'm just using Shearwater info and have no practical experience with SW TX. Because the Perdix underwhelmed me so much I didn't' invest in SW TX and happy with my SPG's which only get looked at 3 times a dive

Hi Natedive,

I purchased a Perdix AI about a month ago. I have dived Perdix AI and the Nerd. Fellow divers dived the Teric (I was able to check-out the Teric u/w).

For all the reasons that others have stated above, I like the Perdix. I don't want a combo device. I don't like strapping a wrist watch over my wetsuit. And etc.

For my type of diving, I like the screen and the menu. For someone who dives like @Diving Dubai, the compromises are probably annoying when there are other computers more suited for his style and type of diving (and personal preferences). Everything in life is a compromise--which compromises are most important for you?

1. I like the size
  2. I like the user replaceable battery
  3. I like that I can remove the battery and allow the Perdix to sit with my dive gear unenergized for months at a time.
  4. I like the customer service support that Shearwater provides
  5. It all comes down to a personal decision.
The MK looks like a great product. It isn't for me. The Teric is great product. It isn't for me.

You will probably be happy with either of the three computers that you have listed.

markm

Hello, Divers

My husband and I are going to Cozumel at the end of this month, and we want to get our advanced OW certifications while we are there.
As we take diving into the next step, it is probably the time for us to get two dive computers. After few days research, i have finally picked 3 candidates : Descent MK1, Shearwater Teric or Shearwater Perdix Research Ai. We are pretty sure we will get a MK1 because i will use it for other sports and my husband can use it as a dive computer when we dive together ( plus I don’t think he wants to go on the pro level, it is unnecessary for us to get two shearwater). The second one i am leaning toward to Perdix Research AI, and here are my reasons:
1. Perdix with an AI transmitter will cost about 1200 USD, and Teric itself costs about 1000 USD. One AI transmitter costs about 300 USD, so Perdix sounds a better deal.
2. Batteries can be changed at any time. (I know Teric is rechargeable, but some divers on YouTube think that you may need to replace a new battery after a 500 charge cycle. Please Let me know if they are wrong)
3. Perdix has a larger screen and the housing is pretty durable, i heard (from the same youtubers) Teric is easily to be scratched.
I know these three are amazing computers and it cannot go wrong with either one, however, I still want to hear from you guys who have those computers before we make our decision.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

My 2c ... just my opinion: I went off the MK1 because I value AI over the sporting features, their customer service doesn't seem to hot (from Garmin forums) and it seems some of the sporty features are buggy. Perhaps also check if any sporting features are missing versus the 5X. The Teric's screen also won me over. Shearwater's customer service is excellent ... let me correct that ... it's way beyond excellent!!. Definitely 'invest' in a screen protector for it; I think mine cost ~$1 out of China *+$1 shipping!). Perdix didn't enter the equation for me as I wanted a watch form, new tech, and not a large clunky battery. Qi charging is also a big plus. I've not seen SW comment on# of charge cycles. If it lasts less than 5 years before it needs replacing I won't be happy. But, when I do replace it, it won't be a lot of $, new battery tech is always improving, so IDC. Even if the 500 cycles is true, that's >5,000 dives ... i need to dive a bit more! There's some unwarranted noise about the battery capacity, but anything that gives 3-5 days of diving depending on brightness, log rate, AI etc is more than ok in my book.

Regardless of which way(s) you go I'm sure you'll be happy. Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom