Dive computer recommendation

Which shearwood will be our second dive computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just found a place in the UK that only charge £3 for freight, £43 total. Very tempting!

If you wait till post Brexit, our £ exchange rate will be so shite they'll probably end up paying you to take it!

It will be interesting to see if the Garmin and the Shearwater will match NDL / Decompression precisely given the same GF settings.

My 2c ... just my opinion: I went off the MK1 because I value AI over the sporting features, their customer service doesn't seem to hot (from Garmin forums) and it seems some of the sporty features are buggy. Perhaps also check if any sporting features are missing versus the 5X. The Teric's screen also won me over. Shearwater's customer service is excellent ... let me correct that ... it's way beyond excellent!!. Definitely 'invest' in a screen protector for it; I think mine cost ~$1 out of China *+$1 shipping!). Perdix didn't enter the equation for me as I wanted a watch form, new tech, and not a large clunky battery. Qi charging is also a big plus. I've not seen SW comment on# of charge cycles. If it lasts less than 5 years before it needs replacing I won't be happy. But, when I do replace it, it won't be a lot of $, new battery tech is always improving, so IDC. Even if the 500 cycles is true, that's >5,000 dives ... i need to dive a bit more! There's some unwarranted noise about the battery capacity, but anything that gives 3-5 days of diving depending on brightness, log rate, AI etc is more than ok in my book.

Regardless of which way(s) you go I'm sure you'll be happy. Happy Diving!
One YouTube channel indicates that the battery will last about 3 years, and i do like the watch form with a newer display technology, and that youtober also doesn’t like Teric because the housing can get scratched easily.

The Shearwater Perdix AI is a fabulous choice, you won't be disappointed.
Someday I'd like to have one!

This may have been mentioned already, but do you want to wear your computer during long surface intervals and/or as a watch? I recently purchased a Teric to replace my Suunto Vyper Novo because I wanted a watch-sized computer. The Teric is a bit more expensive than some other watch-sized computers, but when you consider how much better the screen is, how much better Shearwater as a company is, and how customizable the settings are, it's not that much more really.

I know lots of people who love their Perdix, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either that or the Teric. It's more about what style of computer you want.

As for the Descent MK1, I was considering that as well but decided I didn't want to wait to see if Garmin would be releasing an AI model in the future. I currently have a Fenix 3 that I use as my multi-sport watch, so having an all-in-one solution would have been nice. But I ultimately decided that my Fenix 3 is still running fine, so I'll use that for everything else and use my Teric for diving. Best decision I've made with respect to dive gear, by far.

One YouTube channel indicates that the battery will last about 3 years,
I suspect if you looked hard enough you could find a YouTube channel that says anything you wany. Hardly a credible source for facts.

One YouTube channel indicates that the battery will last about 3 years, and i do like the watch form with a newer display technology, and that youtober also doesn’t like Teric because the housing can get scratched easily.

[edit: re battery:] On what basis do they make that statement? I seems inconceivable. Are they a credible source/dive operation or with electronics etc experience . It would be good if SW did release some more info in this regard to shut down that (what I think) is complete BS.

re scratching on casing/'bezel'. It's been chatted about before as a possibility, but it seems all SB units are still pristine. Perhaps it's just a SB thing!

It is widely reported that Lithium-Ion batteries are limited in lifetime and recharge cycles. There's nothing Shearwater, Garmin, or Apple can do. There's a lot of information available on the subject.

And, by the way:
The Shearwater Teric Announced

A watch that's on all the time (and power-hungry display is on most of the time) will drain its battery faster, leading to more recharge cycles. Physical size of a watch-size battery doesn't help either. So I can easily see a garmin not lasting a single dive after 5 years of continuous use.

There's difference between smart-fitness-watches and dive computers: in watches' years, five years is forever and by the time the battery wears out the device is obsolete and is not worth the cost of battery replacement. In dive computer years, 5 years is nothing.

It will be interesting to see if the Garmin and the Shearwater will match NDL / Decompression precisely given the same GF settings.

That is answered in the Scubalab data that @scubadada and I (and others) have been talking about.

It is widely reported that Lithium-Ion batteries are limited in lifetime and recharge cycles. There's nothing Shearwater, Garmin, or Apple can do. There's a lot of information available on the subject.

Come on Sherlock, that's hardly news. There's a lot of misinformation on the subject of the Teric's battery generated by you. How much are you willing to bet that the Teric's battery last 3 years or less?

Which post in that thread are you referring to? (the page you've linked it to talks about straps)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom