Dive computer recommendation

Which shearwood will be our second dive computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my petrels (shearwater) I dont need the AI but the conpas is great. Look for how intuitive the menu system is. when when you decide on a puter. I was hooked on shearwater after owning my first one in the first hour. You dont even need a manual for one to use it. You can get them for probably 500$ and will last you for life. Also look at the battery change process and how easy it would be to mess that up and flood your puter. You may not need the tech side of the shearwater, but it is there with a push of a button should you want it. One reason would be to set your own GF factor when you get to that level of use.

I seems inconceivable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy_JGqvFmWrfBtIMjaZZMIXyXT6roagQCIyqokGA09GcuDwcqH.jpg

You sure does.

How much are you willing to bet that the Teric's battery last 3 years or less?

Anecdotally Given My Eon has a rechargeable Battery (My wife and a few friends have them too) Mine is going strong with no discernable loss in capacity after 800hrs of use (use data from Eon Stats)

Even if it started to fail (its currently 4 and a bit years old) its no biggy. An Apple iphone replacement battery is only $80 - and they're great at price gouging - So if my Eon battery cost me $100 every 5 years, it's a nothing cost pretty much the same as getting a dive shop to change a battery on a watch computer every year for 5 years.

Given Shearwaters obsession with the quality of their products, I have no doubt that they did a lot of research and put a lot of effort into battery longevity.

There are pros's and cons which ever way you go

With my Perdix I carry a spare battery cap in my save a dive kit. Because I know that Murphy will strike and no matter how careful I am, one day I'll be changing a battery and the cap will get dropped or knocked out of my hand, falling somewhere in accessible

With my Eon, I need to ensure it's turned off especially over night - or double check it's charging - User error happens, how many times (like me) have you thought you plugged your phone in to charge overnight and the charger wasn't switched on say.

The OSTC Plus I'm playing with also has wireless charging, my concern with that one is the connection you need to place it somewhere where it wouldn't get inadvertently knocked off the stand and not charge (the Teric charger appears to solve that with its design it grip the computer)

How much are you willing to bet that the Teric's battery last 3 years or less?

You sure does.

@dmaziuk :giggle:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 7.20.34 pm.png

But I do think your point about continuous watch and dive computer use is an interesting one.

I've asked SW some questions about the battery ... let's see what they say.

My wife and I each have a Perdix and a Teric. The Teric is not just a Perdix in a smaller form factor and with two more buttons. It is a big step up in joy of use. I didn't realize how much nicer it was when I was trying to decide what to buy for a backup computer and thought two Perdix would be better because they would be identical user interfaces and I loved my Perdix. When I got the Teric underwater it kept giving me little surprises of how much better it is to live with it underwater.

Having an ascent rate shown in bars and an actual number instead of just bars changes how my brain adjusts my ascent rate. It is like if you had a speedometer that only showed mph in increments of 10 and you kinda had to guess if you were near the next higher bar (too fast) or the next lower bar (not fast enough). This is something my brain had adjusted to with experience. When I saw the little number next to the bars it was a cool thing but what happened nest is my brain adjusted to it being there and my ascents got easier and more precise without me thinking about it.

The compass on the outer part of the ring and always there is similar. Since it is always there without pushing a button or taking up real estate on the screen like it would on most computers and the Perdix, my brain just absorbs its info without thought and what has happened is my navigational awareness has improved without any effort on my part. That is in addition to the times when I actually want to check direction and would have hit a button on the Perdix or times when I am actually navigating and would have given up seeing tank pressure data while doing so on the Perdix.

Little things but cool. little. things. All the other cool things like the improved screen that won't scratch and is easier to see are also true advantages. My wife pushes me to buy the best and not be dissatisfied later. I don't give usually give advice to people I don't know but on this one, buy the Teric.

Few gadgets in this world make me smile when I use them and mostly I can't be bothered. I've never bothered to buy an iPad and I don't care about an apple watch. The Teric is just a sweet device to use and my Perdix is truly the backup computer now. I do like having them both on and I set the Perdix to show info that I would otherwise hit a button to see if I only wore one computer. If I was only diving rec dives on a reef I would only own one computer but we are heading deeper and redundancy is becoming a thing.

I use readers but I can manage without better with the Teric than with the Perdix. The contrast makes a difference. I use 1.5x readers and I could manage the Teric without a reader but my masks have the 2x readers in them already. I need them for other things like the GoPro monitor etc.

IMG_4748.jpeg

Here is a follow up. If I take off my reading glasses and compare the two this is what I find with MY eyes. The contrast is better and the background is truly black instead of blackish. Also at certain angles the Teric has a much greater advantage than the comparisons that I will outline below. What I see in real life is different than what these images suggest. That is important. Don't be fooled by picture comparisons. It isn't accurate just like you should never pick a paint color from a computer image.

Tec is easier to read than GasPO2 on the perdix
21/00 is equal in readability
.20 are equal
the word DECO is easier to read then the word DEPTH on the Perdix
The number 65 on the Perdix is difficult to read accurately without the reader.
I can't read No Comms at all without readers

Ok and this is really surprising to me. I have just learned that I can slightly improve my close up vision unaided if I adjust my eyelids. There is a tiny point at which my eyelashes are just beginning to obscure my vision slightly where there is a simultaneous effect of bringing things into better focus. I never noticed this before and I consequently have no idea if it would work while diving due to the pressures and forces in the mask.

Back
Top Bottom