Dive computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAWISA1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to update an old Dacor computer and would like some advice and recommendations on what to buy. The faetures I am interested in are:

1) Computer should be able to connect to PC to download diving information.
2) Probably console mounted but possibly wrist mounted. Please help with this.
3) Able to handle Nitrox.
4) Cost under $400.00.
5) Air integrated or not?? Which is better?

Any assistance you can provide would be great.

Thanks

James

Given your price point I'd suggest a Genesis React Pro. To my limited knowledge you won't get an AI computer for under $400 so that's out.

The Genesis will require a download kit and software which will bring the price up closer to $400. In fact most of the cheaper computers will require that kit and the prices range from maybe a low of $75 on up.

Scubatoys has a Mares AI computer for only $372, but I'm not sure if it is downloadable or not. Personally, if I purchased a non-AI computer I would get a wrist mounted unit like the Oceanic Veo 250 ($275). I prefer Oceanic computers as I find them very user friendly. And the newest version of their PC program isn't too bad either.

I dive a Oceanic Pro Plus 2, AI, and would highly recommend it if you wanted to spend a bit more.

I am not sure whether to buy the wrist mount or console mount. What are the pros and cons of each. I like the idea of less stuff hanging down but am not sure which one is right for me.

Even with a wrist mount you still need a spg, so you really don't do away with any clutter. That is unless you get a wrist computer with AI, but those are pricey (Before someone comments on this: No need to carry a separate spg, computer stops working, abort the dive. Yes, I realize if you are a caver or diving deep you would want to have a backup but for simple rec diving it's not needed) The advantage to a wrist computer is that it very convenient to read. The disadvantage is that they are more likey to get lost, both in and out of the water, if you aren't careful.

The cheapest Nitrox computer I know to be downloadable is the Suunto Gekko ($250). Very nice little computer.

If you dive with a regular buddy, one thing you might consider is what brand of computer he/she dive. Different brands use different algorithms and your amount on NDL time can vary greatly. This way you won't run into one of you needed to surface while the other one still has plenty of bottom time left.

Hey James
Here is a great computer to take a look at. The Atmos 2 by Aeris, it has all of the features you listed (not air intergrated) and in the console it is under the $400 mark.
A couple of pluses on this one are;

Extreme durability (we have had them in our rental line for over 3 years now)
We chose this computer to use for our OW student training program, because of how easy they are to learn to use.
Big numbers that are easy to read in a hurry.
Computer downloadable software (that works).
Comes on automatically, so if you hit the water it is on and working.
It is in the middle between "conservative and aggressive" computer algorithms for your bottom times.
Audible and visual alarms
and the list goes on....
Take a look here for some more info
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_aeris_atmos_2.cfm

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Suunto Vyper.
Aeris Atmos 2

Ditto on the Vyper & Atmos 2.

I own an Atmos 2 and have used a Vyper. Both great dive computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom