Dive Computer Transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KnightDiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello All:

I recently purchased a Vytec wrist computer and am pretty happy with it. It did not come with a transmitter, so I purchased a gauge meter for tank pressure. I like to be able to get the reading right off the computer since it has that feauture. Are transmitter safe? are there any issues with them?

Thanks,
MO

I also have the Vytec with the transmitter. I have never had a problem with the transmitter however you should always keep a gauge as your main way to check you pressure. I mostly use the transmitter to keep track of my SAC rate and while diving I always reference the gauge over the computer.

I'd agree the backup SPG is a good idea. Under some conditions the transmission can be less than 100% reliable. Some local divers have hung the transmitters on their hoseless AI computers away from the first stage on a 6" HP hose and get better performance, but this has it's obvious drawbacks.

I've had zero trouble with the Vytec losing transmissions.

However, there is a known issue with it resetting its code if it loses pressure underwater, and you CANNOT resync it underwater (the wrist unit.) Suunto is aware of this, and I have, at present, a "beta" unit with a different algorythm (it will not change its code unless its cycled TWICE in a relatively short period of time) which seems to resolve this.

The only time you'd run into it is if you were to do a valve drill on a set of doubles, and intentionally depressurize the transmitter underwater. The algorythm change makes it reasonably safe to do that, but the original transmitter has this as a significant trouble point.

I have never had a problem with my Vytec transmitter. It has been very reliable so far.

The general opinion is that the transmitters are prone to failure and only a mechanical SPG is "100%" reliable but I have yet to hear a story about a transmitter going belly up for no reason.

Thanks to all for the response. There is a problem, I was told that the Vyper does not support a transmetter is this right?

Regards,
MO

well the transmitters are pretty reliable but i know of two failures; one a dead battery (in the transmiter) they should have seen this one coming, the other the transmitter was bumped hard before the dive (while the regulator was in the car) and developed a leak durring the dive.

of course any gear, not maintainde or checked, can fail.

The Vytec transmitter warns of low battery WELL before it fails on the wrist display (it sends a code indicating that the battery is low); if you have a battery go dead in it that's ENTIRELY your fault.

As for banging the gear around, if you abuse anything it can fail, of course. I'd be far more concerned about a HP hose being damaged than a wireless transmitter - the Suuntos anyway are all machined out of a one-piece billet - the plastic is only for covering the electronics and sealing water from getting in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom