Dive Computers---Not if, But When!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepartureDiver:
One of our divers had a double computer failure within the first 5 minutes of a dive ...

Well at that point I might buy lottery tickets! Ha-Ha!

At that point if my Husband/dive buddy still had two computers I would consider using his backup dive computer.
Rather than lose the rest of the dives for the day...since we do stay close to each other. This as opposed to Same Ocean Buddy (SOB) who think if they are in the Same ocean at the same time they are your Buddy. I have dove this this type of Buddy a few times (But no longer).

Thanks

azsilver:
Well at that point I might buy lottery tickets! Ha-Ha!

At that point if my Husband/dive buddy still had two computers I would consider using his backup dive computer.
Rather than lose the rest of the dives for the day...since we do stay close to each other. This as opposed to Same Ocean Buddy (SOB) who think if they are in the Same ocean at the same time they are your Buddy. I have dove this this type of Buddy a few times (But no longer).

Thanks
AZ silver. If you are looking for Suunto comp. in AZ I would suggest going to El Mar in Mesa. I have been shopping around the valley and online and they have great prices. I'am pricing a Suunto Mosquito for my wife and a Vyper for myself. When I checked the $ I found them to be the same price as LP and you get a full warranty. No other dive shop in the valley comes close.

azsilver:
When Computer diving how do you back up your computer?---since they are electronic and do fail!

Waiting to hear from you!
What type of diving? Back it up with a watch/bottom timer.

Shallow - who cares, call the dive or know your table for that dive and look at your bottom timer
Deep Rec - who cares, call the dive or know your table for that dive and look at your bottom timer
Deep Tec - who cares, call the dive, refer to the table you brought with you and look at your bottom timer/spg

Change the battery twice as often as you need to. Clean it. Keep it in it's box. Talk nice to it. Wear a watch.

cjones:
AZ silver. If you are looking for Suunto comp. in AZ I would suggest going to El Mar in Mesa. I have been shopping around the valley and online and they have great prices. I'am pricing a Suunto Mosquito for my wife and a Vyper for myself. When I checked the $ I found them to be the same price as LP and you get a full warranty. No other dive shop in the valley comes close.

Thanks, I have already priced them at El Mar and I am ready to buy the Suunto's as backups for our Uwatec's. And El Mar is the Place to go.

As I am still waiting to get my Uwatec back from ScubaPro. It was sent in for repair a week ago. Called the LDS (not El Mar) that sold them to us to get an ETA for the return of my NEW Uwatec Air Z nitrox wrist computer that failed the first time out. The LDS said ScubaPro was backlogged and it may take over two weeks.

Great brand new---failed and I must wait weeks to get it fixed! I really wished I had gone to El Mar and gotten the Suunto’s and not even messed with ScubaPro.

Still waiting, AZ Diver

DepartureDiver:
One of our divers had a double computer failure within the first 5 minutes of a dive ...
What failed? These things are actually multiple computers in one case. If it is a computer malfuntion, it is usually just one part of the computer. It it is a screen, it is usually because there was a crack and water got in, or... My guess he changed the batteries at the same time and they both failed at the same time. Otherwise this is a one in a million event that ranks up there with a blown burst disc underwater.

Many times new computers have been sitting around and the batteries are weak. Does everyone check their battery voltage prior to their dive? Probable not. It's kind of like checking to make sure you hooked up your drysuit inflator hose.

mempilot:
Many times new computers have been sitting around and the batteries are weak. Does everyone check their battery voltage prior to their dive? Probable not. It's kind of like checking to make sure you hooked up your drysuit inflator hose.
Mempilot--the Air Z-nitrox gives the amount of battery when you start up the dive computer- it was 96%. It did not track information completely nor did it alarm when I stressed it. The LDS and put it in their Chamber tested it and guess what? it did the same thing….Back to ScubaPro it went…that is after they ascertained it was not operator error!

I guess I am kind of picky wanting my new computer to work properly….the same concern I have about any plane before I fly when I am the PIC.

Thanks for your information,

An AZ Diver & Flyer

azsilver:
Thanks, I have already priced them at El Mar and I am ready to buy the Suunto's as backups for our Uwatec's. And El Mar is the Place to go.

As I am still waiting to get my Uwatec back from ScubaPro. It was sent in for repair a week ago. Called the LDS (not El Mar) that sold them to us to get an ETA for the return of my NEW Uwatec Air Z nitrox wrist computer that failed the first time out. The LDS said ScubaPro was backlogged and it may take over two weeks.

Great brand new---failed and I must wait weeks to get it fixed! I really wished I had gone to El Mar and gotten the Suunto’s and not even messed with ScubaPro.

Still waiting, AZ Diver
I'am trying to get a replacement scuba pro warranty card for our reg.s and it is also taking a long time.

Are you dealing with Scuba Sciences for your Scuba Pro equip.? I enjoyed getting certified there but hate going back for warrany work for all the scuba pro equip. they talked us into. Even though I live in the west valley, all my new equip. will be thru El Mar.(Its a shame they're not auth. for Scuba Pro anymore)

azsilver:
Mempilot--the Air Z-nitrox gives the amount of battery when you start up the dive computer- it was 96%. It did not track information completely nor did it alarm when I stressed it. The LDS and put it in their Chamber tested it and guess what? it did the same thing….Back to ScubaPro it went…that is after they ascertained it was not operator error!

I guess I am kind of picky wanting my new computer to work properly….the same concern I have about any plane before I fly when I am the PIC.

Thanks for your information,

An AZ Diver & Flyer
Sounds like a bad one from the factory that slipped throught the quality control channel. The battery thing was directed at the double failure. If it works for the first couple of hours, it should work for the service life. Most computers work that way.

My wife and I each have a backup computer. They provide valuable and inexpensive trip insurance if a computer fails, as well as increased safety by allowing a malfunctioning computer to be identified. Never really needed them before our last trip. On one dive I switched from nitrox used on the previous dive and neglected to reset my Mosquito's %O2, I used the Suunto Favor to control that dive. It took about one dive for the Mosquito to again become the more conservative controlling computer.

For several trips we carried three computers between us, I had two and she had one. She skips some dives and generally remains at my depth or slightly shallower. Therefore, if her computer failed, my second computer would always be on the conservative side. Never was needed, but it provided cheap trip insurance when the cost is spread over several trips.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom