Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

April 12th. CSSP water temp around 61. Vis was pretty poor (10 feet) by platforms. Vis opened up when I swam along the wall.

April 14
Blue Lagoon, Huntsville Tx
Vis was pretty good, maybe 20' or more. Could easily see platforms and such from surface, and across them and a fair bit more once to them.
Water temp was 68 on my computer.

Spring Lake San Marcos, April 18

Temp: Same
Vis: 50'+
Spring Flow: 110cfs

Catfish Hotel was a complete mess. All the silt stirred up by cleaning upstream seems to want to settle in CH. Two of us spent 63 minutes and I honestly don't think we made that much of a difference.

5/4 Windy Point - Lake Travis
Water Temp - 68f first 5' and 64f at 50'
Vis - 15'

Had a busy day of things I didn't particularly want to do. Garage sales, kids birthday parties and so on. Finally got a chance around 6pm to take off and relax.

I put my 7mil away and broke out the summer suit: 5/3 hooded vest with 3/2 full suit.

So the water is warming up. Hope to see more of you guys out there more often. The winter has been a little lonely.

Last edited:
Lake Murray Oklahoma (Marietta Landing) on 4/28/2013

I saw pretty much the same conditions on two dives from the beach. The
first was a Northerly and back course. The second was going East from
the beach along the wall and back. Temps were as low as 59F on one
dive and 60F on another. Vis was quite variable and complex to explain.
Some parts were more than 20 feet and others less than 5 feet. It was
still enjoyable despite the low vis in some areas. On the low vis parts
follow your buddy or compass closely. When we found a more open
area it could be explored at a leisurely pace. Finally I saw some fish:
three bass.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

Excellent vis in general for a mud hole. At least 20 feet where people hadn't
already disturbed the silt. My computer records the lowest temp
encountered on a dive and it says 62F. There was a thermocline
somewhere between 20-25 feet. I didn't note the actual temperature
above the thermocline but it was definitely much warmer above it. Plenty
of fish at the plane wreck to observe and some bass in other areas. Plus
one turtle in a very shallow area.

[video=youtube_share;rZwehs7Owkg]http://youtu.be/rZwehs7Owkg[/video]

Last edited:
I went up to Murray today, Tuesday May 7th 2013 for a little dip.

Marietta's Landing
Air temps = mid 70's on arrival (10:30am)
Surface temps= 67°
30' temps= 62°
60' temps= 58°
Viz= some places 5'....some others 20'
Ambient light to about 35' then it was time to turn on my light
Dive time 1.5hrs (drysuit with relief valve)

IMG_0522.jpg
Lots of light shining in the water, so viz wasn't like you're seeing here
Saw the biggest crappy!! Scared the bee-geezuz outta me!

Spring Lake, San Marcos, May 9

Spring Flow: 101cfs (very low)
Vis: 60'+
Temp: Same

Pete and me were assigned either Catfish Hotel or Deep Hole. Aaron said that they both needed work badly. When we got to Catfish, there was between a foot and two feet of sunken coontail on the bottom. Under that there was between 1 to 4 inches of dead algae (easy to clean). We did what we could in the hour dive and made great headway.

The preferred path into Cream of Wheat is closed due to coontail. Cream of Wheat desperately needs to be finned. The entrance of Little Riverbed has 2 1/2 to 3' of coontail on the bottom. Ossified Forrest is in relatively good shape. Riverbed needs scooters to clear the algae.

Last Thursday, the Wounded Warriors used the Training Area for OWC classes. This was the first time the Training Area was used for classes since the lake was reopened.

Aquarena Center was scheduled for over 300 students to tour the lake today. Normally that means that divers should be careful to not screw up the visibility that much. That was not the case today. The instructions we were given was to "do what you have to do" without regards to visibility.

Bottom line is that the AC needs more divers in the water cleaning the place up. The "regular divers" are having to jump from problem spot to problem spot. If you are certified to dive in Spring Lake and are available during the week, put in a dive request.

I try to dive every Thursday morning at 10 and there is another team that dives Tuesday morning at 10 if you need a buddy.

Pretty good vis. 10-20 feet. Slightly better in spots where no one
had visited recently and stirred up the silt. Thermocline at 25
feet. 64F below the thermocline and 75F above it. The plane,
several platforms, the Cisco, and nearby areas visited. Many bass
(some surprisingly curious), croppy, and turtles observed.

Some video I took:
[video=youtube_share;Qm35E5cKeuA]http://youtu.be/Qm35E5cKeuA[/video]

New wreck not yet deployed:

Stillhouse Hollow Lake: 05/16/2013 @ 6:20 PM
Max Depth: 22 ft. Temp at Max Depth: 70 deg. Visibility: 4 to 8 ft. Time: 67 min. Dive Activity: Equip checkout and UW nav training.

Swam from shore near west end of pavillion to dive platform (120 deg. azimuth for approx 250 mtrs.). From the platform, headed towards shore to depth of 15 ft. Stayed at this depth and swam around the peninsula to boat launch. Hit max depth along this route to see if viz would open up. It didn't.

Spring Lake, San Marcos, May 16

Temp: same
Vis: 50'+
Spring Flow: 102cfs (dropped to 99 yesterday)

We cleaned up some of the coontail in Deep Hole. It was the worst I have seen in 8 years. Pete and I went through 2500psi in 40 minutes. Spring Lake needs more dive hours. With the current flow hanging around 100cfs, 6 dive hours a day are acceptable under the Habitat Conservation Plan. Right now, Spring Lake is getting 15 hours a week from divers (staff and volunteers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom