Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring Lake, San Marcos, Sept 16

Vis: 60'+
Temp: Same
Spring Flow: 222cfs

Cleaned the algae in Riverbed today. Pete and me were joined by Livn2dive and we got about 80% of the job done. We did not get down to Catfish Hotel, so it will be a mess from the work we did.

There was a lot of coontail in the springs at Cream of Wheat and Ossified Forrest still is looking good.

Me and my dive buddy cleaned in River Bed and Catfish Hotel. There were some balls and clumps of algae, but it wasn't totally covered or anything (see previous post). We tried to send them all downstream.

Visibility was not as good as usual but there were divers in the lake before us. It was still >10 m vis.

Temp - 69 deg F

Along the wall from Sisco past Scuba Toys entry

20-25ft / Vis 10ft / Temp 85
30ft / Vis 6ft / Temp 78
35ft / Vis 3ft / Temp 74

Needed hood and gloves for more depth.

3 hours bottom time, only saw other divers on the surface

Water Temp: 84 on the surface
Visibility: 8 - 10 feet
Thermocline: 31 feet

Did 4 dives this weekend: 2:28 min, 2:54 min, 2:50 min, 3:02 min. Viz is decreasing, less below the thermocline where it's also tannin colored. Didn't see any active perch nests. There are thousands of baby fish in the hydrilla. Water warmed up a couple degrees. Saw a turtle, he thought he was hiding, moved kind of slow and had long nails. Lots of classes out this weekend.

Robert has his camper ready for rent. $100 for 2 people, $25 for each additional person. Renting it for 2 nights gets a discount.

Sunday, 9/19/2010
Mansfield Park Dive area
Max Depth: 105 feet
Total Bottom time with deco: 58 minutes
Water temp: 100-105 feet, 63 degrees
surface to 40 feet, 83 degrees
Visibility: Above 60 feet, varied 3 foot in most places
Below 60 feet, 15-20 feet with some particulate matter floating around in the
water.
Lots of decaying fish laying on the bottom at 100 plus feet on the way to the dam.

Wednesday 9-22-10
Mansfield
Divers – paulw – Paul M
Air Temp 88
Water Temp @ Surface – 83
Water Temp @ 70' - 70
Max Depth - 80'
Vis to 20' - 3' to 5'
Vis 20' to 50' - 6 to 10'
Vis 50’ to 80 - 20 to 25 maybe 30'

We dropped below the surface just as rain came across the lake and the vis was the normal 3 to 5ft stuff, we went on out to the sail boats and the vis opened up to about 10ft and I thought NICE. We headed down to the airplane and checked it out and I could see down in the channel so we dropped down and at about 60 the vis was opening up and at 70 it was crystal clear, probably the best I have seen at the dam. We noticed that at about 65ft you could shine your light up and see a cloud of silt floating. As we approached the dam the vis went down considerably but we were at our turning point anyway. Great dive.

Spring Lake September 23

Vis: 50'+
Spring Flow: 223cfs

Did the run from Cream of Wheat to Catfish Hotel (again). Pulled a lot of coontail from the springs in COW. Ossified Forrest is still looking good. Riverbed still has patches of algae. Catfish Hotel still has a lot of debris. All the humps along the route are fairly clear.

Spring Lake September 24-25

Vis: 50'+
Spring Flow: 223cfs

Worked Deep Hole, attempted to fin the layer of recently deposited silt, needs someone with a scooter or a bigger team. Results not spectacular but decent.

Also worked Arch Site, removed coontail and algae from grid.

Saw an 8" crayfish, made me hungry, left and went to lunch.

Spring Lake, San Marcos, September 30

Vis: Variable, Very shallow, 30' (lot of material in the water), below 10' 50'+
Spring Flow: 226cfs

Assigned to work Deep Hole and Arch Site. We had five (5) divers this morning, John, Pete, Peppermintpaddi, livn2dive, and me. I made such a mess in Deep Hole that they all worked Arch Site. Spent the first 25 minutes of the dive doing heavy finning on the north end of Deep Hole (zero vis). Hopped over to Arch Site to let the vis improve in Deep Hole, went back and spent the next 35 minutes doing minor silt finning. The north end of Deep Hole is now clear of silt from the low pressure springs at the north end down to Web Cam.

Deep Hole is now in very good shape, the hump between DH and Arch Site is getting overgrown. Arch Site's lines are clean with minor algae on the site (need to use scooters to finish the job).

Mansfield Damn, Lake Travis

0-70: pea soup with big ol chunks of ham
past 100: 50ft+ if not more, amazing, ton of huge dead carp, approx 60F at 120

the same cloud of silt paulw mentions above was seen at 69ft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom