Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Murray - Marietta Landing
7 May 2011

Air temp 86 F estimated
Water temp: Surface 70 F
Depth 62 F

Quiet dive at Marietta Landing. A few divers there. A few boaters there. All divers wandered around from 10 ft to 50 ft.

Here's the important part: Visibility: 1 ft !!!!!!
Visibility: 1 ft !!!!!

Sunday May 8, 2011
Weather Sunny with a slight breeze
Air Temp 93F
Surface temp 72F
Dive Time 51 min
Max Depth 105'
Vis 2-3 down to ~70
Vis 70 to depth <1

We went into the trees and ran a line. Hard to see where you are going in zero vis. Very cold at depth 54F.

Date/Time: May 14th, 9:30AM
Weather: Sunny and breezy
Air Temp: 84F
Surface/Water Temp:74-75F
Dive Time: 72 mins
Max Depth: 14'
Vis: ~20'

Typical Comal river dive. A little cloudier than usual, probably due to the rain last week. Lots and lots of fish, more than usual. Lots of crawfish too. Saw quite a number of little "clouds" (schools) of baby fish being herded around by what I'm assuming were parents or something, they were Sunfish. Spent most of my time just watching the fish. Overall the river looks to be in good shape, more so than last year, all the foliage is back in force as well.

CSSP

Surface temp 77* thermal starts at about 17 feet. Water temp at 17 ft is about 72ish. Below 23 feet water is @&$*$**% cold.

Vis 15 to 20 feet. Naturally it's better when the sun is out.

Air temp was 72*F with a -40000* wind chill.

Didn't get a chance to post Yesterday at work but was out at Canyon Lake Tuesday May 10th and Friday the 13th, diving Overlook Park.

Tuesday it was cloudy but very nice, 79 degrees.
Water was 53 degrees at 95 feet with maybe 4' vis in the trees, coming up to 60 degrees in the 50 foot range with 10-12 foot vis, and upper 60's in the 30 foot range.

Friday it was hot and sunny in the high 80's.
55 degrees at 99 feet maybe 2' vis, near 70 degrees in the 30 foot range with varrying vis around 10 foot.

Lake Travis, Mansfield Park Dive Area
Max depth: 128 feet
Total dive time including deco was 50 minutes
Air temp: 79 degrees
Water temps:
Surface-74 degrees
80 feet-61 degrees
128 feet-56 degrees
Visibility:
Best vis was 60-70 feet, about 8-10 feet
80-90 was 2-4 feet
100 1-2 feet
below 100: vis in inches
Walk is getting longer to the water from the parking lot. Tops of the gates at the dam are exposed.
Stopped by the plane fuselage, then dropped down to the wreck at 70 feet. Reached max depth while at the dam
and worked my way back upstream. Braille diving would best explain that part of the dive.

My computer took three readings:

55F @ 33 feet
60F @ 28 feet
62F @ 25 feet

Those readings were below the thermocline which was around 20 feet.

It was much more pleasant above the thermocline maybe in the 70s.

Visibility varied. Twenty feet in spots but always enough to maintain
buddy contact easily.

Last edited:
TWIN LAKES May 22

Vis was pretty decent at 10'-15'
Surface Temp 78 degrees
Thermocline at 20' - !@#$%COLD
Just above Thermocline 72 degrees

Nobody out there! Lots of fish!

May 22nd, 2011
Lake Travis, Bob Wentz Park

Air temp 79F
Surface Temp 75F
Max Depth 54'
Water temp at depth 69F
Vis 1-3'@0-30'
Vis 5-7'@40'
Vis 7-10@50'

It was really crowded at Barstow's. I went out early and found the sandbar open! I parked at the first spot on the left and found the water about 20 yds or so on either side. I had never been diving in this area before. I decide to check gear and dive on the shallow side first, worthless. Just lots of shallow swimming.
The Lake side was a different story. I didn't need to go below my max depth. I think my vis estimates are a bit conservative. The vis did drop as I swam North. I found enough good vis, comfortable temps and grottos at this depth for an easy 60 minute dive. I found the cable hanging off a cylinder @~42' that tied on a stump and went down at an angle. I'm assuming this goes to scoreboard. I left the park at 2 as it started to fill with cars.

Back
Top Bottom