Dive destinations without any cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayos Cochinos, Guanaja.

I don't think any cruise lines call at Utila either.

Not Roatan. Carnival just recently built a new cruise port at Mahogany Bay on the south side. Other ships dock at Coxen Hole nearby.

Utila as well.

There are a few dive-ops of good quality on Roatan that do exclude cruise ship visitors as a rule, some segregate them entirely... if that was what was being asked.

I hope to God that the people of Roatan know that they need to defend their island from cruise ships if they want to preserve their environment. With the cruise ships came the Wendys and the new huge supermarket. Its actually criminal to bring "western" accomodations to a place like Roatan. You will only ruin a once lush and amazing dive spot. I head there tomorrow and feel this will be my last journey but we will see.

I hope to God that the people of Roatan know that they need to defend their island from cruise ships if they want to preserve their environment. With the cruise ships came the Wendys and the new huge supermarket. Its actually criminal to bring "western" accomodations to a place like Roatan. You will only ruin a once lush and amazing dive spot. I head there tomorrow and feel this will be my last journey but we will see.

LOL, You seem not to even know Wendy's is going through closing and the applebees has closed . So who did you plan to invest with that took your money? If you really only know of the few miles of really developed shoreline then your an Idiot. Did you invest in a deal gone bad because you did not research? Did you believe you could retire and live like a king for $500a month? Your post is so synonymous with so many others that have fallen for thedream without doing homework . I do no care how many ships come in, I have over 12 acres I call home that never see cruiser, most are private roads. My water acces it guaruteed from my waterfront property, Were you the one tht wanted to buy Fosters? Or at least lease it?

LOL, You seem not to even know Wendy's is going through closing and the applebees has closed . So who did you plan to invest with that took your money? If you really only know of the few miles of really developed shoreline then your an Idiot. Did you invest in a deal gone bad because you did not research? Did you believe you could retire and live like a king for $500a month? Your post is so synonymous with so many others that have fallen for thedream without doing homework . I do no care how many ships come in, I have over 12 acres I call home that never see cruiser, most are private roads. My water acces it guaruteed from my waterfront property, Were you the one tht wanted to buy Fosters? Or at least lease it?

I was there last week Wendys was still open:idk: ...btw I pointed out your house to my friends from our dive boat :)

Cruise ship clientele are a pain for me but they are life blood to the local population. When their income is $200 or $300 a month how will the pristine reefs pay for their drinking water? I'm there for two or three weeks a year. They never leave. I'll defer to their needs and support trying to find a way to handle cruise ships AND maintain the environment.

What are you talking about? Did I miss something? Where in his post did he talk about losing money or investing?

What are you talking about? Did I miss something? Where in his post did he talk about losing money or investing?

I didn't see that either, but what was written in that post #5 was a bit naive. Thinking that "innocent local savages" anywhere will ever shiv a git about the long term environment impacts... and that will overcome the need for MTV and CocaCola, it's never worked before. People have historically sold-out their children's environmental inheritance for silly things like food and medical care, not to mention blue jeans and designer sunglasses.

If "we civilized 1% Nations" drop off tons of cash to keep the locals from destroying their environment, well- that hasn't worked anywhere else. In Honduras, the Government is regarded worldwide as in the top 10 of the most corrupt.

Success brings the new wave of feel-good eco-tourists which further kills everything that was so attractive. Start at jet fuel and go from there.

I think Swimbody might not understand the long term perspective. To say that you won't go to a tropical paradise (I head there tomorrow and feel this will be my last journey but we will see), you're presenting a self-defeating stance. I hope we get a trip report and a new dive-log update!

If you go, you'll screw-it up even worse.

Stay home, send money for a fence.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom