Dive destinations without any cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rostan Man,

I sort of agree. It's a tough issue to be sure. There are a few places I can think of that have realized that if you allow people with good money to catch the same fish over and over, rather than eating or selling everyone you can catch that there is value and sustainability on that. Some, but not many, 3rd world nations have learned and enforced that lesson. Tough issue to be sure.

Just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss the referenced bad investment.

Heading to utilarental myself this week for a couple of weeks of work (on my own property RTB, so no worries about not complying with local labor laws (which I do with my caretaker)) and looking forward to some nice diving in between.

Cheers.

Never mentioned any bad investments. Just returned from a great trip. I love going to Roatan in the slow season. It's hot and sunny and the diving at all depths is pretty darn warm. I never wore a suit and my body fat is less than 18% and I was always comfortable. Viz was low, 40-50ft due to some weather being shot off the hurricane that was near the pacific side of Mexico upon arrival. Saw lots of life, tons of turtles but alas, the big fish are hard to find. We did have a pod of wild (not AKRs) dolphins swim up on us at Turtle Crossing in about 30 feet of water. Viz was low and it was overcast so only two semi decent photos with low light were taken.

Yes, I saw the Wendy's...it's still outside of French Harbour and it's still there. The Crapplebees is gone, so that's awesome. Only two cruise ships came this week due to it being low season. We never felt the surge of fat idiots on the beach. Mahogany Bay is doing what it was supposed to do. I was pleasantly surprised at the whole trip. The people, as usual, are wonderful. We took a day long island tour (our second one) to soak in the island that we love so much. Went all the way to the end of the East side (Old Port Royal) and could see the marshlands, Morat, Barbareta as well as Guanaja all the way down the chain. I would love to find someone who knew that stretch of islands like the back of their hand and could give us a guided dive tour. I'd love to find a live aboard that could put something together like that.

It's good to see that the islanders and the Ministry of Tourism (just my opinion) are remaining agreeable to tourists and the growth it provides. The roads are slowly being improved, the paving of streets once sandy and riddled with pot holes are slowly going away.

We ate responsibly this trip since the decimation I'm seeing on the reefs of big fish brought to light that its all our jobs to do what's right both on and off land.

Went down to Las Sirenas for some Lionfish Ceviche. They were out but still pounded back several rum punches and had their asylum wings and fresh plantains. Good day.

The diving was pretty good. We dove with Mayan Divers. Great outfit. Sarah and Jeanau(sp?) DM'ed with us and we were free to explore what we wanted to. In 5 trips I've covered most of the West End dives and a bunch of the south side sites. I started to ask a fellow dive traveller about other spots. Seems Bonaire was his favorite so that will be next. We got Advanced Cert'ed this trip as well as Nitrox. I'm getting a dive computer immediately since doing long math in the heat after two beers taking the Nitrox final exam nearly killed my wife. Only got in 10 dives as my partner in crime just doesn't have the attention nor patience for a full trip of diving. (I'm quite the opposite).

Sorry to have thought the trip was going to be a bust. It was not. We rented a house next door to Henry Morgans. We had a nice breeze and a great clean house with fresh coffee (thanks Ron!) I highly recommend you rent that house and dive with Mayan. it's a great setup and Omar his driver is a very pious religious man who will stop at the Plaza Mar for your grocery needs.

About the airplane ride. We took United and both there and back we were delayed. I'm a former bus driver so I can attest that it's always best to book as early as you can to eliminate delays. We arrived back in Houston an hour late and drove back to Austin. We got into town around 12:20am. I won't fly out that late again since United is showing its colors as the delayed carrier its always been known as. I miss Continental as they were a truly class outfit. The airport was a nice surprise too on the way out. Very speedy, immigration has been streamlined and the waiting area didn't feel like a bus station. On the way in its the same shock to everyone new. Someone tried to steal a young girl's suitcase upon arrival but the crook was apprehended (a husband and wife team).

There is lots more to share, I will begin to process and write more as the hell of work creeps back into my rum soaked brain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom