Dive Flag Laws in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see, some of the hazards with towing a flag have already been mentioned. Getting caught up in the prop of an idiot boater is a good one, hadn't thought about that. :)

I did a few shore dives in the keys last week. I actually was able to get to 35 feet on most of them.

Have you heard of any divers in the keys getting cited for not towing a flag? I'll set one up and I'm capable of not surfacing until I get back to it. Just curious how risky in regards to the authorities this is?

No particular issue, I just want my hands free for things like taking photos, grabbing lobsters, swiming through things, you know, fun stuff :)

I'm curious, where in the Keys are you doing shore dives?

We dove a couple of quarries but honestly I don't recall the mm. My buddy lives on Big Coppit and it had to be a few miles further up the keys from there.

We dove a couple of quarries but honestly I don't recall the mm. My buddy lives on Big Coppit and it had to be a few miles further up the keys from there.

That I know of there are only 2 quarrys in the Keys and I know you didn't dive my quarry... Because you would have had to see me and mine is not being dove at this time until the clean-up on Memorial Day. I also don't know how the rules are at the other quarry about dive flags. Dive flags work in two ways one for watercrafts to see a diver is down and also to keep track of where a diver is at any time. If you were diving a quarry with a dive flag you would not had to worry about current or waves so you should have been fine with a flag and stopping to take a picture.

You must however use a Dive Flag always in open water and must be with you. The FWC does not play games here in the Keys You Break The Law You Pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to tow it, that just sucks :) Thanks
Why does that suck? I'm interested in your answer (have not read past this post yet)... Many divers in Fl have dive flags for shore dives, that are clipped off to their depth and profile....

No speargirl I didn't dive your quarry and there are a lot of quarries in the keys not just two. Not every quarry has a toll booth :) Many of them are accessible to open water where boats can actually enter them so I do see the need for a flag. I just hate towing one.

I haven't spent much time in Florida yet but I do notice they love their laws. Lots of restrictions and lots of rude people. Can't wait to get back next week.

I'm capable of not surfacing until I get back to it.

This is funny :rofl3: How do you know this:popcorn: BTW there is no shore diving in the Keys :wink:

You also forgot to mention Florida has the best diving in the United States :)

You are right there are more than 2 quarry's here in the Keys but they are on private property owned by the State. I have one right here in Layton but if the police catch you they will warn you first and fine you in 30min if you have not left the property. I think if a boat can get in it's called a Bite not a Quarry. We have a lot of Bites down here where sail boats/boats go when there is a storm coming in for safe mooring.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom