Dive flags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be nice if "the man" were as concerned with enforcing boating laws as they seem to be about land-based DUIs and speeding in school zones and such.

My guess is, the people with the boats have more money, and either bribe "the man" through one means or another, OR, spend their money on lawyers to beat the rap, hinting to "the man" that it should better spend its time on harassing people without the money for lawyers.

Now the:shelli:BEER BOTTLES" I guess Because they are all around on the bottom of the lakes where we dive we could carry a mess bag full in case of emergences.

Wonder what would happen if you started filling all those bottles and letting them float to the surface... :cool2:

In my area we all use SMBs to do our deco and safety stops (no fixed lines on the local wrecks) and there is nothing like a 6' orange "Diver Down, Stay Clear" marker to attract every numb-skull within 7miles.

Infact it's not unusual for the boatie to pull it out of the water for a "Just looking at it mate". We've even come up on three jet-skiers using our SMB as a can for their impromptue race.

It's nice that people see them, reasuring that they stand out enough to attract attention, especially if I'm in trouble. I just wish boaties thought "Hmmm, I'll just make sure that it's not a diver in trouble" rather than "Hmmm, I wonder if I can nail it on the first pass".

I think the answer is education of different groups who share a common environment. Before I started diving I didn't know what an SMB was, why would a boatie have a clue? We should all try and learn something about the other sports we share the water with, to help us be safe and so we can render assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom