Dive gear saved my bacon today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
And I was 10 miles from the water.

First heavy snowfall of the winter brings out every brainless idiot on the planet. They just don't understand that speed limits are for ideal conditions and not ice skating rinks.

So I'm headed over the 4th Of July pass around 40 which was a good speed for conditions when one semi decides to pass another at 5mph or less. I'm behind the passing semi when I look in my rearview mirror and see a black mass headed my way FAST. The next thing I know is the mirror hit me in the head. I remember nothing until I realize I'm headed the wrong way about 50' away off the roadway. My radio has broken away from the floor mounts, I'm still in the drivers seat but laying down and it's real drafty in my rig. Yup, full size Ford F-350 hit me at 40 or better by my guess but the traffic guys think much faster.

I store my main dive gear right behind my drivers seat. I removed the left rear jump seat so the gear packs in very nice for easy quick access. The gear being there kept the drivers seat from falttening out all the way or even leaving the drivers position.

It took patrol units almost an hour to get to my position which was only 14 miles out of town and all freeway. The second unit that arrived packed me up and took me to the hospital where I got the usual "Wait until tomorrow and see how it hurts". Duh, been there, done that and I'm not looking forward to the weekend. I do have to go and get a car and get my rig cleared out. Then getting the glass out of the dive gear, again. What is going to suck is I work the north out laying areas of the county where we need a 4X4. Now I'll be in an old POSER but at least I'm not walking my disatrict.

Glad you're OK, just aching, eh?

Over the past couple of days I have been up and down but today is a better one. Just every joint on my bod is sore and a slight head ache so I went to the office to get another rig. I took my bosses who has a full size Chevy SUV. He can get around easy in an old patrol car where I can’t.

Getting a good look at my wrecked one today really tees me off. Everyone go out and look at your rear view mirror. That’s the shinny thing that is glued to the windshield. :wink:
See if it is a friction fit or has a set screw securing it. Mine was a friction fit and that is the reason it came flying off striking me in the head. Bad idea Ford and who ever.

Then I can’t get my Bushmaster out of the rack. Seems that it distorted the electric rack and is wedged between the rack ands back seat. It goes to the armory before I try and use it again. The 870 is just fine.

I thought my seat back broke. Nope it was the entire seat that broke loose from the floor. That means my dive gear being where it was really saved my bacon. My Swift water helmet didn’t fair so well. Glad my head wasn’t in it because it has a nice crack in it.

Per the shop and first est. it’s official that she’s totaled.

Oof.

Glad you just got yer bell rung hard and are still here to talk about it.

Chug
What is this stuff you guys call snow anyway?

Almost all rear view mirrors are friction fit so they break away when your head hits it.

My point is that my head didn't hit the mirror. The mirror came off the bracket which is still attached to the windshield, flew across the rig and cleaned my clock.

Well, I'm now in a Trail Blazer with all my gear switched over and ready to respond. I got lucky and just my ropes, PFD's, Float Coats and spare gear got the glass. My main gear ended up glass free.

They ordered two new Ford SUV's today so we should have them in a couple of weeks and ready to go by the first of the year. I want a rubber one.

What is this stuff you guys call snow anyway?

It's the stuff that you find in the freezer section of that big box in the kitchen. The stuff you take out and put in the Margaritas. What’s a Hurricane? We can shovel snow but can you shovel a Hurricane? OH wait, you can’t a shovel after it blows away. Ours stay where we leave them.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom