Dive inside mansfield dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been told that the inlets of mansfield dam connect (not the true inlets at 180 feet but the grates that start at about 20 or so feet and form rooms), that you can go in the first open grate and dive down and enter the rest of them from the first "cage" does anyone have any information on this?

FIXXERVI6:
I've been told that the inlets of mansfield dam connect (not the true inlets at 180 feet but the grates that start at about 20 or so feet and form rooms), that you can go in the first open grate and dive down and enter the rest of them from the first "cage" does anyone have any information on this?

I dont think I would make an attempt at anything like this without some overhead environment training. This sounds like a way to commit suicide in a greusome manner. I would be willing to bet you the LCRA would prosecute for tresspassing at the very least. I dont mean to be negative, but this sounds insane.

I have overhead training, and I assume that if they did not want people inside the grate they would close it, its been open for years, I have dropped inside to look around but did not go beyond the opening (stayed in direct path to the surface) some time ago.

Each Jailhouse has two flood gates at approx 160 feet.
It is possible to enter the jailhouse and drop to the gate inlet pipes, its then possible to go some distance into the pipe to the actual gates.
Its not just dark, its advanced darkness...approx 57 degrees and viz will drop to "0" in a heartbeat, narcosis has been noted to be pretty thick there from time to time as well.

Going into the pipes for me is a no no in my opinion, they open that puppy up I don't want to be near that intake!

FIXXERVI6:
Going into the pipes for me is a no no in my opinion, they open that puppy up I don't want to be near that intake!
I have some pics of the Construction of the Dam here....
http://users2.ev1.net/~slipstrm/

Let me make this very simple and basic.
I almost died with a buddy two years ago doing this very thing. I am going to tell you want happened so you understand why you do don’t want to do it. I am going to leave out certain details because we cannot account for the idiot factor that might read this.

It was a night dive, myself and my buddy had planned the dive. We entered the water by ourselves. We checked in at the stairs saying we were going for a night dive. We were both following the rules for overhead diving. We used the smallest lights to get over to the dam and swim out to the columns. We had done a deep dive early down the faces- no problem and we knew how we would enter the dam.

Once we entered the column we turned on our HID lights. The space was restrictive shaped like a half circle flat on one side and curved around the front. There were no rooms and the columns were not attached inside. We weren’t in very deep when it started, that little voice in your head that says- “you don’t want to be here.” I sank down a little further (leading the dive) and I heard it again- “you really don’t want to be here.” A second after that I felt something touch my shoulder, I turned around flat 180 degrees- still no one but my buddy above me. We are checking out the grates a little deeper and I felt this strong punch to the back of my head, I was starting to get pissed. Again turning around, my buddy asked if I was ok? I called the dive and we ascend slowly up. We had no risen 10ft when the alarm for the turbines went off. A very loud noise could be felt through the water- BEEP, BEEP. Emotions flooded through my body and I gave the “emergency exit” hand sign. Followed by the finger- for Fubard’d dive. This was probably one of the worst moments in my diving history, we were not keeping to the 30ft per minute ascent rate and my computer was complaining up a storm- too bad. In the back ground you could hear the turbines starting up a slow whirr and it was starting to get louder and stronger. We popped out of out little entrance and I grabbed my buddy and slammed him on top of the column so we were on our knees. We dumped the air in our wings and made sure we were planted. I was not sure of the water movement and you can’t always see swirling water. I grabbed some silt and sprinkled it in front of us. The water did not move. Finally, my heart slowed down, my computer calculated that we were still alive at 20ft- Duhhhh. After a minute of sitting on the tops we swam back to the stairs. My buddy was praying the way back I could her him giving thanks. I thanked various religious groups myself and that little voice. We sat at the exit in the water for a minute and said nothing. As we exited the water, a friend and Divemaster asked “how was your dive?”- we both looked at each other and said nothing and walked up the stairs.

It has taken me sometime to talk about this dive, I figure that my life was spared it is a good think to share it with other people so they might not do the same. So please do not dive inside of the columns. The view is much better from the outside of the column and a lot safer.

Reactions: OTF
Holy Crapiola Andrew, that scared the crap out of me just reading it. :11: :thinkingo :whack:

The problem with the "Voice" is that most people don't listen. You were truly taken care of that night. How many lives did you use up?

Back
Top Bottom