Dive Insurance? What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls:
I have DAN insurance because I feel pretty safe knowing I have a reputable organization backing me up. Haven't obtained equipment insurance yet but I will be getting it soon and I will make sure to read that fine print moneysavr. Good info...
Reuptable? for research maybe, never for the insurance. If anything they are reputable for being dishonest and very much "per-profit" when they are supposed to be "not per-profit". Have you not heard of the Peter Bennett ordeal? http://www.scuba-forum.com/forums/peter_bennett/peter_bennett.html
They manage to pay their secretaries $80k a year, but they can't pay for your DC treatment....i see how that works.
I am with DiveAssure and they are AIG, which is reputable for the insurance, and nothing else.

ScubaLola:
Reuptable? for research maybe, never for the insurance. If anything they are reputable for being dishonest and very much "per-profit" when they are supposed to be "not per-profit". Have you not heard of the Peter Bennett ordeal? http://www.scuba-forum.com/forums/peter_bennett/peter_bennett.html
Hmm, one dishonest CEO who is ousted by DAN. That makes DAN A OK in my book. Crooks are part of life. They found one and did somthing about it.

Besides that, the issues is do they provide a valuable service? IMHO they do. Research and dive insurance. I have used both and was quite happy with the results.

Just an update, I went ahead and signed up for a 1 year Platinum Plan from Dive Assure. If everything is as stated, they seem pretty good but I just hope that I don't have to find out ....:wink:

Dive Assure it turns out has several states where they do not provide insurance...
Lousiana, Maryland, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont and West Virginia

Paul in VT

I have DAN and been with DAN now for 5 years...never had to use it (knock on wood). Since I have yet to be on a dive trip anywhere outside the US I doubt I would need any other insurance. However...if I were to have an opportunity to go anywahere outside the US on a dive trip, having a back up dive insurance may not necessarily be a bad thing. For only a couple hundred bucks, you can pretty well be covered in any situation, that is unless you are too far from a chamber when you need it most. In other words, it doesn't cost much more to carry backup dive insurance for those places that don't honor either of your plans, plus those are backup to your primary insurance...unless it doesn't cover your treatments.

Me and hubbie have DAN. Like the others, we've never had to use it, but it's extra peace-of-mind if, God-forbid, we ever need it. Check out the DAN family plan. It's not really that expensive; we spend way more per year on cheeseburgers!

I purchased DAn for my wife and I as we are Canadian and DAN didn;t have aproblem with that. I asked DiveAssure if they cover non-US citizens, and they never answered my emails....HMMMM....

Any fellow Canucks know of an insurance company that covers dives while on vacation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom