Dive Key West around Halloween

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from 26 days in Ft. Lauderdale and surroundings, I intended to make the Keys, but never made it, was having too much fun where I was. It would'nt take much too twist my arm to return!

Someone needs to take hold of the reins, conclude on the best site for the best deal. Accepted by all that are seriously interested! I can if neccessary.

Everybody can also travel at there leisure, book their own arraingements, and some of us can meet at a predetermined spot to dive?

Just another thought?:)

Assuming we're all going to do the long weekend thing...

Since Halloween is on Thursday, do you want to go the weekend before or after? Also, what type of accommodations do you want? (I'm all for renting a condo and cooking while there! Much easier on the pocketbook!) And...how many people can we scrounge up for this? I can plan on my sister and I going, maybe my hubby if he's certified by then.

Any advice from those experienced in this part of the world???? (I haven't been back there since I lived in Key West as a small child!)

Kristey

I'm all for you taking the reigns on this! (As a former travel agent by trade, I am wanting to take a break from the travel arrangement maker- as I still do it for my entire family!:D )

I'm easy going and can deal with just about anything you come up with!

Kristey

PS...I will also check out a couple of websites and see if I can get an airline employee deal on a condo or something if enough of us go!:idea:

Originally posted by SCUBAKristey
I'm all for you taking the reigns on this! (As a former travel agent by trade, I am wanting to take a break from the travel arrangement maker- as I still do it for my entire family!:D )

I'm easy going and can deal with just about anything you come up with!

Kristey

PS...I will also check out a couple of websites and see if I can get an airline employee deal on a condo or something if enough of us go!:idea:

Kristey,
Glad to do it if every one else agrees, the only conflict is, I have a couple of trips untill then; (liveaboard, Bahama's, then Coz), But I'm sure that between the two of us and a little research, we could come up with some thing! My first concern is our base? Which Key? My experience is Largo or Marathon, best for diving, and we have a brand new wreck there, that is already famous.
But there also seems to be a climate for the festival?

Some more IMPUTE, Everybody!!!:)

Originally posted by SCUBAKristey
Assuming we're all going to do the long weekend thing...

Since Halloween is on Thursday, do you want to go the weekend before or after? Also, what type of accommodations do you want? (I'm all for renting a condo and cooking while there! Much easier on the pocketbook!) And...how many people can we scrounge up for this? I can plan on my sister and I going, maybe my hubby if he's certified by then.

Any advice from those experienced in this part of the world???? (I haven't been back there since I lived in Key West as a small child!)

Kristey

Kristey,
I like the Condo idea, Most depends how many are interested in this type of deal. How many to accommodate.etc.....Once knowing this we can find a pkg. deal.

Kristey,

The Fantasyfest is from Oct 10 - 27th, so I guess we would have to be there before the actual Halloween in order to catch the festivities.
I am also OK with staying in condo.
I've been diving only Key Largo (stayed at Ramada Inn last year), so I can't say anything about other islands. But driving to Key West would probably be a problem during the fest.

I would like to go. I have dove the middle keys, its great. Much better than ket west . There are good dive ops there ,loone key, lady cyana in islamorada. The air from bwi is about 200 the best airfare i found is southwest flying to fll than drive to the keys. The hotels will be about 80 a night

If you guys want to change your date to August I will join you all for bug hunting and bring my 28 foot pontoon boat down! Can't do October (too cold) and hate touristy Key West. If you are dead set on October and Fantasyfest here is what I recommend for you guys.

The best way to save money and have diving freedom is to rent a house and split the costs. A house that week with 3 bedrooms that sleeps 14 on the water will cost around $2000.00. Local ordinances say that only 2 adults per bedroom and unlimited kids. (Don't know if they actually do head counts or not)

Secondly, a group of your size can rent a boat for all or part of the week and hire a local dive guide/dive master. If you can entice a local diver to join you and all of you are experienced you can possibly avoid the need for a paid local. HUGE savings but would caution that releases for all concerned be signed. Would also suggest that before you get "married" to the group for a week on your own rented boat everyone is agreed on what level diving and local dive sites to be visited.

If that interests you all here is a website of a lady that owns a typical house that is available for Oct. 20 - 27. It will cheaper pp to rent it for a week and not use all the days than to rent a motel room for 4 days. Not to mention what you will save cooking instead of eating out every day.

Here is the info on the house...Marathon house for rent There are many properties similar to this throughout the Keys...

19 miles from Key West and only $1000.00 for the entire Fantasy Fest! 11 days accomidations for six adds up to pennies. Sleeps six and is in a resort community with Marina, pool etc.. Privately owned and according to the website still available. A small charge from the resort to use facilities. Read the website...

It is a mob/cottage but looks pretty nice and for the extra days and 20 minutes from the festival it is a steal! You guys better send me a postcard...

Here is the link and contact info...Cheap dive digs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom