Dive Key West around Halloween

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got it Juls... if this trip has changed from "Let's go to fantasy fest and get some diving in" to "Let's go dive in Florida when it's easy to book a room", I'm not interested. If I just want to dive in Florida, I'll stay with relatives and save my money for equipment upgrades.

More than four or five days puts me out of the trip too. Would y'all want to stay in Key West, or stay in the middle Keys and drive down to Key West, or would you rather stay in Key west and drive to the better diving? Let me know and I'll start looking for a condo for us all!

Kristey

I'm not so particular about where we stay, but if it's going to be booked and expensive in Key West, and the diving is better in the middle keys, maybe it makes sense to get a place between and within driving range of both Key West and the good dive spots.

and say that if'n we want to do the long weekend thing in Sept or Oct (Fantasy Fest not withstanding) I'd might be in on things too. Especially if we can get a group large enough to get our own boat.

Plus, let's not forget that the Speigel Grove is in that general region. So we could plan at least one day's diving there.

Thats to long for me. I can do a long weekend. september would be good but i can do october

and am not even going on this trip with you guys but logically here is the situation.

Most rooms are sold out in Key West and the rates are outrageous. For example, they do have some space at the Key West Quality Inn with these rates on standard room with two double beds.
Oct 22 is 79.99
Oct 23 is 89.99
Oct 24 is 139.99
Oct 25 is 289.99
Oct 26 is 289.99

Which computes to the last 4 nights for a total of 809.96 / 4 = $202.49 each. This unit does not have a kitchen and so you will be eating out every meal costing more $$$$.

Now the mob/cottage sleeps six for 11 days and covers two weekends for $1000.00 and has a kitchen. If you only used 4 days for 6 people and LEFT IT EMPTY for the other SEVEN days it would cost each of you $166.66 and you would have a kitchen and outside BBQ facilities. Not to mention the marina etc...

Now if you found 6 other people to use your unused 7 days you could split the cost and it would only cost you each 83.33 each.

I had recently researched rooms for lobster season and that is why I knew about some of these places and rooms. Just trying to help you guys and it is entirely up to you how you plan and spend your vacation.

The link to the lady who owns the place with her email and telephone is on page two at the bottom of the thread. The hyperlink says cheap dive digs.

Hope that helps....

I think that it makes sense to stay in Marathon or Islamorada. They have nice dive ops, and yes, I would LOVE to dive Spiegel Grove (and - Duane - anyone?..). It would be probably better than to stay in Key West. And we can always car-pool and drive to attend a party or two there (costumes, costumes - everyone!)
Kristey, I did some research also, mostly on dive ops and the hotel/dive packages. I am sure we'll be able to find something!

Well, there is definitely enough interest to do the cheap dive digs that Scubagatorgal has mentioned! Frankly, I wouldn't have a problem letting the place go empty a few nights. Cudjoe Key is pretty centrally located in the Keys, allowing for (it looks like) an OK drive time to anywhere we'd want to go.

Juls...what have you found out??? This place would allow us to sleep UP TO 6 people, and it looks like we may have 8 or 9.

Thanks!

Kristey

juls is right about the diving being much better middle and upper keys and rooms will not be as much of a problem up there. In the Keys a mile is like two because of traffic and that weekend will be very congested.

Personally I think you would be much happier diving the best spots and suffering through a lengthy drive to Key West on one night. This is something you each have to decide...I was under the impression that the Fantasy Fest was the most important part of your plans rather than diving.

It's time for a vote! I vote for better diving...of course, my vote doesn't count since I am not going and ony kibbitzing...

Back
Top Bottom