Dive Key West around Halloween

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We need to do a head count so we can really get some legs on this and get some more info and some things set up. (Especially where we're all going to stay!)

Who's in for sure??? (I think we've all decided on a four day trip, so we'll go with that. October 25-28th)

Kristey

October is for sure? Are you guys going to stay in key west or upper keys. We have to get all this on the board. who is flying into what airport. Who are we diving with?? If we are staying in the middle keys i know some good people to go with.

I think we should stay in the middle keys and put up with the traffic going down to Key West for the Fantasy Fest. I'd kind of like a headcount of who all is interested so that I can look for a condo/house/hotel accordingly. (No sense getting a place that'll sleep 6 if there's going to be more than that, and vice versa.)

Kristey

If we arrive on Friday morning, we can try to get an afternoon dive in (and maybe a night dive, if anyone is interested?).

I did some research on dive ops for Marathon and Islamorada. I sent out emails (was too busy @ the office last week to call) with charter rates request.
All of the dive ops have hotel/dive packages. All have rental equipment. I chose the dive ops after reading positive comments on Rodale's Message Board.

Here is the info from the web sites so far:

Lady Cyana (Islamorada) - $48/ 2 dives
Florida Keys Dive Center (btw Key Largo and Islamorada) - $45/2 dives
Tavernier Dive Center (Tavernier) - $50/ 2 dives, $60 - wreck, $95 - three-tanks trip to Spiegel Grove. Tanks are included in the cost.
Abyss Dive (Marathon) - $73 dive package (Holiday Inn + two dives), $54 - night dive
Quiescence (Key Largo) - $44/2 dives, $89 package with Marina Del Mar hotel
Paradise Charters (Key Largo) - full day charter for up to 6 people is $600, which includes a meal, fruit, bottled water and sodas. At least 3 dives (charter is 6-7 hours). Individual rates $ 49.95/ 2 dives. $94.95 dive package with Ramada Inn.

I will post charter rates as soon as I hear from the ops.

I'll be flying out of Boston or Providence (whichever is cheaper).

I talked with a guy in marathon yesterday. He said thats a real bad time to come because of the party in key west. I found a place for 85 night. We need to book soon or it will be booked He told me that last year a1a had a 10 mile car line before key west thats how backed up it gets. If we go another weekend i can get the rooms for 45 a night not per person ,per room. He also told me there's alot of drugs and fights in key west then. I think we might want to think about another date. The hotel is the sea dell 305-743-5161. It has a pool and its clean.

...but what about hiring a boat?

Just speaking for myself, but I'm neither suprised nor worried about the drugs and fights. After all, it's Fantasy Fest, not a tea party, and that sort of crap is bound to pop up.

I want to dive, but I also want to go for the party. Going when the Fantasy Fest isn't happening makes it awfully hard to do both. If there's interest, maybe there should be a separate thread for people who'd rather spend less, not deal with the hassle, and just dive.

In my mind, the diving is only half the reason I want to go.

Stay in the middle/upper Keys for most of the trip and spend the last night at Key West. You can still get a reasonable room over the internet if you book soon. It will start getting booked up if you wait much longer...

Traffic will be ugly but as noted crowds are part of the event...

Originally posted by MSilvia
I'll be flying out of Boston or Providence (whichever is cheaper).

Where does everybody (who is interested, that is..) plan to fly to - MIA or FLL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom