Dive knife, Sea Snips, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briannapstevens

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, Scubaboarders:

I used to carry both a dive knife and Sea Snips, but I'm trying to pare down the amount of stuff I take with me.

I'm curious--do you think that Sea Snips are an adequate alternative to a dive knife? What can you do with a dive knife that you cannot do with Sea Snips (and I don't anticipate stabbing any predatory sea creatures, before someone says that! LOL)?

Do you carry both? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cheers, Brianna

For line cutting, my Trilobyte cutter is all I have actually used in practice. On a night dive on the Capt Tony in Boynton Beach, I got hung up on some thick, very strong monofilament. The Trilobyte made quick work of the line and I was on my way. I also carry a titanium knife, it was not a hard decision, though that would also have worked.

Hm--yes. Thank you for sharing your perspective! BTW, that would have scared the crap out of me if something like that happened to me at night! :)

...//... I'm curious--do you think that Sea Snips are an adequate alternative to a dive knife? What can you do with a dive knife that you cannot do with Sea Snips ...
Good question, good intent.

Tools are situational. If you are a minimalist, and anywhere near fishing line, then I agree with only a Trilobite cutter. Don't really need a knife.

Me? a fishing line cutter and this: STANLEY Wonder-Bar II, 7-1/2" - 6R301|55-045 - Grainger

...//... What do you use that for?
Mostly for moving things while looking for stuff.

The NE Atlantic is (like many other areas) a rusting graveyard of WWII ships. I love to poke around. It is also great for digging clams and anchoring me in the sand.

No, I don't push it into the sand and tie my float to it when I need both hands free. :wink:

The float use case sounds like a good idea, actually! :)

I love the image of "a rusting graveyard of WWII ships." Now I want to go dive there! Makes Monterey kelp sound less glamorous!

I have a Aqualung Squeeze tool (SS), that holds up well. I have a Trilobyte/EEZYCUT mounted to my Shearwater. They are both small. I find those two items have taken care of all issues I've come across. But I'm sure there are others that would say that is insufficient based on their experience.

Back
Top Bottom