Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My light doesn’t have the small glow in the LEDs when in the OFF position as noted by Jim in post #42, but it flickers as I turn the end cap. My gut feel is that we both have faulty ON-OFF switches, but the light itself works fine otherwise, so I’ll live with the flickers.
My light also flickers while screwing on the end cap, but never once it's screwed down all the way. Although I have no proof, I think it's related to how the light cycles through the different brightnesses. The light changes mode in response to moving the switch to "on", then slightly off, then "on" again, rather than a mechanical switch with several different indents for different light levels. This makes me think the light levels are controlled by a circuit, and maybe screwing on the battery cap sends confusing on/off signals. Or maybe not :wink:

-Don

I'm starting to think I need to order 2 more....

Jim....

Hi Manuel,

Count me in for some dives and donuts! I dive the RI and Mass. coast all the time so I'm sure we can meet and do some diving this summer.
Hoppe the light works well for you. I now own 3 as my son is also just started diving too. I did not do any cleaning or modifications to my light at all and so far they have proved to be reliable.

The light does flicker when you screw in the cap but I was told by a friend who is into electronics that it is normal in some of this lights.

Happy diving!!

I also just purchased a similar offering using the same logic as Fiddler. 5000 Lumen 3X CREE XM L2 LED Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch Waterproof Light | eBay I paid $22.50. I haven't even picked up batteries for it yet, but will soon. I am still very skeptical that it will deliver anywhere close to the rated light output or that it will actually prove to be waterproof - but $22.50 - I've gambled larger sums on less rewards.

Good point about salt water in the battery case, Craig.
I bought the same light plus a similar smaller torch with one led as backup. Siliconed the o-rings when I received them and after a couple of dives. Both work very well, last well over an hour with high capacity Panasonic batteries. I've taken both lights down to >30m as a test and they were fine. Really good buy for the price!

Ok... We need someone to find a place to get good O-rings to replace the china ones... We will need part numbers and place to order... Who's gonna step up for this job ??? Jim...

Ok... We need someone to find a place to get good O-rings to replace the china ones... We will need part numbers and place to order... Who's gonna step up for this job ??? Jim...

Well, I haven't received them yet, but I have ordered replacements from "the o-ring store" www . theoringstore . com . They have a wide choice of o-rings, including metric sizes. Minimum order for most o-rings is 4 or 5, and shipping is $5 for small orders.

I measured the o-rings that came with my light as N2.0x21mm front and N2.0x22mm rear (one of the front o-rings was actually 1.3 x 24mm, but I think that wasn't really the right size). The channels are 27mm and 28mm diameter, so I have also ordered 2.0x26 and 2.0x27 sizes, since I think that a 1mm stretch is probably really good for these lights. I'll test these when I get the o-rings.

Well, I haven't received them yet, but I have ordered replacements from "the o-ring store" www . theoringstore . com . They have a wide choice of o-rings, including metric sizes. Minimum order for most o-rings is 4 or 5, and shipping is $5 for small orders.

I measured the o-rings that came with my light as N2.0x21mm front and N2.0x22mm rear (one of the front o-rings was actually 1.3 x 24mm, but I think that wasn't really the right size). The channels are 27mm and 28mm diameter, so I have also ordered 2.0x26 and 2.0x27 sizes, since I think that a 1mm stretch is probably really good for these lights. I'll test these when I get the o-rings.

Cool.... We will be styling with some really nice, BRITE, cheap dive torches...

jim...

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 01:17 AM ----------

Just pulled the trigger and ordered 2 more lights... :wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom