Dive light suggestions:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercaptan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys;

I'm looking for a decent "real" LED light from any manufacturer. I've been recommended to look at Green Force light products. I like the modularity aspect.

Are there any other comparable products to Green Force? I like the idea of having a canister setup with a remote LED head. I also want a backup light with a high output LED. Being powered by alkaline batteries is a big no-no. I've used enough high power flashlights to know that CR123s or Li-Ion technology is the way to go.

I've dealt with Princeton Tec, Underwater Kinetics, and I feel while their offerings are fine... they aren't adequate to my needs. I want robust, powerful lights that are built to last to abusive conditions (hence when seeing the Green Force I was immediately excited).

So right; looking for:

LED Cannister light w/ Li-Ion or other lithium battery chemistry
LED backup light (like Green Force Diamond Plus size)

both having rugged metal construction.

I recently browsed some threads about Salvo lights; are these well reviewed?

Thanks!

If you want a led cannister light, Tillytec is better for the moment. Tillytec is, in fact, green force Germany. Their products are fully compatible with green force but their led lights are more powerfull

The led 500 is a good performer more powerfull than a 10 watt hid.
The w30 backup is also a very good light made in delrin that you can run with alkalines or nimh or rechargeables.

Check their site (in german, i'm afraid)

TillyTec - ein einzigartiges Lampensystem

And the independant test of some led lights by an independant german magazine. There are beamshots!!!

* DiveInside * - das frische Onlinemagazin von Taucher.Net

Thanks. I was probably going to rip off the emitter (if possible in these lights) and upgrade them myself; I know a little bit about LED electronics.

I'm almost tempted to make my own light, does anyone sell empty canisters?

I'm pretty happy with my TillyTec lights: HID35, LED1000 and W30 backup, and can certainly recommend them. I made some short demo clips while cave diving in Yucatan/Mexico, so you can actually see for yourself...
(1) HID35 (with flood reflector) & LED1000 (with diffuser)
(2) W30
FYI: I met Tilly once at Boot Dusseldorf but otherwise have no affiliation with TillyTec what-so-ever.

Make sure you like LED lights first. I use LED, HID, and normal tungsten, and while I like the extended battery life and cool running of the LED lamps I don't actually like the quality of light they produce under water. On land they're great, but underwater I prefer either of the other two, which IMO have more reach and illuminate more naturally. This isn't to do with power but quality (characteristics) of the light emitted.

If you are looking at LED canister lights you also want to check out the Salvo lights ... I've seen their 12W LED underwater and its worked great even in the murky water we dive in (sorry no pics).

I have heard good things about their 21W LED's but have yet to see one personally so will won't pass judgement yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom