Dive location questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dunqan

Reaction score
I'm a brand new diver and I'm looking to take a little trip for my open water certification after I finish all my classwork here in Los Angeles. The date of the trip will probably be August 18-24. My girlfriend has been diving for a few years but I will need to get my certification on the trip.

One of the options we are considering is Belize, I have heard it is beautiful, but I was wondering how the weather would be during this time of year (too hot? Too many mosquitos?) and whether or not another location might be better. The Mayan ruins nearby are enticing though (but if it's 100+humidity that might ruin the fun).

A few other options are Hawaii (Big lsland or Kuai), Cozumel, Cancun or an island spot (Bonaire is out due to 18 hr+ flight and connection times, too much for a 6 day vacation). I read a few threads about drift diving in Cozumel and Cancun and how it's less than optimal for a new diver.

Hawaii might be least enticing due to price, but it's not clear to me how much diving is in locations like Belize, Caymans, etc. Any help here would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions for late August places to visit for diving and any other natural beauty?

Thanks in advance!

dunqan

Historically, your time frame is hurricane season for Belize. You might want to consider that.

I noticed you mentioned a couple of the Hawaiian islands, but not Maui. It has a lot of good shore diving opportunities and Molokini crater which is extraordinary. Also charters from the West side run over to Lanai which has some really cool dive sites including the Cathedrals (lava caves)

Right now you could probably get a good deal on a direct flight from LAX.

Forget everything negative anyone said about Cozumel for new divers and go there. It is the least expensive, best diving you can find. You will not be sorry!

I'm about to go and do much the same thing.

I did my first four dives in Hawaii with a girlfriend that was certified so she could do the night dive whereas I was restricted to snorkelling. I'm due to leave California in the next 2 to 3 days and was intending to travel to Belize. However, the weather reports I'm seeing don't look too good with the thunderstorms so I'm looking elsewhere.

I have to leave the US so that I can also apply for a visa so I need to find a country & dive location that has a US Embassy, warm water and some good diving.

Belize is out due to the weather and also due to lack of interest in Belize City where I have to spend some time due to the proximity of the US Embassy. I've also read that crime in Belize City is pretty bad and that my US ATM cards don't work in the machines out there.

US Virgin Islands looked good but the weather seems to be bad as well.

Turks & Caicos has been on my wanted list for a few years but a lack of a US Embassy rules that one out.

So I'm now working my way through the other Eastern Caribbean islands as they seem to be less prone to thunderstorms than the Western part of the Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom