Dive master, tourist bodies recovered from marine preserve off Guam; 'very unfortunat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Wray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Divers' bodies recovered
Dive master and tourist found in marine preserve
By Eric Palacios
Pacific Daily News
ejpalacios@guampdn.com

The bodies of two divers reported missing Sunday night were recovered yesterday morning in about 35 feet of water in the Piti Bomb Hole Preserve area.
The two men -- a 22-year-old local Chinese worker and dive master and a 29-year-old Chinese tourist -- became the island's eighth and ninth drowning victims of the year.
The figure equals the total number of people who drowned last year, according to Pacific Daily News files.
The men, whose identities are not being released, were reported missing around 8 p.m. Sunday. Local and federal emergency officials and two volunteer divers launched search-and-rescue efforts, which lasted late into the night.Guam Fire and Rescue personnel located the bodies around 8:50 a.m. yesterday, about 60 yards from the Piti shoreline and in one of the bomb holes, GFD Chief Frank Mesa said.
"It's very unfortunate that this happened," said Mesa, who added ocean conditions were ideal for diving during the past two days.
Mesa added that both their tanks were full of air after they were inspected. And except for one of the men missing his dive fins, both men had all their diving equipment and were wearing wet suits when their bodies were recovered. The dislodged fins were later retrieved from the same area where the bodies were found.
"Different things could have happened down there and we're not sure what exactly. What we do know is that the dive gear kept them underwater," Mesa said.
Dangers of shallow water

According to one industry expert, the Piti preserve area is a popular dive site among tourists and locals, and certified and non-certified divers because of the relatively shallow waters there.But the same shallow waters, he said, also pose great risks.
"In terms of lung over-expansion, the danger increases in waters up to 33 feet because the pressure on a person doubles up to that depth," said Jim Brandt, Micronesian Dive Association director of training.
"In that regard, it's more dangerous than waters just less than twice that depth because that's where the pressure on a person would again double."
This, Brandt said, is the trade-off with diving in deeper waters where the chance for decompression sickness increases.
"Diving in shallow waters, for the most part, rules out the risk of decompression sickness," Brandt said. "That's not to say that it isn't possible, it's just less likely."

hmmm, tourists losing fins because they are oversized rentals comes to my mind. rescue attempt?
Very sad.

Analyze that air. Autopsy those bodies.

Carbon Monoxide tank fills?

Possible murders?...or...incompetence.

Weird report.

Agreed....ignoring foul play, check the gas.

air in the tanks, fins missing off of one diver, all other equipment together, hmmmm bad gas????? DCI????? Waiting for more info. on this one.

Ok, here is what I have learned so far. Currently I am in Guam for work, and was here when this happened. Ironically, I dove the same site the next day. Here are the facts:
-2 divers died, Medexaminer ruled drowning
-1 was not certified, one was a Divermaster according to one story, and a Master diver in another.
-Both cylinders had air in them, both valves were open.
-Both divers had all thier gear, and weight belts on. With the exception of one diver who was missing his fins. The fins were later found in the vicentity.
-No foul play suspected.

Those are the facts as reported by the press. A person at the fire Department (who will remain anonamous since it is still under investigation) told me that it is suspected that both tanks had bad air in them which caused them to pass out and drown in shallow water. No one will release what shop rented the tanks to them. On the plus side, weather here is gorgous, and the diving so far is spectacular.

akdeepdiver:
Here are the facts:........

Those are the facts as reported by the press.

C'mon dude, just because you hear it from the "press" it's fact?
Please, spare me the facts.

My condolences to the families

Here's a fact for you....this can happen to any of us, be careful out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom