Dive Master training in NZ -- does this sound legit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Dressel divers in the Riviera Maya and was throughly impressed by their operation. I was also very impressed by the amount of classroom time they took with those getting their OW certification-the class appeared to have more classroom time than I had in my locale. If one were to interpolate, this may carry through to their DM training (I am in the final stretches of my Dive Con training in my locale). But then again, we ventured over to Cozmel, and it was a completely different situation with Dressel. The operation was a massive cattle call, and IMHO, I can't see how it would have been positive for a DM candidate. But just my 2 cents.

My post is not to call focus on these two different operations of the same company separated by 35 miles, rather, I imagine the only way to get to the bottom line is to throughly investigate where you are headed and then compare it to other operations.

Terry

herman,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to talk with the dive shop about IDC and IE certification. Although I will benefit from being a DM and will pursue that regardless, for eventual pay I will need these qualifications.

I like the "get your feet wet" opportunity that the program I mentioned above offers. It sounds like I could get similar experience by passing my DM training and then hopping on board as an intern equivalent, working for free, DM for a shop and helping them. Perhaps by passing the DM course and then pursuing an un-paid DM gig I would be able to alleviate some of the costs of the "internship".

Todd

Todd, I presume you are an NZ permanent resident or citizen; and thus have open access to the social welfare system.

By "working for free" and then "pursuing an un-paid DM gig", does that translate into becoming a WINZ recipient for the duration? If so, I have interest also.

BTW, did you check with studylink as to any loan you can get for DM/IDC tuition?

thank you

Internships are a good way to get working knowledge of the industry. While it may seem expensive... well... it doesn't get any cheaper from here! PADI fees, equipment, insurance, travel costs if you decide to move overseas etc. Don't look at it as $2000 and then working for free for 3 months- it's more like $2000 to become one of the team, with instructors teaching you stuff everyday for 3 months.

The equivalent of $2,000 US to do a DM internship is ridiculous. My club in the UK charges £500 (excluding materials), which according to a quick Google search is $765 US. That includes a number of classroom, pool and open water sessions, generally running over the course of a couple of months. The trainees will help out on courses but there is no full time commitment required.

It seems absurd that a dive shop can charge nearly three times as much and people will work unpaid, full time, for three months. Fortunately, for the dive shops, there seems to be no end of people prepared to be exploited in the belief the dive shop are doing them a favour.

Dave you forgot to ask what's included. 2000 kiwis are 1160£. Your stated course price at 500£ + 500£ for manuals is not far off. Maybe the op in NZ is including equipment rental. Imagine how much that costs for 4 months. How about food? If that is included too, then Todd's deal is actually much better than your shop's. When attempting to compare prices, it's best to check what's included and what's not!
In my village, we have a dive shop that sells an Advanced course for 130$... That does not include the dives! Deception, deception...

As for the 3 months free labour internship:
I think it should be either pay the hefty price or do the free labour.
I've offered free tuition, free accommodation and free lunches against 3 months of work experience once qualified in the past. Asking for people with 100 dives, own equipment, rescue and up, ability to speak french and english and experience traveling in Asia.
Some of the responses I got were along the lines of "you are looking for a slave". I fail to understand this reasoning. The value of what I offer is 1000$ (tuition), 800$ (accommodation), 500$ (food and beverages), etc. The packaged offered by the dive centre is worth more than 2500$! Each month on "free labour" the candidate is given more than 800$ worth. Believe it or not but this is more than I earn as a full time, experienced instructor who speaks 5 languages fluently... Local instructors and divemasters earn less! When some talk about slavery, who wants a free ride? The dive centre or the candidate?

If no "work experience" is offered, 1000$ for tuition is the minimum I'm now willing to accept. At 100+ hours of tuition, and with max 30% going to the instructor, that gives the instructor a whopping 3$/2£ an hour... Is that really too much?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom