Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there's anything that we can possibly do for her family and friends, please let us know. I'm so very sorry this happened.

I received a PM yesterday midday from someone close to the incident that basically disclosed everything that was in the second news article prior to it being released.

The few differences are:

The student was NOT using rental gear, she was diving her own ScubaPro gear.

The victim died from a previously undetected medical condition that was not diving related. IOW's this was NOT a diving accident however being on a boat 5 miles from shore certainly may have contributed to the tragic death.

They were diving on French reef. I seriously doubt there were anything like 6 foot seas on that site that day as DiveOps generally will not take divers out in those conditions, especially new divers.

There were two doctors onboard the boat, and they must have done a heck of a job keeping the woman alive for the 35~45 minute ride to shore. Upon arrival on shore the victim's heart was started using a defibrillator. At that point she had likely been without oxygen to the brain for some time, but this just speculation based on the facts, and my knowledge of CPR.

The employee that was arrested was arrested for tampering with evidence, but it would appear that the police may have been a bit over zealous, and there does not seem to be anything that Horizon would have been attempting to cover up, or could have done to prevent the incident. The police comment is speculation on my behalf, but during a terrible incident like this, I would suggest that it's difficult to say how some people may react, and I believe there was no malice on the part of the Instructor that was arrested.

I generally applaud SB members for restraint, good taste, and keeping things real. Unfortunately in this thread there has been some WAY over the top speculation, generalizations, and a serious lack of respect for what was a terrible and tragic accident.

The victims family made the decision to have her organs donated while she was still clinically alive. That is a HUGE statement for they type of people they are, and my personal belief is this tragic death will be less meaningless because it may offer life to others. My thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends during this rough time.

RonFrank:
The student was NOT using rental gear, she was diving her own ScubaPro gear.

In I think post #142, Dive Diva Ashely stated that the gear was rental gear that belonged to the shop.

I'm not disputing either, but it appears to be a difference of opinion.

However, That post has been edited and does not claim that anymore. iInteresting though.....

First of all my condolances to the family, and my thoughts to all involved.

This thread has become quite heated at times over the past week. This has not always been constructive, but it shows that we all care about our chosen sport, this is a good thing. This thread has also spurred some discussion on post accident gear handeling, here again this is good.

safe dives to all.
TrtlDvr

Remember,When the water is murky it is best to proceed slowly.

mike_s:
In I think post #142, Dive Diva Ashely stated that the gear was rental gear that belonged to the shop.

I'm not disputing either, but it appears to be a difference of opinion.

However, That post has been edited and does not claim that anymore. iInteresting though.....

Her claim was solely based on the "fact" that HD doesn't wash personal (i.e. non-rental) gear; that's up to the customer. That's pretty meaningless in this situation.

You all, don't read between the lines! Facts only please. Cause of death - undetermined at this point.
Mistakes, reliability of dive operator unkown.

No decisions or personal opinions please.

It is amazing how we keep getting off track with the whole objective of this tragedy. To many finger pointing rumors and conjecture. We as divers should be learning from this accident and be aware of things that may be taken for granted. It is common practice for Northern dive shops to teach in the classroom, pool and possible quarry then to go to the southern region to do the open water dives. Her husband was a certified diving teacher instructing her after her classroom sessions were complete. There were no mishandling of renting equipment for an uncertified diver when she indeed was in the process of completing her open water dives with her instructor who just happened to be her husband. So lets get off the bandwagon that the dive shop illegally rented equipment!!!!! Horizon Divers is an upstanding and extremely professional dive shop. My husband and I use Horizon exclusively when in Key Largo and will continue to use them. It upsets us to see the Horizon Dive instructor who is in question "------" being crucified for handling her equipment as if he were a criminal. He was not even involved during the dive as he was with my husband and myself. Some of the posts are implying he was directly related to the accident. ------ is an upstanding individual and the entire shop is full of caring dive professionals.

As an added cudos... During that afternoon while my husband was diving and I was over the rail chumming, Our Dive master (for Horizon ) assisted 2 other divers from another dive shop, who got caught in the current. He reacted immediately without hesitation or question and retrieved both of them. We trust this group. I say this because, again, accidents happen. Slamming with finger-pointing is not the reason we use this board. It is to learn how to prevent it from happening again. My heart goes out to the family and I hope he does not read this section of the board as he has gone through enough. sorry I m on a tyrade.

Quote "He said (the victim) was under the instruction of her husband, XXXX, a certified diver and React Right first-aid provider."

I know not to believe everything that you read in the papers, but it did not state that he was an instructor where I read. There MAY have been other articles stating he was an instructor, but I stand by my earlier rant, if he wasn't an instructor, she should not have been under HIS supervision. Dive schools have structure so that these kinds of situations are avoided. The over 21 arguement is nullified in that if I am over 21 I should be able to rent a tank, whether I am licensed or not, so long as I sign a waiver. No, I don't like any of how this looks. Sure I am cynical, but this is bad, very bad.

fabasard:
Quote "He said (the victim) was under the instruction of her husband, XXXX, a certified diver and React Right first-aid provider."

I know not to believe everything that you read in the papers, but it did not state that he was an instructor where I read. There MAY have been other articles stating he was an instructor, but I stand by my earlier rant, if he wasn't an instructor, she should not have been under HIS supervision. Dive schools have structure so that these kinds of situations are avoided. The over 21 arguement is nullified in that if I am over 21 I should be able to rent a tank, whether I am licensed or not, so long as I sign a waiver. No, I don't like any of how this looks. Sure I am cynical, but this is bad, very bad.

I don't think you quit understand what a recreational dive certification really is. There is no such thing as a license in recreational diving in this country. A certification is not a license. No license is required to possess dive equipment or buy compressed gas.
Heck I've even known at least two dive shop owners who weren't certified divers. Now, how do you propose we prevent a non-certified dive shop owner from getting their hands on a tank of air?

I don't think you quit understand what a recreational dive certification really is. There is no such thing as a license in recreational diving in this country. A certification is not a license. No license is required to possess dive equipment or buy compressed gas.
Heck I've even known at least two dive shop owners who weren't certified divers. Now, how do you propose we prevent a non-certified dive shop owner from getting their hands on a tank of air?
I do understand what a recreational dive certification is, and every dive master or instructor I have spoken with (around 10 or so, from different agencies and areas) have stated that if you don't have a C card (at LEAST OW) you may not rent tanks. That being said, they may have meant from THEIR store, but that was always what I was told. Now, as to the shop owner, I would expect that if your going to run a DIVE shop you should know how to dive, otherwise how could you dispense usable knowledge to those inquiring at your store? I have never been in a dive shop where the owner and his employees were not at least OW certified. For those NOT certified, I say the agency that they are trying to ally with does not grant them status with the agency until THEY are certified. I have even gone to Mexico (and they have pretty lax standards from time to time) and was not permitted to dive without the DM being over my shoulder (resort course) for the duration of the dive. It's a liability issue, if you don't want to keep going to court, you don't rent to those who don't know what their doing, its fool-hardy.

Say you own said store, and I walk into your store. I want to rent a tank, compressed of course for me and the wife, we want to try this diving thing. You rent me the tanks and off we go. My wife dies during the dive because neither of us is certified and has no clue as to what we are doing, rest assured I am going to sue your company. How could you possibly defend yourself in court? You wouldn't be in business long.

Now, sorry about barking, you just rubbed my fur the wrong way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom