Dive Op - Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, he is only promoting safety.

And the deal he has with his patent on safety sausages that he gets 1 cent royalty for every one sold.

But I have to admit, I rarely see divers with much safety equipment on them no matter where I dive. I see a snausage every once in a while, more commonly a whistle and that's about it.

I stated I would be comfortable enough to do it WITH a sausage from the DM.

I would suggest you go for a little self reliance. Over at LP or any number of other online dive shops, you can get yourself a decent SMB and a finger spool for under 40 bucks.

With that, you would not have to rely on the DM for an extra SMB so you can safely make an ascent.

I would suggest you go for a little self reliance. Over at LP or any number of other online dive shops, you can get yourself a decent SMB and a finger spool for under 40 bucks.

With that, you would not have to rely on the DM for an extra SMB so you can safely make an ascent.

Everyone should carry an SMB, I think. Many people do, I believe. On the other hand, if your DM shoots a tube, you should use it. Shooting a strange SMB can confuse the boat captain. If you insist on using your own, make sure the DM and Captain are all in on the plan ahead of time.

And if you do that, you need to train with it, not just take it with you and plan on deploying it at depth for the first time when you really need it.

On the surface, it's just a safety sausage, really can't get into trouble. While you shouldn't be surfacing in traffic without an SMB, you also shouldn't be deploying an SMB if you don't know what you are doing. It's not hard to get tangled in the line and get pulled up in an uncontrolled ascent...

Deploying the safety sausage from 15-20' should be adequate.

Shooting an SMB from below certainly should be practiced before going to sea, with a good bud - and only one at a time. We failed to communicate our plans well the first time and when my bud saw me shoot mine, he shot his too - then got tangled in the line as he floated up. I had to control mine as I unwrapped him. Fortunately we started at 70 feet. Otherwise, just carry a sausage so you can be easier to find/dodge on the surface.

A local couple told me about getting swept away from their boat dive on a Caribbean trip once, floating away from the island for an hour before they were found. I asked if they had sausages? "Those were in our dive bags on the boat!" :eek:

I prefer ascending close to the DM's, or anyone else's, rather than shooting mine. I'd rather watch for sealife on the SS and not bother with shooting and then stowing.

You are saying that all the dive ops who start at the Caleta will motor north to pick up people at Cozumel Palace? I am skeptical.

You're right. Not all the ops will pick up there. We picked our op, then picked our hotel based on where she would pick up. The list was limited.

I'm actually looking at safety sausages today- what length do people recommend? Is it better to spend the extra money to get a 6' ? I won't be able to deploy mine from depth (nowhere to practice, so I won't bother getting a spool) but want it just in case I need it on the surface.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking at safety sausages today- what length do people recommend? Is it better to spend the extra money to get a 6' ? I won't be able to deploy mine from depth (nowhere to practice, so I won't bother getting a spool) but want it just in case I need it on the surface.

Yikes. I bought the NICE DAN giant 6 footers with a lightstick and all that crap. Nice, but just too big. Wont fit in a pocket and its like dragging an oil drum along with you. So then I bought something like this:

SMB at leisure pro

That is all the missus carries. Just a tube to wave at the surface if needed, which she never has to date. And she fits it in a pocket.

I bought a finger spool for mine:

Finger spool at Leisure pro

I of course failed to ever practice with it and when I first shot it, it was like a three stooges movie, string was everywhere. I thought I might be dragged to the surface in a string cocoon before I got it squared away. I tried not to put too much air in it, but alas, I put in too little and ended up with a semi-limp sausage. :(

I do not have problems surfacing on my own, I do not have a safety sausage but would assume the DM can deploy theirs for me and I swim above them. I will check out some of these options. Thanks

---------- Post added November 5th, 2013 at 07:59 PM ----------

I am not a "new" diver nor am I new to cozumel so this doens't really pertain too much to me but appreciate the thought

2 statements here give me a cause for concern. Assuming that anybody will do anything for you underwater is a bad assumption, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety. It is mostly a standard operating procedure in Cozumel for this to happen, but there are other factors that can come into play. The current at the surface can some times be a lot stronger than at depth where the rest of the group is. In my opinion SMB should be standard gear for open ocean diving.
As far as not being a new diver, your profile says 25-49 dives, by most people classification you are a new diver. I have over 140 dives and I consider myself to still be a newer diver. That all being said, make sure to email a few of the shops named and tell them of your skills and expectations and I am sure you will have a great trip.

Yikes. I bought the NICE DAN giant 6 footers with a lightstick and all that crap. Nice, but just too big. Wont fit in a pocket and its like dragging an oil drum along with you. So then I bought something like this:

Yeah- the DAN one looks really nice but a lot is more than I want to spend.
I was looking at this one but it sounds like maybe 6' is too bulky? The one you linked is cheaper, which I certainly appreciate, since this is something I hope will never have to leave my pocket (but I want in the pocket just in case; I also always dive with a whistle).

I'm not going to bother with a finger spool, because I know I won't be able to deploy it underwater anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom