Dive Ops Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbadgley

New
Reaction score
Hello, I will be in Playa for the month of February(stop crying), and I need recomendations. I'm experienced but haven't doven since last year in Belize(Glovers reef). Hopefully, the boats will be limited to 6 or 8. But an operation that could give me the opportunity to get out to the more advanced dives after shaking the rust out would be great.

Any come to mind?

Gary

Gary,

Since you asked, I shall unabashedly engage in cheerleading... :cheerleader::cheerleader: We love Scuba with Alison Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison She has a converted sport fishing boat and never takes more than 8.
coz_092010_047.jpg

That pair of 200s will get you to the reef on time! And yes I am the handsome guy in the safety orange. She is known to adjust schedules to fit cruisers or divers coming in on the ferry. She and her capitan are great fun, but alway have their eye on safety. There are a ton of great ops, but she is our girl!

Having only been once (so far) I don't particularly have a basis for comparison, but I was very happy with SCUBA Tony. I think his site is scubatony.com, but a search for "SCUBA Tony Cozumel" should turn him up.

Yes, I will do my first dives in Playa and then head over. I have no plans on how many dives off Cozumel.

Yes, I will do my first dives in Playa and then head over. I have no plans on how many dives off Cozumel.

So you'd be commuting on a daily basis? Or will you come over here for several days? Before it's possible to venture any recommendations, it's important to establish these things. And then some info about personal expectations would be helpful. What you want, what you are prepared to pay, etc. etc. Otherwise you're just getting a laundry list of individuals' favourite dive op.

Last edited:
I just finished 8 dives with scuba Mau and was very happy with them. I had my two sons (18 & 20) with me doing their first open water real dives too.

I really liked the DMs and never had more then 6 total on the dive. They also had the most reasonable prices I could find. Between the three of us we had a combined 24 dives and was very happy with the price I paid.

pretty hard to go wrong over there......................do a search on the topic, you will find more info than you can digest

there are many great dive ops. may be a shorter list to ask who NOT to dive with.
I used Aldora last week ( my 8th trip to Coz and 4 time to use them) . My wife and I are headed back May 8th through 24th and I'll use them then also.
They use steel 120's which pretty much assures over 1 hour BT. do 2 hour SI on the beach, usually at Mr. Sanchoz. When harbor shut down Dec 26 due to high winds, we went to Cenotes on mainland for our dives that day the other dives went to Windward side to dive. All 20 divers scheduled to dive that day did.

I would echo what MMM says above regarding more information. I would also verbosely suggest the following:

1. If you've never done Cozumel, don't bother with getting to the "advanced sites". There are only a few of them, and though very nice dives for differing reasons, they aren't the hallmark of Cozumel diving. Make sure you get to Palancar anything, (4 different sites) which you undoubtedly will, unless you're there for only one day and you happen to do Santa Rosa Wall as the first dive, or maybe Paso de Cedral Wall. (ya, I know there are other possibilities, but...)

2. If you've been to Cozumel, and done some diving there, of course, and are trying to fill a bucket list or whatever, then I'd do the following: Contact any of the many dive shops that get mentioned here, and tell them exactly what you're after, and honestly answer their questions about skill level, etc. Any shop, any *good* shop, and there are many of them, will want to dive with you for a couple days or so until they take you to the few advanced sites that are dived.

The part about contacting the shop, and telling them what you're after, and giving them honest answers will get you what you're after, assuming your requests or expectations aren't outlandish.

It's really hard though, to make a great, pinpoint recommendation on a dive shop with very little info. We
know that you're going to be in Playa for a month, have some (?) experience and are looking for small boats.
There are a zillion shops in Cozumel that have small boats, and go to the advanced sites. I suspect you've never been to Cozumel before due to the nature of your question, in which case, I'd do Number 1 above and
contact any of the many shops that will get mentioned in this thread, and in others. You'll have a great time!
The diving is famous for a reason.

Here's my cheerleading... The great bulk of my 175 tanks in Cozumel have been with Deep Blue. They fit your bill, as many others will. I know they do the advanced sites, because I've been to them lots of times. They didn't, btw, take me to those sites when I was a new diver. I chose them, almost 6 years ago, because their advertising mentioned sites that they visit which none of the other dive shops mentioned. Not my only, and probably not the best criteria to chose a dive op, but it worked for me. I've had what I believe to be a bunch of really excellent training from them, even long after I completed any courses I've taken.

I've also been diving with Blue Magic and ScubaShack/Roberta's Eco Dive/can't remember. Great shops, Great service, Safe, go to advanced sites, small boats, great DM's and captains. If I didn't dive with Deep Blue, I'd happily dive with them again. Depending on other details of your trip, and that's my point, I might recommend one over the other.

Just to give you an idea, I've only dived with the first 3 shops, but I'd be delighted to dive with any of the following shops if the circumstances permit, and I believe all of them have small boats and would go to the advanced sites. This is based on reading reviews here, and having been to Cozumel 11 or so times. In no particular order... (OK, I do have a little Deep Blue bias.) :D

Deep Blue
Blue Magic
Scuba Shack
Blue XTC
Aqua Safari
Aldora
Living Underwater
Blue Angel
Dive with Martin
Scuba Mau
Dive with Allison
Blue Bubble

That's just off the top of my head, and does not mean to discount any others that get mentioned. There are
just sooooo many shops that fit your bill. Just make sure you contact them and let them know what you're
after.

Don't know what you're doing in Playa, but if you're into diving and have the time, I'd plan on going to Coz for 5 days. You could get a "5 day - 2 tank/day" package. It gives the shop time to assess your skill for advanced sites. You get a good look at Cozumel diving. Even if you never get to Devil's Throat, Maracaibo, Barracuda, San Jaun, Cantarel (?), or whatever the few advanced sites are, you won't miss them if it's your first trip. Really, I don't think many people would feel like the missed out if they didn't get to those places after their 2nd or 3rd trip. I could dive Palancar Gardens, for instance, for 10 straight dives and have the time of my life.

I think I'd stay downtown. Great food there, no beaches. Maybe Casa Mexicana, on the spendier side. If I wanted to save money, I'd stay at the meager but just fine Hotel Pepita a few blocks off the water. Never been there, but heard good things, and I think it's about $40/night. I've stayed at Casa Mexicana, and it's probably $80-$100/night, right on the water. If you ask for recommendations about a place to stay, you'll really want to get specific about what you want. When I go to Cozumel, I stay at Casa del Mar. I get good a good deal there with airfare, and it's a fit for me, and the people I usually travel with.

It's really hard to have a bad time doing a dive trip to Cozumel. Great diving and dive industry. Great Food. Nice, clean accommodations. Really nice people! It's a great trip. You'll have a blast!!

-Blair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom