Dive Op’s Limiting bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My late partner and I always tried to ensure we would get a minimum of 60 minutes (gas permitting).
We refused to book with a number of operators who wouldn't agree with this.

Generally my partner would prefer to avoid more than 10 minutes of decompression penalty. But even she would run more if the dive was of interest.
When diving on reefs / wrecks. We would often move up and on to the reef and run down the decompression penalty on the reef. We often would run down the decompression penalty, then do another 10 minutes in the shallows. Quite comfortable when you are carrying a camera (and you have the gas).

We had the amusing issue in the Red Sea of having to rescue the guide, he thought he could match our air consumption rates. We where at 100bar and he was at 30bar. In fairness, most of the guides do better on gas than me.

It very much depends on the operator, and your ability. We had an excellent night dive on the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. It included penetration, and about 5 minutes of deco. Which we run as 10 minutes for a safety buffer.
Under normal circumstances a night dive is not usual on the Thistlegorm, penetration at night even less so.
This was down to the guide being comfortable with our little group.

If I am paying to go diving, I expect to be able to dive. I have no interest in getting hurt, or being macho about it. But, if the dive is within my capability, and most importantly, my buddies capability, then I expect to be able to do it unless there is a very good reason why we shouldn't.
I have sat out dives, scrubbed the days diving, when conditions have not been suitable. I have got in, and then immediately got out because the conditions on the dive where not sensible, despite what the skipper had said.

I have done dives with limited bottom time, but there was a sensible reason for a limited bottom time.
I pay a skipper for his expert knowledge, so I always listen carefully to the briefing and the skippers advice.

Gareth

I have heard this spouted upon occasion but have never really seen it enforced. Usually it has been on a boat where we were doing morning dives and then they were planning on running another boat in the afternoon.

If the morning boat leaves @ 0700 (which it hardly ever does)
45 minutes to an hour to first dive site
1st dive one hour
1 hour surface interval
2nd dive one hour
45 minute to hour ride back.

This puts the boat back at 1200 for a 1300 departure on the afternoon group, and the above doesn't include the time to set shot lines or a dive briefing and assumes you left on time. I can understand where timing gets tight. We don't make any stink about it when we hear it, we just go about our dive and try to be aware that they probably mean well but are just putting pressure on the wrong place to help keep their schedule.

Last edited:
I have dived with a number of operators who limit dive time. They do have to keep a schedule. I am usually accepting of it when the limit seems reasonable to me. I have not been accepting of it when I felt the schedule was unreasonably short, as I encountered when I did one dive with an operator run by Red Sail Sports in Grand Cayman. It was ridiculous. I had signed up for a week of diving, but I canceled after that dive and went with a nearby operator who was still one of the best I have ever worked with. I learned my lesson from that, and usually do a pretty good job of scouting out operators ahead of time to make sure their policies are OK with me.

Here is a story that might be illuminating.

I was diving in Key Largo, and it was the second dive of the afternoon trip. The reef was shallow. The operator told us to be back in 50 minutes. At 50 minutes, people were clambering onto the boat, breaking down their gear, and packing their bags. The captain called the roll, and we learned that 2 people were missing. Before long, all bags were packed, and all eyes were scanning the water in all directions in search of bubbles. All the other dive boats in the area finished their trips and headed back for home. A general sense of fear gradually rose among all the passengers.

Suddenly someone spotted bubbles in the distance. The DM pulled on fins and a mask and swam furiously out to them. Before long the missing couple were back on the boat. Yes, they had understood the 50 minute directions, but they only cared about finishing off the air in their tanks. They casually went about the business of breaking down their gear, seemingly oblivious to the angry stares of everyone else on the boat. The boat did not get back to dock until after dark.

I have dived with a number of operators who limit dive time. They do have to keep a schedule. I am usually accepting of it when the limit seems reasonable to me. I have not been accepting of it when I felt the schedule was unreasonably short, as I encountered when I did one dive with an operator run by Red Sail Sports in Grand Cayman. It was ridiculous. I had signed up for a week of diving, but I canceled after that dive and went with a nearby operator who was still one of the best I have ever worked with. I learned my lesson from that, and usually do a pretty good job of scouting out operators ahead of time to make sure their policies are OK with me.

Here is a story that might be illuminating.

I was diving in Key Largo, and it was the second dive of the afternoon trip. The reef was shallow. The operator told us to be back in 50 minutes. At 50 minutes, people were clambering onto the boat, breaking down their gear, and packing their bags. The captain called the roll, and we learned that 2 people were missing. Before long, all bags were packed, and all eyes were scanning the water in all directions in search of bubbles. All the other dive boats in the area finished their trips and headed back for home. A general sense of fear gradually rose among all the passengers.

Suddenly someone spotted bubbles in the distance. The DM pulled on fins and a mask and swam furiously out to them. Before long the missing couple were back on the boat. Yes, they had understood the 50 minute directions, but they only cared about finishing off the air in their tanks. They casually went about the business of breaking down their gear, seemingly oblivious to the angry stares of everyone else on the boat. The boat did not get back to dock until after dark.
Seems like they acted out my 90 minute dive fantasy? And caused a large amount of concern that eventually led to a bunch of pissed off people.

As someone who does long shallow dives I make it a habit to initially confirm with the dive op and then with the boat dive staff before I splash on their time limits. I do try to squeeze them a bit. I make sure I am back to the boat on time but generally will hang about looking at the fish as others board. As the week goes on I try to be the first in the water.

A bunch of reasons:
1. They're on a schedule and have multiple trips every day.
2. Logistics are easier when everyone is coming aboard around the same time (tank fills, food, coordinating next dive, etc).
3. Less risk of the bends if they know dives are at a given depth and they only allow a certain amount of time per dive.
4. Employees are hourly workers and the company doesn't want to pay OT, or the employees just want to go home. Also, most boats leave the engine on which costs money.
5. The average diver using an AL80 or who breathes faster has less sitting around time. Appeal to the masses. You're probably just on a boat whose target market is just the average diver.

These just popped to mind, but there's plenty of reasons to give everyone a time limit.

This is where owning a boat or shore diving has its perks.

I think SB members, and other highly experienced divers, often forget they are likely the "odd divers" on most dive boats whose main client appears to be the once-a-year vacation diver. From what I see, 45-50 minutes is about the most time occasional and inexperienced divers can squeeze out of an AL80 anyway, and the dive ops are anxious to get those divers back to the dock so they can press on with other vacation activities, and the crew can turn the boat and maybe get a little down time before launching the afternoon crowd. I have often come up with more air and less dive time than I prefer (and I am not one of the enviable "air sippers"), but I also realize I am just one person on the dive boat, and that extra 12-15 minutes under water is not that big of a deal if the rest of the dive has been worthwhile. An excellent dive may not be an excellent+ dive if you come up with excess air, but it is still an excellent dive. If I climb on the boat thinking "I really enjoyed that dive", I am a happy man. As others have said, if that 15+ minutes of extra diving is that critical, your only choice is to find those dive ops that meet all of your requirements. But I also have little patience for narcissistic divers that intentionally disregard the back on board time just so they can satisfy their sense of self-importance because that puts tremendous unnecessary strain and stress on the crew and other divers. I have watched unfortunate DMs and Captains in the high stress decision mode concerning initiating a SAR, only to have the jerks pop up with a "What?" look on their faces.

A great dive operator makes the dive without doubt.
When I dive in Florida, the crew know that most of their guests are experience, many with HP100 tanks or doubles and they plan accordingly, usually allowing each drift dive an hour max.

Just got back from my annual Beaches @ Turks and Caicos where dives are usually 45 mins with AL80s and most of the time I would come back up with half the tank still available! (So I'd often screw around on the bottom or at the safety stop while waiting for the hordes to get back on the boat.

It's the nature of the beast. Smaller operators usually appreciate your business more and I once had a boat whose skipper called an audible andmade a 2 tank day into a three tank day and still made sure I got back to the dock in time for a cocktail party I had to attend later that day.

Dive operators have to make compromises to try to make most of their guests happy most of the time. Sometimes the dives that are done depend on the makeup of the group; are they spearos, lobster hunters, photographers, newbies, etc. Are some on air and some on Nitrox?

My favorite dives on recreational trips have been the last dive. 67 minutes...75 minutes...it's not like they are going to not let me dive again :D

My favorite dives on recreational trips have been the last dive. 67 minutes...75 minutes...it's not like they are going to not let me dive again :D
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that during a dive trip with an operation that limits bottom time so that they can keep to a schedule, you follow their rules for the week and then do whatever you want on the last dive because you know they have nothing they can hold over you anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom