Dive ops who spend their surface interval at a beach club.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the day, we would spend time in Columbia Lagoon.We would swim up into the lagoon looking for caimans. We would spend our SI watching the tide, the birds and the sea.

Gato,our captain, was a product of nature. He had a special sense. He was truely one w/nature. He will always be in my heart. He taught me the real meaning of Isla de Golindrinas.

It reminded me of visiting Cozutmel back in '69.

Curious. These operations using 120 Steels where you may exceed NDLs. What provisions are there for deco? Is there a hang station with extra air, or are you expected to manage your gas? If on your own, and on rental tanks, is it one source octo or is there redundant air if you are getting into actual deco time? Not being critical, really want to know. I got into deco on non-redundant rigged AL80 recently on a trip. Not proud of it, but comfortable with my gas consumption and abilities. However, I do know I should not have done it. (Twice)
I don't know of any dive ops that utilize hang tanks, so I'm pretty sure you're on your own if you get into deco.

That said, if you're not completely comfortable getting into deco and getting out of deco on the same dive, you have no business getting near NDC limits. It's not like you can change your mind after the fact.

If you're curious, take a beginning tech diving class. But if you don't feel like you're ready for the glass ceiling, simply don't go there.

I far prefer the quiet undeveloped beach areas to the crowded, bad-music-blaring-jetski-renting beach clubs. To each his own.
Why is it that these places play the same music that inundates us constantly here in the States? To make us GOV's (Gringos On Vacation) feel more at home? If I wanted to feel at home, I'd have stayed there.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 09:25 AM ----------

Back in the day, we would spend time in Columbia Lagoon.We would swim up into the lagoon looking for caimans. We would spend our SI watching the tide, the birds and the sea.
Back in the day, for a lunch break on fishing trips the captain (RIP, Beto Nunez) would nose the boat ashore somewhere near Palancar, and the deck hand would snorkel for conch and lobster. There were grills on shore where they would cook a fish or two we had caught in the morning along with the lobster and make ceviche from the conch.

I am on Ron's side when it comes to surface intervals. When my husband and I went diving in Cabo Pulmo(Baja), the ride out to the reefs were only 15 minutes. I was hoping for a surface interval when the captain decided to cut the engine and we sat on a rocking, pitching boat for what seemed like an eternity. Seasickness is a major issue for me. I like to get out of the boat, walk around, use the toilet, eat pico, guacamole and chips, and change into a dry swim suit. The SI gives me a chance to warm up and re-energize. An added benefit is the ability to not be held in captive company in the rare event that you have an obnoxious diver on the boat. Add Scuba Tony to the list of dive ops which have their surface intervals on land.

(snip)

Groovy.

To each their own. I like to pee off the back of a 6 pack while having to watch over my shoulder to be sure my buddies don't push me in.

I cannot edit my first post now. I am logged in.

I don't think the issue of this thread is whether or not the SI is on land, I think it's where on land. It's very unusual IME that the interval is on the boat, at least with the small boats.

So the question is, do you prefer a beach club with its 'amenities' or an undeveloped stretch of beach, like at the pier few hundred yards south of one of the beach clubs? For me the latter is far preferable.

halocline, my opinion is that a beach SI is not the norm on Cozumel. Otherwise there would be beaucoup boats at the various beaches and I do not see that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom