Dive ops who spend their surface interval at a beach club.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, of late we've been spending SI's after southern dives (Maracaibo, Garganta, etc.) at a deserted beach in the vicinity of El Cielo. No club. No facilities. No structures. No people.

There are starfish and conch, though. And coconuts to chop open for agua de coco and coconut meat.

It's perfect.

For my prefs, it's just fine with me if the SIT is a stop at the conch tree pier or a deserted beach, or a leisurely boat ride to the next site, even if that means sitting still for a while looking at that beautiful water and chatting with the other divers. I may even take a nap. I'd just as soon not go to a beach club where they are playing loud gringo music (I really wish they wouldn't do that - if I wanted to "feel at home" I'd have stayed there) and pressuring me to buy something. DSFDF and YMMV.

IMG_3231.jpgNice place for a rest (SI)

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 164
I have never been a fan of doing the SI on the boat; anyplace on shore is better than just sitting aboard for an hour and a half. I always look forward to the traditional stop at Mr Sanchos, but not because I want a bathroom, or food, or a shady palapa, etc. I love to take leisurely strolls south down the beach about a quarter of a mile or so, then have a nice relaxing drift/swim or snorkel all the way back up to the club area in the sunshine and beautiful warm crystal clear waters. Since there aren't any decent beaches where I usually stay in town, these are my times to get away and really enjoy the beach experience...

I'm getting a little misty just thinking about it...

I agree Carlos. The beach SI is usually my only real beach time.

We stopped at, I think, Playa Mia or Mr. Sancho in May, I really have no idea. It was on a day when there were no cruise ships, (probably Sunday), and the place was closed.

Very nice facilities, but I think it's the only time I have ever personally stopped at a day beach for an SI. The only other day beach I've ever been to for any reason is Buccano's for breakfast & dinner.

Most SI's I've done are either at Palancar pier (just pee in the woods!) or motoring to the next site (pee off the back of the boat, or have the captain stop and 'take a swim').

Many moons ago, I think when we were still going out with Dive with Martin, we would stop at Reef Club. I remember being a little surprised to see people drinking beer on their SI's.

Back
Top Bottom