Dive Ops with "Giant Stride" entry boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've decided to go with We b Divin. Should hear back from Judy today to get everything finalized. One more thing off the list!

A note about giant stride entry: Don't forget about the stride part. I have seen divers who jumped in with their feet pointed the same way keel over backwards when they hit the water.

A note about giant stride entry: Don't forget about the stride part. I have seen divers who jumped in with their feet pointed the same way keel over backwards when they hit the water.
Yikes! I've never seen that but it sounds like it could be dangerous.

For what it's worth, I've done both back roll and giant stride boats. I also prefer "giant stride boats" by a wide margin. As others have noted, the bigger boats are *usually* a bit more comfortable. Some of the operators in the Florida Keys really pack people onto the big boats and that ruins much of the experience. I've not had that problem in two trips to Cozumel.

We've decided to go with We b Divin. Should hear back from Judy today to get everything finalized. One more thing off the list!

Say Hi to Otto, Yasser, and Moises (Mate, DM, Capt.),
I have been on a couple of trips with them, highly qualified.

I’ve hurt myself on both giant stride and backroll.

On a giant stride, the force of the water split my legs (ouch!) and I walked like I had something stuck up my rear for a whole week. So now I jump and close my legs before I land in the water. Interestingly, this was how most people did it on a recent liveaboard trip I went on.

On a backroll, I rolled in and bumped my head under the boat. No serious damage but it could’ve been bad. Didn’t know how that happened but I now surface slowly after rolling in and kick backwards to steer clear of the boat before surfacing fully.

Sounds like you picked an op, but for anyone searching in the future, Scuba with Alison is a small, fast boat operator with this option. 2 people giant stride off the back of the Maximus while the others roll.

I've bruised my calf too many times on bad rolls, and have also hit my head on a tank placed too high, so I also prefer a stride.

For the giant stride from the back of a boat, I had to step up on a lip and fumbled with my fins. There wasn't anything to grab with my hands,to steady myself, so I gave up trying to balance and dove in diagonally... more embarrassing than anything, since it was my first dive with the operator.

Back
Top Bottom