DIVE ORISKANY in JULY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul19may

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dates: July 16- 20 (Thurs- Mon) 2009
Location: Based out of AL, 2 hour trip to the Oriskany on a cracking 46'
swept-up dive vessel, a Newton dive special. This can be a rec AND a tec trip.

Concept: Deploy to Alabama on Thurs in vehicles, leaving a dive window of Fri- Sun to dive the O. Primary mission is to dive the massive, impressive Oriskany Wreck, a secondary (and optional item) is to conduct cavern certification or just go and gain experience of Florida dive sites whilst we are down here.

To do both the O and Cavern requires 3 days of diving over the window of
opportunity 16- 20 Jul, including travel. Example: Travel down Thurs, dive the
O on Fri (see dive details below) then relocate to Ocala area (Vortex Springs,
Jackson Blue) to conduct optional cavern certification (2 days, Sat + Sun) or
just go diving in FL's crystal clear waters. Return Monday. Or any combination
thereof between cavern/ diving and the O over the period.

PLUS of course there is the option to depart back home after diving the O, should you wish.

Dive details
Oriskany:
All Divers Diving the Oriskany must be Advanced Openwater certified, have dive
computers, and have 20 logged dives.

USS Oriskany 2x dives, no deco/130' Max Depth. Cost per Diver: $165
USS Oriskany Tec dives, 1x dive with a 3 hr runtime Per Diver: $199

Boat ride out is around two hours depending on conditions.
Boat departs at 8 am on Oriskany Trips

Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Diving, Oriskany Dive - Down Under Dive Shop

Accommodation in theatre is being explored.

Cavern:

All divers must be AOW certified, nitrox preferred (on site training and
certification is available) but not necessary. All unusual gear (7' hose, reel
etc, is provided and included in the cost- feel free to bring your own, however)
4x dives over 2 days covering NSS CDS cavern training outline.

Cavern Cost: $249 per diver, plus entry to Vortex ($19 per day), accommodation
(around $15 per night, we have some accommodation options available to us) and
any gas (around $5- $10 per tank).

Plus get some time to fun around on a night dive in these gin-clear waters
followed by bragging and general BS etc by the fire.

http://www.vortexspring.com/

'Just Diving' Option:
Cost is entry to Vortex, accommodation, gas etc as above.

Total cost of the whole shabang should be around $490 or so, plus travel which
will be shared.

Synopsis:

We will be travelling quite a distance to dive the O and the Gulf can be
unpredictable, so the intent is to dive a great wreck, maximise the time whilst
we are there, have a desirable and worthwhile contingency for poor weather plus
get some wider experience of some exceptional dive sites.

Max of 20 on this trip- and if we get near that then the cost comes down by
about $30- $50.

Taking INDICATIONS OF INTEREST now, email me to do so, general concept in place, devil is in the details. More details to follow.

Contact details paul19may(at) hotmail.com

For those who require such disclaimers: Past performance is no indication of future results, etc.

Best

P

Train Right
www.tecdiveinstructor.com

OR, just come down, dive the O amd go home- Lots of options here. Group buy of the places will secure a great deal. Best P

We have 7 divers thus far, almost ready to book the trip. Get on this if you can, ot promises to be a hoot.

Past performance of hoots is no guarantee of future hoot results.

this sounds like alot of fun but thats on my bday and my ole lady might kill me. Ill ask and get back. are youll leaving out of austin? if so, could you pick someone up in houston off I-10 somewhere?

brett

And what better way to celebrate YOUR day than diving a great wreck? Good luck getting that one past she who must be obeyed.
Collection en route should be no problem, I am sure. And if we get a few more Houston divers, that might be even easier to accomplish.

Thanks for the post Paul. I'll write this down on the calendar and see what I can do. Is there a deadline or did I miss that in the OP?

I should have been specific on that- thanks for raising it. No deadline yet, but there will be. HOWEVER- the earlier I can get firm names the better, I need a min of 10 and have 7 thus far, possibly 8 and a few who have tentatively said yes. Sooner the better, please.
Hope that vagueness helps.
Best

P

well im leaving florida to go home tomorrow and was unable to get on the might-o due to the terrible weather we had for most of the trip. yesterday and today look nice but the wind is up so the seas are around 2-4.

while i was here i got my adv. nitrox/deco proc cert and a cavern cert at vortex. that place is fun and if your instructor lets you, the gate is at 110' deep and there are lots of eels to see!

brett

well im leaving florida to go home tomorrow and was unable to get on the might-o due to the terrible weather we had for most of the trip. yesterday and today look nice but the wind is up so the seas are around 2-4.

while i was here i got my adv. nitrox/deco proc cert and a cavern cert at vortex. that place is fun and if your instructor lets you, the gate is at 110' deep and there are lots of eels to see!

brett

I know you're on the CHUM forums but in case you missed it, we have a trip planned over Memorial weekend that has two open slots as of today. Details here.

I would definitely like to dive with you all on this, at least for the O. I'm going to be down in the Keys for MDU and then ITK the week before, and I could "waste" an added week in the Keys and then meet up with everyone in AL. Not sure if I would still have enough gas in me to go back to Florida again, especially as I plan on diving Ginnie and a few others on my way out.

Is everything a go on this trip? Where do I sign up?

Thanks,
David

Back
Top Bottom