Dive Paradise/Park Royal report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tommyg:
Ive dove with dp over 70 times and had a good time and the dm were friendly guys and informative and I will continue to dive with them. that being said, I to did find them disorganized. I had to always double check,in the morning, to make sure I was on the same boat as friends. it was 50/50 if we were together. Why do 3 or 4 boats stop at barracuda pier and only pick up 3 or 4 divers(while there are 12 people waiting for big boats) and make 4 more different stops and do the same? A computer and printer would do wonders for their business.

Because scheduling the boats is not as straight forward and simple as so many like to believe.

All kinds of things play into it and things can and do change from day to day. For example, a diver claims to be superdiver with 200 dives and blah, blah, blah. Get them in the water and they blow through their air in 20 minutes or they can't control their buoyancy, etc. Now this person needs to be put on the newbie boat. One person literally makes a differences since each boat has a capacity. This is more challenging when all boats are running at full capacity and people have to be shuffled around.

I could list 100 other reasons why the boat schedules can change and how tricky the scheduling can be...but I need to get back to work :)

Christi:
Because scheduling the boats is not as straight forward and simple as so many like to believe.

All kinds of things play into it and things can and do change from day to day. For example, a diver claims to be superdiver with 200 dives and blah, blah, blah. Get them in the water and they blow through their air in 20 minutes or they can't control their buoyancy, etc. Now this person needs to be put on the newbie boat. One person literally makes a differences since each boat has a capacity. This is more challenging when all boats are running at full capacity and people have to be shuffled around.

Also, DP has it harder than most because they have more boats and a variety of trips. When a six-pack pulls up to the pier it may be a 2 tank trip or a 3 tank trip, an easy reef trip, a deeper advanced trip, a computer-only EDP trip, etc. Yeah, I can easily see several smaller boats pulling up and picking up 1 or 2 people each.

We really were wondering the same things, eery how you said exactly what I was thinking of posting. I'd add that the communication problems make me wonder if the OP realizes that the primary language in Mexico is Spanish. He gave no hint of knowing any Spanish himself. While many Mexicans in the tourist industry speak English, few are what I'd call "fluent" so if you have some complicated ado I can see some misunderstanding. Keep the issues simple and things will be fine.

Christi:
I would like to add, again no disprespect meant here...but 6 people for a week does not really warrant any price breaks. Virtually all of the dive shops (who are reputable and successful businesses) consider a "group" for discount purposes, 12 divers or more. Six divers is a great thing, but it's a normal thing around here. If I offered a price break everytime I had a group of six divers I would be out of business before I knew it.

I have 12 personalities: can I get a discount? LOL!!!!

Excellent point in the speaking Spanish part. I always get my point across better with my broken Spanish (and get everyone laughing as well). It goes a long way to not being seen as an "ugly American" when you at east make the attempt in the native language to the extent able (IMHO)...Just the sheer logistics of an operation with 10 boats going out every day is a feat of organization (no matter how diorganized it looks). Christi can certainly clue you in on that aspect, as even with 1, 2 or 3 boats things can get extremely dicey (since you're on the water too, anything can happen, and usually does)...it's not much unlike the "plate spinning" guy...the one-armed one...

I tell me new divers when they go on their first trips...take the cotton out of your ears, and stick it in your mouth...this advice works wonders to manage your own expectations as well. Even as an over 30-year diver and active dive instructor, I just go with the flow, "don't know nuthin' about nuthin'," don't say nuthin' about nuthin' and let the professionals and owners take care of all the issues while I stay to the side with my mouth shut...then I show my gratitude by tipping the captain and DM (which is the best time to make yourself known)...

cowboyneal:
I have 12 personalities: can I get a discount? LOL!!!!

Actually...I think I counted 13 :wink:

Another thing to remember is Mexico isn't the United States. If you expect it to be you will be dissappointed. Here in the U.S. we tend to be anal about knowing every minute detail of something and having a strict schedule. In Mexico they don't stress out over the details or sweat the small stuff yet things somehow get done in the end. You'll get frustrated if you expect to know every detail in advance - what the boat will look like, where to stand/sit, where to put your stuff, what you'll have for a snack, when you'll return to the dock, etc.

Christi:
Actually...I think I counted 13 :wink:

That was on a Friday though...

ReefHound:
Another thing to remember is Mexico isn't the United States. If you expect it to be you will be dissappointed. Here in the U.S. we tend to be anal about knowing every minute detail of something and having a strict schedule. In Mexico they don't stress out over the details or sweat the small stuff yet things somehow get done in the end. You'll get frustrated if you expect to know every detail in advance - what the boat will look like, where to stand/sit, where to put your stuff, what you'll have for a snack, when you'll return to the dock, etc.

Exactly right...you have to get "island head" as soon as you get off the plane...easy to do once you've done it a dozen or so times (ha)...this doesn't only go for Cozumel or Mexico, but for many dive destinations...you gotta go with the flow!

ReefHound:

Yeah, I see folks run into that one every time I go there. "Where is that dive boat??!! They said that they would be here at 8:30 and now it's 8:35!!" Me, I have the Ceremonial Removal Of The Wristwatch as the plane is landing on Cozumel; the position of the sun is an accurate enough timepiece for me while I'm there. What time are we going fishing? Precisely when the boat gets here.

Wow. I didn't realize that I would wad up so many panties with on short post.
Where to start? First of all, I put up this post as my experience, and posted it as coming form a new diver's perspective. Whatever anyone else feels or has experienced with DP, makes no difference, this was how my trip went. Maybe it was indicative of how DP operates, maybe I just got unlucky a few times.

This was my 2nd experience with a dive op, the 1st being in PV when my wife and I got certified. That is my frame of reference, and it was a better experience.

This was not my 1st trip to Mexico, far from it. I am well aware of how things work down there. Just like the US, there are good and bad companies in any industry to deal with. But a dive op is a SERVICE. A service which I paid for. I don't care were I am, service is service, and it will be good or bad. I do not accept bad service because of the country I am in, I'll go elsewhere, good service can be had no matter where you are.

Regarding a price break, I didn't expect a diving discount, but a show of good faith would have been nice. There were 6 of us diving all week, almost all of us had our own equipment, 2 people were renting. Throw in a rental of something for God’s sake, even throw in a free light rental for the night dives maybe, a little show of appreciation goes a long way, and a lot of businesses forget that. And before somebody tries to jump all over me about being in business to make a profit, I own and operate 2 businesses myself so bark up another tree.

Cowboyneal. My wife had a new BCD. It has a bit of a tricky lock on the weight pouch. She must not have had it clasped all the way; of perhaps it was defective, who knows. Mistakes happen sometimes, and hers was pretty minor.

Reefhound. The Tripadvisor post was my wife's, I just saw it when you linked to it and had no idea that she put that up. Thanks for noticing though...

Haggling. In my opinion you are forced to do it in Mexico. Less than in Jamaica, more than in the US, but its there. Regulated cab fares my ***... All in all I was kind of joking with that comment though, to haggle is to be in Mexico, and I know that when I go there.

The language barrier. Bring on the flames for this one boys and girls, because I am about to become even more unpopular. I understand that the language in Mexico is Spanish. I also understand that the dive ops there cater to a mainly English speaking clientele. Speak the language of you customer. I live in the US. If I owned an Arab grocery store, you'd be damn sure that I spoke Arabic. It's all a service issue to me really. As I said, a dive op is a SERVICE, you are selling yourself and you're company's service, you better know what that takes to service you're customer. I don't care where you are in the world, take care of you’re customer or they wont' be back.

That’s enough for me, I hope I've explained myself sufficiently for everyone, if not, as was said, take my reviews and comments with a grain of salt. I'm happy to have found this board and the people on it. There seems to be a wealth of information and good people on it.

Mike :D

*** MOD Note ***
I have (I hope) edited out the confrontational TOS violating language.
If I missed any, please PM me and I'll clean it up :)
Y'all be sweet & play nice, ok?
Thanks for your understanding and compliance.
Love,
Uncle Ricky
*** MOD Note ***

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom