dive phuket march 4-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Racha Noi in high season tends to be Bungalow bay... not very exciting. I've heard the north east side of the island is better.

Sharks Point is always fun but didn't see a shark there during my 2 dives there there. Heard they are kinda rare now.

Stevenl.. any ideas which of the Phuket operators will do night dives? Sounds like fun!

no sharks at shark point? now i am rethinking my dive plans

Traminer:
Racha Noi in high season tends to be Bungalow bay... not very exciting. I've heard the north east side of the island is better.

Sharks Point is always fun but didn't see a shark there during my 2 dives there there. Heard they are kinda rare now.

Stevenl.. any ideas which of the Phuket operators will do night dives? Sounds like fun!

Traminer: Your memory is failing you :hanged: Bungalow Bay is a Racha YAI site, and it can be a nice, easy dive.
Shark Point isn't alive with sharks, it's true. But I've seen a leopard shark on each of my recent dives there.

Nightdives: on Sunday with Sea Bees (Koh Doc Mai) and Monday with Calypso (Racha Yai). Plus of course at the housereefs here at Kata and some other places as well.

Agree with Traminer: I don't like Bungalow Bay (Racha Yai), I prefer the local dives at Kata.

stevenl:
Agree with Traminer: I don't like Bungalow Bay (Racha Yai), I prefer the local dives at Kata.

Bungalow Bay is mostly an average dive but sometimes this site will surprise you. Who of you remembers the black rubber boot with the black angler fish on top of it? Or the two robust ghost pipe fishes on top of the broken squid trap? It was nearly like diving in Lembeh; lots of trash and cool critters! Oups, maybe I'm getting a little bit too carried away now? :D

All the discussion of day trips is all very well, but the OP says:

"saturday afternoon and sunday morning only"

jigo - can you tell us exactly when you arrive and depart and by what mode of transport..this will aid in trip planning....

plans have changed. will get there saturday night. thus can dive only sunday since am leaving tuesday morning. i plan to skip seminars on sunday so i can do a 3 tank day trip. thanks for your responses guys!

The local dives off Kata, Kata Noi and Karon beaches certainly have a lot more marine life than Bungalow bay at Racha Yai. The viz would not be as good as at Racha but then some prefer to see more marine life than divers. Also the beauty of these sites is that only a handful of operators offer these dive site options hence less divers, boat surface traffic etc! Also night dives are readily available - either shore dives or longtail boat dives. Don't expect to see any of the bigger pelagics, instead you could concentrate on the smaller marine creatures as well as huge schools of fusiliers, batfish, parrotfish, barracudas, blue spotted stingrays and the occassional turtle etc. Not bad for a half day dive if you do not have the time to go on a longer trip! Prices for shore dives from about 900 baht inc equipment and about 1300 baht for a longtail boat dive inc equipment.

Whatever you do Jigo - enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom