Dive report - Lemon Shark Dive - Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Videodude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone.

This past Sunday, I was hired to be the Videographer for a group dive put together by Scuba Network in Deerfield Beach to go watch the Lemon Shark Migration in Jupiter, FL.

Upon our arrival in Jupiter, we drive to the Scubaworks Dive Shop and get signed in, fill out waivers, etc. Then we have to drive over to the marina and unload our gear which will be picked up by Randy (in a pickup truck) of Emerald Charters and driven to the boat. Then he will come back for us and drive us over to the boat.

Getting everyone situated on the boat went fairly smoothly. Captain Laura and Divemaster Stephanie (or was it Captain Stephanie and Divemaster Laura? :confused: ) did a nice job of getting everyone aboard and ready for departure. After a quick briefing by Randy, we're underway. This is the first time Terri and I have ever been on this boat, or gone out of Jupiter Inlet, so it was a new experience right away.

So we're on our way to find some Lemon Sharks and we get to the place where they're supposed to be and get geared up. I was supposed to have Terri as a dive buddy, but on the way out of the marina she was asked to help with an open water student who had been added to our group at the last minute. So we arrive at dive site #1 which turns out to be the wreck of "The Zion", which also turns out to be one of three wrecks nearby, and Randy hopes we will see all of them along with the sharks. We drop down practically on top of a Southern Stingray, then drift over to the wreck in order to sneak up on the sharks. Well, no sharks but there were 3 Goliath Groupers hanging around the wreck. I managed to get video of one of them before it ducked inside and never came back out. We also came across a nice-sized barracuda before heading off to the other two wrecks. We never did see any sharks and now it's time to head up for safety stops and surface intervals. We were all required to have surface marker buoys before leaving the dock, and we found out as we were getting in for the dive that this is because there are no dive flags aboard!!

Dive #2 was on Loggerhead Reef and the viz was much better here than dive #1. Immediately we see a Sea Turtle swimming about and we also came across a very cooperative school of Spadefish. A little further along we find a Green Moray, then another Sea Turtle and another and another and another!! Got some good video of one who didn't like us bothering him and got video of him turning towards the camera and swimming off. Then, just as I was going up for my safety stop, I saw another Green Moray. So I'd have to say that Dive #2 was the best dive of the two.

Viz on Dive #1 was about 50ft, Dive #2 was about 70ft
Water temp was 71

Here's a link to one of the turtle clips:
YouTube - Sea Turtle on Loggerhead Reef - Jupiter, FL

Doug the Video Dude!!

The lemons have been elusive this year - I've seen an "agregation" of 2 in numerous dives since mid December.

Don't know what the story is; some believe they are not gathering, or if they are, they scatter as soon as a group of divers hit the water.

In general, sites such as the Zion Train, MG 111, Cap't Curls, have not yielded a sighting. At least so far......

Regardless, your chance of seeing them decrease dramaticaly the more divers that drop in on a site. Hope to see them within then next month or so; am going to keep trying!

Great video, Doug. A few lemons have been spotted, but due to the warm weather and water that has lingered on, it's a rare find to spot the lemons. Hopefully, the cooler weather we've been experiencing recently will bring the lemons in more droves than we've been experiencing thus far. Feb. is usually the best month to see them. Hopefully you'll get a chance to dive again at that time and video some good lemon shark dives.

An SMB is imperative to have on every dive.....especially with the charter you went with, with no dive flag visible to oncoming traffic. This is why I dive with a specific charter out of Jupiter exclusively, because they ALWAYS have a dive master with a float on every single dive. Safety first.

Doug, great report and video. Please let me know if you and Terri will head that way in March as I'd like to join you. Sorry the Lemons were illusive.

I went out with Chuck and Angie (Amazz) in mid-December and we were lucky to hit a big group (15-20) of Lemons on the the wrecks. With only Angie and I in the water we had a few minutes when a couple of the big guys came at us before the group took off.

This was my first good run at the sharks in the 4 years I have been trying to see the action. Certainly not a slam dunk in any case.

The lemons have been elusive this year - I've seen an "agregation" of 2 in numerous dives since mid December.

Don't know what the story is; some believe they are not gathering, or if they are, they scatter as soon as a group of divers hit the water.

In general, sites such as the Zion Train, MG 111, Cap't Curls, have not yielded a sighting. At least so far......

Regardless, your chance of seeing them decrease dramaticaly the more divers that drop in on a site. Hope to see them within then next month or so; am going to keep trying!

Last edited:
Doug. It was a plasure having you and the Scuba Networks group on board. Jon did a super job of accommodating his group and everyone had a great time. Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks Randy.

Terri and I definitely want to come back up and do the Zion again. For various reasons, neither of us got to spend as much time as we would've liked on it or the other two wrecks. They looked beautiful though. Hope we can get back up there soon!

Doug

just a quick note to everyone,

When I said there were "no dive flags aboard", I was referring to drift flags for divers, not the flag that the boat is supposed to fly. That one was flying all day....

sorry if there was any confusion on this...

Randy,

Thank you and your crew for a really wonderful experience! An excellent job was done accomodating the group that included divers of all experience levels. We are really looking forward to diving in the Jupiter area again with your organization.

Terri

Doug. It was a plasure having you and the Scuba Networks group on board. Jon did a super job of accommodating his group and everyone had a great time. Hope to see you again soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom