Dive report - Lemon Shark Dive - Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this might sound like a silly question, but it is not intended to be one.... what is a 'proper' signalling device. I carry a safety sausage (picked up from a LDS) with a 25 foot tether that I shoot up on my safety stop anytime I am on a drift dive. I usually will send the safety sausage up regardless of whether another nearby diver has also shot one up: about the only time I don't send one up at the saftey stop is when I just happen to be coming up the a DM. I am gathering from the discussion in this thread that the typical safety sausage is not really considered to be adequate.

I think similarly interesting question would be: What are the legal ascpects of this practice?

In Fl state waters, the diver is to be within 300 ft of the dive flag. Do people believe that an SMB constitutes the legal equivalent of a (state required) dive flag? It sounds to me like divers might be getting more than 300 ft away from the boat which is carrying the dive flag. The whole issue is unclear to me.

I think similarly interesting question would be: What are the legal ascpects of this practice?

In Fl state waters, the diver is to be within 300 ft of the dive flag. Do people believe that an SMB constitutes the legal equivalent of a (state required) dive flag? It sounds to me like divers might be getting more than 300 ft away from the boat which is carrying the dive flag. The whole issue is unclear to me.

The law is being broken regularly. :)

The law is being broken regularly. :)

So you are saying that is standard practice for the commercial operators to break the flag laws? How do we expect boaters to comply with the law and expect law enforcement to "do their job" when it appears that these divers are not complying with the laws themselves? I'm still confused?

A previous post said that the divemaster did not have a float ball or a flag??? I'm still confused?

A previous post said that the divemaster did not have a float ball or a flag??? I'm still confused?

I've seen it being done both ways. What difference does it make when the divers are not required to stay with the DM and on many dives (if not most), it's nearly impossible for every diver to stay with the DM.

Hmm....
I'm going to Jupiter next month for my first experience diving there. It will also be my first experience doing a drift dive. I am also taking their nitrox course so will be thinking about that...

dumpsterDiver, thanks for not letting this go. I appreciated your persistence here....

deepstops, thanks for your numbers on the current, how far you would get behind the DM, etc. - it puts things into perspective.

I am planning on taking my new camera and getting as many pictures as I can. Except now it may seem that I can't delay too long for a picture. I guess one benefit that I have is that I will have an instructor with me for the first two dives as part of the nitrox course.

I can't help but wonder what boaters would feel (and maybe law enforcement as well) if they read this post?

I am not an experience SMB user either but will plan on using it on all my dives there. I've really been looking forward to it. Like dumpsterDiver, I'm having a little difficulty, though, with the apparent disregard of a law that we hold boaters accountable to and for which a special awareness day is being held throughout Florida?

Mike, it's not all operators that run their operation that way. I am IN NO WAY putting down any operators when I say this.......as Brian states, it is what it is.....but typically hunters basically go solo when they dive. Certain charters cater to these types of experienced divers, and they know the risks involved. So it's GOOD that these charters exist for people that want to dive their own dive and feel comfortable taking those risks. The charter you will be on when you're here, however, drops hunters off at a different spot on the reef where the hunting is better for them (and there's really not that many hunters), and drops the photo hounds and drift divers in with a dive master who carries a float ball on every dive. Not everyone stays with the DM, but they all come up fairly close, where they are within the legal distance away from the flag and/or boat. The boat follows the flag, but notices the bubbles of other divers and picks them up first if they ascend before the DM and his/her group or whoever is closer to the boat. The DM is the last one to be picked up. I will be your buddy on the dives, I have a SMB that will be shot up with a reel during our safety stop, and we will be picked up shortly after surfacing. Rest assured, you can take your time taking all the photos you want without worry that we'll end up being dangerously far away from the boat. In fact, taking pictures will slow us down and we'll be closer to the boat than the DM will be when he/she surfaces. The boat picks up all other divers before the DM.

Last edited:
Okay, cool! Sounds like a plan. I was contacted offline and given the same info. All in all, I'm superexcited and looking forward to it. I will ask someone to take a picture of me with my camera, so that I can add it to my profile on SB.

Just thought of another question - does JDC provide drinks/water/fruit or something on the trips or do we bring our own?

JDC offers free water, soda (both regular and diet), and pretzels and cookies. Some people bring along their own sports drinks or other snacks. I'll probably bring along a pineapple to share, as I love fruit between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom