Dive report - Lemon Shark Dive - Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry two 170' spools and two of these:
XS Scuba Surface Marker Buoy These are 7" wide and at least 4' standing up out of the water when properly inflated.

I prefer shooting the SMB from the bottom because the gas expansion from the deeper depth makes the SMB fuller and stand up higher on the surface. It's also worth pointing out none of the SMBs will stand up on the surface unless you're keeping some downward tension on it as you ascend.

Thanks for the info deepstops: I am using a 4 foot version of this (and I have no idea exactly how much of that actually sticks out the water once it is on the surface) which I send up at 20 feet, the 7 foot version is probalby more obvious to boaters. I was aware that you need to keep tension on the line, periodically, I will look up during the safety stop to ensure the sausage is not floating on its side.

The XS scuba bag looks nice. I have a Zeagle SMB bag that is similar and works really good. I found a great deal on a similar bag from Piranha Dive Manufacturing and the price can't be beat. Piranha Dive Manufacturing

High Vis YELLOW SMB

# 6 Feet Length 6" X 72"
# 210 Denier with a urethane backing
# Approximately 40lbs of lifting capacity
# Small compact design for easy storage
# Our smb has a oral / Bc hose inflator at the bottom
# Non-Slip valve at bottom allows air into the smb and stay in without dumping out!
# Diver can fill the smb either by your regulator or mouth with the opening at the bottom
# Lead weights located inside the smb at the bottom allows smb to stand straight up at the surface better than other smb's!
# Also by having lead weights at the bottom the opening is easier to work with underwater
# When rolled up it has a quick clip for easy attachment to your Bc rig!
# You can attached a night light / stick or glow tube on the side with our attaching window
# Has an over pressure relief button to prevent premature blow outs / failures
# Color is High Visibility YELLOW

Sale Price: $27.99 (Regular Price:$65.99)

The Piranha SMB has some weight at the bottom which helps a little to keep it up right. I also prefer the High viz yellow.

but typically hunters basically go solo when they dive. Certain charters cater to these types of experienced divers, and they know the risks involved. So it's GOOD that these charters exist for people that want to dive their own dive and feel comfortable taking those risks. The charter you will be on when you're here, however, drops hunters off at a different spot on the reef where the hunting is better for them (and there's really not that many hunters), and drops the photo hounds and drift divers in with a dive master who carries a float ball on every dive. Not everyone stays with the DM, but they all come up fairly close, where they are within the legal distance away from the flag and/or boat. The boat follows the flag, but notices the bubbles of other divers and picks them up first if they ascend before the DM and his/her group or whoever is closer to the boat. The DM is the last one to be picked up. I will be your buddy on the dives, I have a SMB that will be shot up with a reel during our safety stop, and we will be picked up shortly after surfacing. Rest assured, you can take your time taking all the photos you want without worry that we'll end up being dangerously far away from the boat. In fact, taking pictures will slow us down and we'll be closer to the boat than the DM will be when he/she surfaces. The boat picks up all other divers before the DM.

JupiterMermaid, you contradict yourself in your post. You state that certain operators allow hunters to dive without a float at their own risk, yet you say that other operators drop hunters on a separate part of the reef from the DM who has the float. Aren't those hunters, in fact, diving without a float?

How can you say that divers who don't stay with the divemaster are within a legal distance from the float/boat? How do you know that? What control do you have as a customer over that? Typically in a current divers who get separated tend to drift a reasonable distance from each other. But if you have a spearo and a macro photographer on the same dive in a current, they could end up a mile apart.

The boat watches the bubbles of the divers who don't stay with the divemaster? Are you kidding me? No, the captain follows the float ball and is aware of bubbles in the area. Have you ever been out in 3-5 foot seas? Try to follow those bubbles.

How do you figure that taking your time and going slower than the divemaster will get you closer to the boat? That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The captain is watching that float ball. If you are not with that float ball, then you should consider yourself on your own. Every captain in Jupiter is damn good. I have been out with all of them and trust each one....Emerald, JDC, Blue Tang. They are used to picking up divers all over the place who choose not to stay with the divemaster's float either because they are hunting, photographing, or just plain doing their own thing. The SMB is one of the most important pieces of lifesaving equipment a diver can use. Learn to deploy one from depth and you may save your life. You only need to shoot it from your safety stop, as shooting it from the deep brings on it's own challenges and dangers for the inexperienced.

Don't give advice to divers coming to Jupiter for the first time in areas where you have little experience. Your post contains several items that are not true. I'd go out on limb to venture a guess that you have never driven a boat with divers onboard. I'm sure you are a very good diver, but all good divers have something to learn.

Deepstops-- The diver is responsible to stay within 300' of the dive flag. If the diver intends to lag behind or adventure off then THEY should have their own flag. The boat intends you to dive as a group with the DM. In the briefings I have listened to it is said, "Stay with the DM, The DM is the one who is not lost." I have special gear and training in keeping people together and accounted for unfortunatley not everyone is into that sort of thing.

I do not expect every rec diver to carry 2ea 170' spools or try to blow a bag from depth without some pratice at 20'. I'd rather seem them use the better sausage and a finger spool at their safety stop.

Are you in fact saying what you do is not safe and you should have your own flag? If this is the case why do you not bring your own flag?

I have lagged myself behind and in front of the group on Jupiter dives but I generally end up coming up with the DM at :45 minutes after the crowd is gone.

I aggree with you about shooting a bag and pulling your own float. However my orginal point was: If you dive with the group along the ledge in Jupiter you are perfectly safe as in, you will get a ride back.

Chuckitall.jpg

JupiterMermaid, you contradict yourself in your post. You state that certain operators allow hunters to dive without a float at their own risk, yet you say that other operators drop hunters on a separate part of the reef from the DM who has the float. Aren't those hunters, in fact, diving without a float?

How can you say that divers who don't stay with the divemaster are within a legal distance from the float/boat? How do you know that? What control do you have as a customer over that? Typically in a current divers who get separated tend to drift a reasonable distance from each other. But if you have a spearo and a macro photographer on the same dive in a current, they could end up a mile apart.

The boat watches the bubbles of the divers who don't stay with the divemaster? Are you kidding me? No, the captain follows the float ball and is aware of bubbles in the area. Have you ever been out in 3-5 foot seas? Try to follow those bubbles.

How do you figure that taking your time and going slower than the divemaster will get you closer to the boat? That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. The captain is watching that float ball. If you are not with that float ball, then you should consider yourself on your own. Every captain in Jupiter is damn good. I have been out with all of them and trust each one....Emerald, JDC, Blue Tang. They are used to picking up divers all over the place who choose not to stay with the divemaster's float either because they are hunting, photographing, or just plain doing their own thing. The SMB is one of the most important pieces of lifesaving equipment a diver can use. Learn to deploy one from depth and you may save your life. You only need to shoot it from your safety stop, as shooting it from the deep brings on it's own challenges and dangers for the inexperienced.

Don't give advice to divers coming to Jupiter for the first time in areas where you have little experience. Your post contains several items that are not true. I'd go out on limb to venture a guess that you have never driven a boat with divers onboard. I'm sure you are a very good diver, but all good divers have something to learn.

Chuck, in all due respect, I was not trying to come across as an expert in any area of diving (I find people who do so very complacent in their own competencies). My particular answer to a diver coming to Jupiter for the first time was to explain the difference between divers wanting to stay close to the DM and those who choose to do their own dive. Certainly, the hunters take their own risk by going in the direction that takes them where they want to go. In the case of the person in question, he was concerned about his diving in current while taking pictures and trying to keep up with the DM to stay within legal limitations of the flag/float. I was merely trying to alleviate his fears that his intentions would not go awry should he want to linger 20 ft or more away from the divemaster to take a picture. No one can control what all divers do......I've dove enough dives to figure that out! But, for someone coming to Jupiter to dive for the first time (or 100th or more), there are protocols that can be followed that will allow them the comfort to be within the safety limits of the boat/dive flag if they wish to do so. I am not attempting to cause a controversy or sound all-knowing. The more I learn about diving the more I realize how much more I have to learn.

I admit that I have never driven a boat, nor even know how to, but I have been topside with captains, talking about divers, their location, and plan on who to pick up when. Nothing is guaranteed, but when one is familiar with their surroundings, aware of what is going on, one can pretty much maintain their level of comfort as to where they are. A hunter who strays to where the good catches are knows that they may surface farther away from the boat than a sight watcher or a photographer. Knowing the reef, where the DM is heading, good navigational skills, and proper deployment of a SMB all come into play on all dives. The person I attempted to alleviate his fears to is a diver who wants to play by the rules. When one is making a concerted effort in the doing so can dive with almost certainty that he will be within the legal limits of the dive flag/float. Things happen, of course, that can change that, but diligence and non-complacency can off-set that chance of being farther away less of a probability. I have a SMB that is deployed during the saftey stop, and he will be with me at that time. Those that choose to do their own thing are free to do so, and may very well end up being a mile or more away from the boat. That is their choice, but not what the person concerned about what thinking about doing, however. My advice was directed to him, and his concern of wanting to stay within the limitations of the dive flag/float law, not all divers. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
just a quick note to everyone,

When I said there were "no dive flags aboard", I was referring to drift flags for divers, not the flag that the boat is supposed to fly. That one was flying all day....

sorry if there was any confusion on this...

Just for clarification, the Original Poster said that THERE WAS NO FLAG being pulled by a dive master. Apparently the boat is simply following bubbles?

In this type of situation, the argument about staying with a DM (or not) seems completely irrelevant because there's no flag to stay close to. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

I completely agree that deployment of a sausage from beneath the surface is very important but it doesn't seem to address some of the other legal "technicalities" associated with the flag itself.

I am looking forward to this trip, the nitrox course, the dive and the whole experience. I am not super experienced at 86 dives, and my plan is to learn slowly. Since this will be my first drift dive, I intend to stay close to the group. If the group spreads out, then my first focus is on my buddy(ies), while trying to keep the DM in site.

I believe in communication. I have no trouble letting Heather (my assigned instructor for the nitrox dives) and Sandy know what my expectations are, and I will be asking what their expectations are as well.

Since all I want to do is float along the reef and take picures while monitoring my depth, I expect it to be easy to keep the DM in site, unless viz is nil.

I will pay attention to the briefing.

Here's an SMB question. First, Sandy, if you don't mind, maybe I can deploy mine instead of you deploying yours? Just so I can get the practice?

But, if 6 divers are all within 30' of the DM at the safety stop, all 6 wouldn't deploy their SMBs, would they?

And finally, my original questions/concerns were like Sandy mentioned. I'm not down there to be concerned about what the hunters are doing, or how the boat drivers follow along. My concern was, and still is, that I do not contribute negatively to the dive by not playing by the rules.

I'm gonna have a good time!

Good thread! As you can see there are different opinions on Dive Flags and Surface Bouys. I spent some time with Lt Bingham from the FWC to get clatification on the law. The boat must carry a dive flag and make every reasonable effort to stay within 300 ft of the divers. The divers must either make an effort to stay within 300ft or carry their own flag.

When I have groups on board I am likely to have a dive guide carry a flaeg. I will not allow a Divemaster to carry a flag. It takes away from their ability to help divers in need and the boat only knows where the DM is. I do require everyone to have a SMB or they do not get off the boat. I carry 4 SMBs with me and deploy from depth to mark my location for other boaters. I find this the safest method for my waters. When the dive flag laws came into being, the FWC wanted EVERY DIVER to carry a flag. The dive industry lobbied and compromised with our current laws.

Unless you are just trying to say some operator is wrong, you are all right. If you can, try to carry a Float or lift bag and send it up from 30 ft or so. This is the easiest way to be sure the boats see you, Especially if you are going to plan to be separated from the group taking pictures or hunting.
Good diving and be safe.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom