Dive report - Lemon Shark Dive - Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You hit on an excellent point, Dan. I think this is one of the skills (listening, looking 360 around, ascending with an uplifted hand first instead of head) that many of us take for granted. Many of us do it instinctively for the most part, but forget to mention often enough to newer divers or those that have not been taught this important part of surfacing. Thanks for the reminder!

BYW, did you ever find out where Frank is and/or what he's doing now?

Hi Jupitermaid,
No, I have still not located Frank yet...I have tried the Internet service that is supposed to give you current addresses and phone numbers for a cost--the cost part works, but the phone and address info are all old and no good ... :)

Regards,
Dan

I'm not worried about the dive at all. Just excited. I have the DAN SMB, plus a 100' line. Whether I deploy it before ascending or at the safety stop is not too important.

Is it possible that it would stand up higher on the surface if you deployed it earlier...i.e. at a deeper depth, giving the air inside more time to expand as it rises?

You need less air in that SMB the deeper you deploy it. Yes, the air expands as it ascends. I imagine the DAN SMG has a dump to allow the air to escape if it get too full as it ascends. However, I caution you about filling that thing at depth and ascending with it. If you are not used to doing it, it is quite complicated. You simply don't have enough hands to do it comfortably at first. The last thing you want is to have your reel jam, get tangled and fly to the surface with that thing. You really should try it the first time from your SS. I'm so used to doing it froom 25 ft. that I find it very awkward when I shoot it from depth. Add a current and it really complicates things. You'll have a great dive. I'll do the fair weather great visibility dance for you. Both captains at JDC are extremely competent. You are in great hands.

Randy- I like the idea of a "Dive Guide" towing a flag, float, ball to mark the position and the DM left to be the speedy torpedo of rescue/ assistance they should be.

The Bolt on a string works. I have seen the 6 oz wieght on 20' of string done with the smaller Safety sausage. I personally would not want 28' of string flying below me attached to a bag with 40# of lift though. A safety sausage I can swim down easily a 40# bag not so much.

The finger spool
fingerspool1.jpg
is cheap and really easy to master it is almost "Expert Diver Proof."

I've deployed my SMB a number of times. Even so, I have to admit that it is a somewhat clumsy maneuver. I think the main thing is to not attach the spool to yourself while inflating the SMB. If it gets tangled (I'll unspool and rewind mine before I head south) I guess the best thing is to just let it go.

Yes, the first thing you want to make sure before you start inflating the it is that the SMB is NOT attached to you or entangled in any of your equipment. Inflate it with the current going to your back to keep the SMB away from your body. If the line gets tangled you don't want to end up shooting up to the surface with it. You just let it go if it snags, and then collect it once you safely ascend.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom