Trip Report Dive report Little Corn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been lax about writing dive reports which is a failure on my part so I'm going to try and be a little better....Little Corn island Dive report Aug 6-15th 2017.... Spent 9 days staying at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow (great stuff, see trip advisor later for a more in-depth review on the accommodations) and doing 2 tanks a day with Dolphin Dive. The resort is great. Top notch food and drink (filet/legal lobster, etc... at reasonable prices) service is wonderful and the rooms are perfect. Steps from the ocean but a nice shaded area in front of the bungalows with plenty of palms, sand and hammocks. No AC but the rooms are engineered to make use of the ample ocean breeze and are equipped with some well thought out fan placement. AC was never really an issue. It's about a 10 minute walk to the two dive shops on the island from the resort though there are other close by places to stay including at Los Delfines which is the dive shop hotel and located on site. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We pack in our own kit but the rental equipment the other divers and students were using seemed newer and well maintained. Tank fills were generous... And you were far more likely to see 3500psi then you were a short fill. The dive boats are small and quick and most dives are within 10 minutes of the shop. They offer 3 dives a day. Deeper dives are at 9an, then slightly shallower at 1130 and 230p. Also regular night dives and if the weather is permitting, trips to Blowing Rock. Which is about a 30-40 minute boat ride, 2 tank dive around a really pretty dive site. Each of the other dives are only one tank. Because all the sites are so close, they return after each one tank dive. Makes it easy to grab a lunch etc... Before heading back out. We dove with DM Chloe, Gary and instructor/DM Molly. They were all enthusiastic about what they do and did it well and with a smile. I basically just dive around my own profile and keep track of the groups bubbles but my fiancee is a newer diver and really enjoys a good DM... And they all fit that bill. I took my 14 year old son on this trip and he obtained his OW and was able to dive with us on the last couple of days. George, his instructor was super helpful, pleasant and according to my son a very clear and easy to understand, enjoyable instructor. Life that was seen was the normal Caribbean/Central American fare... There did seem to be an abundance of southern stingrays.. some quite large, plenty of curious nurse sharks on every dive, some hawk billed turtle and a lot of toad fish hiding here and there. My son got to see a Goliath Grouper on the last day and was of course his first look at anything that large, weighing in at hundreds of pounds... (Estimating 400lbs) just lounging under a cleft and letting me take snaps. Diving was done in everything from Sunny calm, overcast, chop and rain. Vis stayed a pretty consistent 70-100 ft. The dive sites are relatively shallow... Usually around 50ft... Some around 70 and a few in the 35 range. There is occasionally some current to push you around but nothing major on our dives. Water entry is by James bonding off the bost or having the boat Captain hand your gear over the side to put on in the water. Dolphin Dive itself seems a well run and safety conscious shop that stays on top of the new and inexperienced divers ability as well as allowing those with experience to manage their own profile. They were a blast and I would dive with again or recommend them easily.

Enjoyed your report; Little Corn is one of those destinations I see a report posted on once in awhile but not often. Which leads to some questions:

1.) Out of all the places you could've gone, why there? Was it mainly a dive trip with no other agendas?

2.) In terms of total trip cost, travel time, etc..., how do you believe it stacks up to other destinations?

3.) They offer 3 dives/day (+ some night diving) but you only did 2/day; what did you guys do the rest of the day? What's the topside activity scene like?

Richard.

Yes, thanks for the report. I'm also curious about the travel to the islands. Is there a puddle jumper from Managua?

Yes, thanks for the report. I'm also curious about the travel to the islands. Is there a puddle jumper from Managua?
a puddle jumper from Managua to Big Corn on La Costena airlines about an hour to hour and a half flight time and then a 30 minute Panga Boat ride over to Little Corn, aprox 6.00 US.
The panga however can handle any luggage that you happen to bring in their dry storage. we pack in our own kit plus we had clothes etc for 2 adults and 2 children. Arrive early for the panga..there is usually two boats eash seating 30-35 people but if you show up late you could be stuck waiting...My advice is to find a seat in the middle. The people in back can get wet as hell and the people in front take the brunt of the waves with their rear ends. The middle keeps you resonably dry with the most comfortable ride.

Last edited:
Enjoyed your report; Little Corn is one of those destinations I see a report posted on once in awhile but not often. Which leads to some questions:

1.) Out of all the places you could've gone, why there? Was it mainly a dive trip with no other agendas?

2.) In terms of total trip cost, travel time, etc..., how do you believe it stacks up to other destinations?

3.) They offer 3 dives/day (+ some night diving) but you only did 2/day; what did you guys do the rest of the day? What's the topside activity scene like?

Richard.
I chose Little Corn this time rather then the Bay islands area that I usually do, because i simply wanted to branch out, it is fairly isolated and not bulging with tourists and the diving was reported to be good. Another factor was that on this particular outing, I was taking an 11 and a 14 year old, as well as some extended family. Little Corn gave the impression of being beautiful and safe. No crime to speak, tourism is scant compared to other places and zero motor vehicles of any type on the island. Otherwise..yes this was mainly a dive trip without other agenda. We dove 2 dives a day instead of 3 due to wanting to share our time with the children and help them experience their first travel outside the US.

The main expense of this particular trip was in flight costs. My tickets were around 900.00 however my inlaws were able to purchase their tickets after i did and only paid half as much..though their dates were a little more open ended then ours....in fact they are still in Nicaragua lol. We stayed at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow and heartily recommend it. We stayed in the larger bungalows which were about 187.00/night and worth every penny. Comfortable, amazingly so clean they felt brand new. They also had solar power for the brief span that island power is off during the day. The grounds, beach and service made it feel like you were staying at a small private resort without the actual downfall (tourism, crowds, moneygrabs) that usually accompany resort travel, ther restaurant service and food rivals anything back home. I honestly dont know how they manage it because the food..is otherworldly. Along with the nightly rate i also opted to pay a 40.00 upcharge per day to get their version of an inclusive plan..this bought 2 meals a day (culmulative) unlimited water, coffee, juice, soda and beer. It also gave 40% off rum drinks, 25% off of the room rates, 10% off of diving in town with Dolphin dive and unlimited use of their snorkel equip, kayaks and paddle boards. It was well worth our money even though the meals at their restaurant the Turned Turtle were very reasonably priced. Compared to anything close to similiar service and accomodations i consider it a good value in central america and an excellant value compared to the bahamas etc...The total trip time was not bad at all...though you do need to plan your arrival around the Panga departure times which were 10am and 4pm.

During our extended surface intervals there is not much to do except relax, eat and drink, explore, swim, snorkel etc...which is actually quite nice. This is a place that basically forces you to relax..almost every bar has a lending library if that tells you anything. There is of course fishing trips and a kiteboarding outfit that offers lessons etc...the sun comes up around 430a and goes down around 6p...there is a bar, restaurant scene in town (about a 10 minute slow pace walk from where we stayed) take a flashlight because when it gets dark....its like level 3 advanced darkness.

All in all, the place is gorgeous and endearing...so safe that on many of our boat dives our 11 year old daughter would come to town with us and read on the beach or at the dive shop alone while we were logging bottom time. I would say the dives compare favorably with the roatan/utila area but far less crowded with only 2 dive shops..Imagine a Bay Islands with zero vehicles and about 1/50th of the population and tourists. Are there more spectacular dive destinations? Absolutely. But in my opinion the relaxed surface atmosphere combined with their diving is hard to beat this close to home. I know plenty of divers who seem like they arent happy unless they are diving in a disney cartoon and always talk far more about what they didnt see, then all the things that they did, but i firmly enjoyed my bottom time.

I will add this...Little Corn Beach and Bungalow and Yemaya are the most expensive accomodation on the island. Yemaya is double the cost at upwards of 400.00 a night and that would skew my value consideration quite a bit in the other direction... because i cant imagine what they could possibly offer to justify that expense. Otherwise there are plenty of accomodations available for all budget types..Los Delphines beside Dolphin Dive for example offers basic rooms with air con and private baths for around 50-60 bucks a night. There are cheaper options as well.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I love Bonaire, but I, too, have been branching out; just got back Sunday from a St. Croix trip, and like you I had family along (though I was the only diver). I grew up mostly in rural Arkansas; I can relate to 'nighttime is dark' (as in can't see your hand in front of your face without a light).

Appreciate the info. you added; I've seen a post asking about the Corn Islands before, and that's just the sort of info. people need to know.

Richard.

TY! This is on my short list of destinations! Little Cayman next week, then LC in the planning....Appreciate your report.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I love Bonaire, but I, too, have been branching out; just got back Sunday from a St. Croix trip, and like you I had family along (though I was the only diver). I grew up mostly in rural Arkansas; I can relate to 'nighttime is dark' (as in can't see your hand in front of your face without a light).

Appreciate the info. you added; I've seen a post asking about the Corn Islands before, and that's just the sort of info. people need to know.

Richard.
We're thinking about Caye Caulker this fall... And maybe Bonaire or Guanaja in the summer...

No AC is an issue for me though! Any humidity at night and my sinuses close up...sleeping is difficult then....if they have adequate fans and a breeze throughout the evenings, then I may survive:)

I know plenty of divers who seem like they arent happy unless they are diving in a disney cartoon and always talk far more about what they didnt see, then all the things that they did, but i firmly enjoyed my bottom time.

One of the best statements I've seen in a long time. Nature is not a zoo to be delivered on demand! Thanks for the report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom