Dive report Nantucket Sound Ma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

make sweeps with sidescan in the area then dive it. alot of marked wrecks in buzzards bay/vineyard sound are no more, i've made a ton of passes looking for evidence and there's just nothing there anymore on a few. and on the flip side, there are a few that look interesting still...

as far as getting the currents under control, get yourself an Eldridge. :)

Yes I use my 2019 Eldridge to get a handle on the areas with highest/lowest currents etc, but I don't buy one every year because there is a lot of tidal information on-line

We definitely need to find a way to get a better handle on the time of ebb, high or low. The P H will be another schooling.
Jordan. You can't use tide tables to predict slack water. Slack can differ from high or low tide by a lot, as you found out. Use Eldredge or better yet, buy the Navionics app for your phone($30). It shows most of the Tide and Current stations. Click on the nearest station and it will show you the predicted current at all hours of the day out 4 or 5 days. I have used this all over VS (including the Port Hunter) and it is usually dead on. If you have a newer Garmin plotter it also has a current function built into the software. BTW for the Pemberton try these numbers: 41-31.841 70-38.379 that should put you right on it. Good Luck

Eldridge also has fantastic current charts that show you pretty damn accurate flow and timing.
For example, while SE Light on Block may have slack current, SWL can be ripping at almost a knot and a half and one point in the current (not tide) cycle.
There's only 5 miles separating the two.

Jordan. You can't use tide tables to predict slack water. Slack can differ from high or low tide by a lot, as you found out. Use Eldredge or better yet, buy the Navionics app for your phone($30). It shows most of the Tide and Current stations. Click on the nearest station and it will show you the predicted current at all hours of the day out 4 or 5 days. I have used this all over VS (including the Port Hunter) and it is usually dead on. If you have a newer Garmin plotter it also has a current function built into the software. BTW for the Pemberton try these numbers: 41-31.841 70-38.379 that should put you right on it. Good Luck

Thanks for the Pemberton numbers!! By any chance do you have a location on the 6 Masked Schooner RUTH E. MERRILL? it should also be in the general area or a little to the east on L'Hommedieu Shoal. All I could find is this very crude chart. That would be a nice find!

Attachments

• wreck_ruth_e_merrill_01.jpg
    wreck_ruth_e_merrill_01.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 63
Eldridge also has fantastic current charts that show you pretty damn accurate flow and timing.
For example, while SE Light on Block may have slack current, SWL can be ripping at almost a knot and a half and one point in the current (not tide) cycle.
There's only 5 miles separating the two.
Absolutely! Eldredge is what we always used before the Navionics and others like it came out. It works well. It's just easier to look it up on an app. The app also has a chart showing the current at various times which is great for those of us that are more visual people.

Thanks for the Pemberton numbers!! By any chance do you have a location on the 6 Masked Schooner RUTH E. MERRILL? it should also be in the general area or a little to the east on L'Hommedieu Shoal. All I could find is this very crude chart. That would be a nice find!
The last time I dove the Merrill was back in 1996 when we were still using LORAN so unfortunately I do not have GPS numbers on her. She was mostly buried back then. You have several other options in the area: Steamer Kershaw, Schooners Francis Taussig and Sagamore. I don't know what your range is but a bit further to the east(off Hyannis) is the Big 6 master Jennie French Potter which is also a very nice dive.

make sweeps with sidescan in the area then dive it. alot of marked wrecks in buzzards bay/vineyard sound are no more, i've made a ton of passes looking for evidence and there's just nothing there anymore on a few. and on the flip side, there are a few that look interesting still...

as far as getting the currents under control, get yourself an Eldridge. :)

Hey @TuckerIdaho any chance you ever checked out the area of the 3 wrecks near Quick's Hole shown on this piece of chart? That area looks like it has drastic depth changes, maybe big rocks and ledges too. Looks interesting. Unless a wreck is at least partly intact it can be difficult to find, even with sidescan. A debris field can be hard to see without a camera. My Lowrance Elite-7 has what they call Down-Scan.

Attachments

• quicks_hole_wrecks_01.jpg
    quicks_hole_wrecks_01.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 58
Whats at 41 31.643N 700 33.993W?

You ask what wreck this is, my answer is I don't know, but that could be the Merrill, it's about where the Merrill should be except that it was reported to be in 30' of water and that's about 90 there. Maybe it slid into deeper water. I go past that spot all the time but I never dove it. There are a couple bumps there on the Lowrance when I go over. I need to dive that someday, maybe next year. If it is the Merrill then it would be a good find!

The last time I dove the Merrill was back in 1996 when we were still using LORAN so unfortunately I do not have GPS numbers on her. She was mostly buried back then. You have several other options in the area: Steamer Kershaw, Schooners Francis Taussig and Sagamore. I don't know what your range is but a bit further to the east(off Hyannis) is the Big 6 master Jennie French Potter which is also a very nice dive.

Thanks for the suggestions, Hyannis is not too far I'll look into Jennie French Potter!
When you dove the Merrill back in 1996 was it in 90 FSW?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom