Dive report; UB88...Seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Phil. I look forward to getting a chance to dive it one day.

Wonderful news and views.

I look forward to the experience

Thank you!!

Good deductive reasoning . . .always had a hunch it was along the 54m-57m/180'-190' contour.

I knew it couldn't be deeper than 66m/220', because it appeared to me the original UB88.org Team was only using two deco gases (nitrox 50 and Oxygen) in AL40's, with the first deco gas switch at 21m/70'.

In the article they wrote, they purposely did not state the actual depth, but gave out "Red-Herring Clues" instead like using a bottom mix of 15/50 which is a trimix blend for a MOD (maximum operatiing depth) of 69m/230' at 1.2 po2. If this was the case, proper MGR (minimum gas reserve) procedure would require using at least three deco gases in three distinctly marked bottles (two AL40's with probably one larger AL80 as well), and the first deco gas switch being at a deeper 36m/120'. There was no indication of these additional deco bottles from the pictures taken of the team underwater or at the surface on the UB88.org website.

Good deductive reasoning . . .always had a hunch it was along the 54m-57m/180'-190' contour.

I knew it couldn't be deeper than 66m/220', because it appeared to me the original UB88.org Team was only using two deco gases (nitrox 50 and Oxygen) in AL40's, with the first deco gas switch at 21m/70'.

In the article they wrote, they purposely did not state the actual depth, but gave out "Red-Herring Clues" instead like using a bottom mix of 15/50 which is a trimix blend for a MOD (maximum operatiing depth) of 69m/230' at 1.2 po2. If this was the case, proper MGR (minimum gas reserve) procedure would require using at least three deco gases in three distinctly marked bottles (two AL40's with probably one larger AL80 as well), and the first deco gas switch being at a deeper 36m/120'. There was no indication of these additional deco bottles from the pictures taken of the team underwater or at the surface on the UB88.org website.
Kendall has been known to use a very conservative mix, so I believe he used 15/50, but I didn't think it was necessary. Because of the dirty water and darkness yesterday I only spent about six minutes on the wreck. I used about 80cu ft of my double 119s and never touched my single 40 with 50%. My total deco obligation was only four minutes. I'm hoping to do my entire dive plan next time. :)

Awesome Phil. Congrats to you and Merry, that's quite a find. Can't wait to see more video.

Merry and I want to dive it again in better vis so we can get some better footage and pictures, then I plan to share the numbers. It's been a secret long enough.

Congratulations !!!

Now that I have an idea on the depth range it should be easier ..... I think I see something on the terrain.

Next week I will plug-in the data in our simulator and see how the terrain looks like.

Maybe one day if we get good images and videos we could create a nice virtual dive site for the UB88 as we did for several other wrecks.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom