Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

08/16 fri
seas 3-4 bigger troughs rough
vis 1ft vis
water temp 84
came back after ride out canceled due to conditions
not good today or Sat by way conditions look

Yea I tried both The Spanish rocks and Venice. Both vis was really bad and the surf was killing us not to mention the current would drag you away. I took both my son's out and cut it after about 5 minutes. Too rough and I didn't feel safe for them. Just made a beach day out of it. They see that cutting a dive is not a bad thing if not safe. The waves at the rocks were 4ft or more...even saw a guy with a surf board!

Going to try Venice again next Sat weather permitting and if no one has plans. Maybe see a few of you out there!

8/23/2013
Yak diving... Started around Service Club about 1/4 to 3/4 mile out (remember on yak so I can move frequently) ... Viz 8-10. Waters 1 ft or so. Water temp 84. Some "whale snot" but overall good dive. Did the boneyard after this and conditions were about the same. No Jellies either (seen).
Last dive did the blocks of Alhambra. Viz was much less (1-5 (average 2 ft)). Very patchy and lots of drift algea. Seemed like the viz was better as you went South (Service Club and probably pier area... saw more dive boats in that area).

Typical finds... nothing great (not that much). Just happy to be out! :)

I had another awesome Loggerhead Turtle encounter today at S.Brohard. Also had a nice size Goliath Grouper show up for a visit! Tide was incoming, water temp. 86 at the surface & 84 on the bottom, viz was 8-10 ft. The eerie green tint is back & there was a lot of snot but it twas still a great dive! Saw no jellies.:D

I had another awesome Loggerhead Turtle encounter today at S.Brohard. Also had a nice size Goliath Grouper show up for a visit! Tide was incoming, water temp. 86 at the surface & 84 on the bottom, viz was 8-10 ft. The eerie green tint is back & there was a lot of snot but it twas still a great dive! Saw no jellies.:D

Get any pictures of the turtle? I knew I should have come down this weekends.will be down next weekend.plan on diving Saturday and maybe Sunday as well.

Matt

8/26/13
in @ 10 am off S. Brohard
Winds NE 6
Tide low @ 11:13 am
water temp 84
seas pretty calm
in 13-18 fsw
viz, variabld. In the blocks, 5-6 ft, over the reef, 2 ft.
lots of snot in the water
some slight current and even a little thermocline during this 1 hr 40 min beach dive. Saw lots of huge and moderate sized snook, flounder, damsels, snapper, small grouper, atlantic spade fish & 2 shortnose batfish that blended right in. Finds were some interesting pieces of turtle shell and a broken tooth.

8/28/13
in @ 9:30 am off Alhambra
Winds E 4 mph, seas calm, beautiful
low tide @ 12:23 pm, so outgoing
water temp 86
in 20 fsw
viz variable, from a murky 6-8 near the blocks, to 1 ft on the fossil bed with lots of snot reducing the viz
finds lots of small clean teeth, trash, and lots of large holes where people are digging for some reason
lots of fish life on the blocks, a few small jellies in 6 ft as i was coming back to shore. Doesn't get much better than this folks!

8/29/2013
Service Club
Time 10 am
Seas Flat
Wind E <5
Water Temp 87
Vis 4'-10'
Finds 1 broken 3" meg, a nice Mako and the usual small stuff

Did see a turtle, a pair of some sort of blue dotted cowfish, a few sail cats. There's a lot of life out there

8am south Broward.
Water temp 84.
Vis variable. Some places 8 to 10 ft others as little as 1 to 2 feet.
Very large ray passed under me when i was 5' offthe bottom near the blocks. Also a very large goliath grouper inthe blocks. As mentioned above, lots of life out there.
Found a partial meg and a nice chunk of bone.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 11:04 PM ----------

10am. South Broward.
Temp. 85
Via. 4 to 6 feet on the reef.
Good pair of dives. Reef is almost completely covered in weeds. Need a good storm to clear it off. Never made it to the blocks as I was enjoying the large schools of small fish following me around the reef.found many small teeth and ray palletpieces. Son did awesome back at the beech. He found a Dixie cups worth of teeth with the sieve we built.
Good times!!!

Matt

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom