Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

03-05
Wed
Seas 2ft
Vis 8-10 ft
Water temp 65
Some silt noticed, overall from here on out between fronts will be great diving water warming up fast

02/23/14 Sunday
water temp 69 surface 65 bottom
vis 8-10 ft in 28 ft
lots of seafog made it cool on surface
surface water color was bright green looked good nice and clear

How far out?

2/23/14
Service Club
Time 9:00 am
Seas 1'
Wind SW @ 5
Water Temp 68
Vis 0-1' near the sandbar and opened to 4'-6' in the 20'-24' depth
there is a lot of silt in areas
Max Depth 24'
Dive Time 94 min
Finds usual small stuff and 2 whale vert

how did you guys dive the same day and have totally different viz? lol

Hows this weekend lookin?

How far out?

how did you guys dive the same day and have totally different viz? lol

Hows this weekend lookin?

The answer is simple. Funny thing down here in Venice is you could be several hundred yards apart from another diver and have different VIS. Normally the further you get away from the beach the visibility will improve. As far as water temps go I personally have two dive computers and they will registry slightly different temperatures at times. Go figure! As far as diving this weekend I think you can expect about the same conditions as above. The beach dive maybe a little iffy but if you go out on a boat I think you would have no problem.

IMG_20140305_112120_013.jpgPrevious post is dead on, I can tell tell you for sure different areas have different vis I.e. heavy silt areas low vis, sea fan areas low vis usually, farther south you go better vis you get. As far as this weekend it's blowing new winds , surfing today so vis more then likely out for weekend I canceled Sat because I won't go if I feel divers won't enjoy the diving meaning bad vis.. we will be getting good conditions in between these low pressure ststems. Below is pic of divers heading down give you ideas of surface vis on wed

3/8/2014
Service Club
Time 9:30 am
Seas Flat
Wind E<5
Water Temp 68
Max Depth 23'
Dive Time 93 min
Vis 0 til 18' then had 2' maybe 3' in some places, a lot of silt around
Finds 1 beat 3" meg and the usual small stuff

Did S.Brohard this morning. Viz was 4-5 ft., water temp 71 on the surface & 69 on the bottom. Flat seas. There is a large ghost cast net stuck in the middle of the reef. I managed to release a good sized sheepshead that was caught in it but much as I wanted to remove the net, I ended up having to leave it there. I was solo & didn't want to become the subject matter for Scuba Diving's "Lessons learned" & the net was just too large for me to handle on my own. If you see it & can remove it or if you would like to buddy up with me to remove it, just give a shout.

Any chance of maybe contacting FWC to alert them?

I did a year ago about the ghost crab traps & was told I could not remove them myself & that they'd make a note of it & that was the end of that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom