Dive Rite 2010 Second Stage with Hole in body????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey gang,

Just got a used Dive Rite 2010 second stage off ebay. Here's the info off the listing, I've hidden the name of the shop that serviced it, but will be contacting them.

Dive Rite RG 2010 Yellow
Adjustable Second Stage
Serviced December 2014 at <<Redacted>>

Breathes great. Extra Reg - In typical used condition - owned and maintained by Cave Dive Instructor

Here's the problem.... it has a hole appx 1/2 inch by 1/8th of an inch in the body where the diaphragm / purge fits in. It doesn't look like it was put there by the factory, looks like it was punched in almost, and it has a ridge that lies where the diaphragm seals up. That was not visible in the picture on the sale, it was the typical face-on shot.

P2120278_800x600.jpgP2120286_800x600.jpgP2120287_800x600.jpg

Is this what you would consider "typical used condition"? The fact that there are some scratches on the body, that the locking ring has a lot of the black rubbed off doesn't bother me at all, but that hole really concerns me.

I'm going to contact the shop that serviced it, but I'm not comfortable with it right now. I've purchased from this particular ebay merchant before and have been pleased, but I'd like to get a couple of opinions before I contact them regarding this.

Thanks,

Steve

I have several Dive Rite regulators and none of them have a hole like this.

There are some brands that do have a hole, for a small pin, that fits into a notch in the faceplate to keep it aligned and harder to remove accidentally. I'm not an expert on all DR regs by any means, but I don't believe they made any like that, and if that pin does exist, it is a round hole, and usually on a side not on the bottom. And, that hole is not set so deep from the front that it is where the diaphragm meets up with the body.

If the hole was created after it left the factory many years ago, then I would return it.

I have several Dive Rite regulators and none of them have a hole like this.

There are some brands that do have a hole, for a small pin, that fits into a notch in the faceplate to keep it aligned and harder to remove accidentally. I'm not an expert on all DR regs by any means, but I don't believe they made any like that, and if that pin does exist, it is a round hole, and usually on a side not on the bottom. And, that hole is not set so deep from the front that it is where the diaphragm meets up with the body.

If the hole was created after it left the factory many years ago, then I would return it.

Nope, it's not for an index pin or anything like that. It's rough and irregular, not like it was drilled, machined or cast that way.

Thanks,

Steve

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 10:33 PM ----------

Ok... I sent an email to the ebay seller, expressed my concerns with the pictures, and asked to return it for a refund. Within a matter of minutes he sent me back a reply apologizing, saying it had gotten by him, and that he was processing a refund. He also said to not bother to send it back, to keep it for parts. As I was replying, up popped the refund notification from PayPal.

I think I'll probably use it as a learning tool to take apart and see how they work.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom