• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive Rite 300 LED Hand held Review

Discussion in 'Lights' started by kmitch, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bdshort

bdshort Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Output wise how would this compare to something like my 8 C-Cell PrincetonTec Shockwave LED?

2. kmitch

kmitch Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    doesnt, this blows it out of the water

3. Chiung

Chiung Solo Diver

I recently sold my DiveRite 10w HID canister light (older style with big canister) to get this 300 LED. So far dove it twice spearing ledges off Daytona. Not quite as bright as the HID, but small size, relatively negligible weight, easy portability, long burn/bulb life all added up to a better light for me.

4. Ber Rabbit

Ber Rabbit Floppy Ear Mod ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Any idea what the candlepower rating is? I have one of these and my husband was asking since 10 watt, etc doesn't mean anything to him.

BTW, if you get one of these and you're a "keep using batteries over and over" person you should start with a fresh set of batteries in this light. I used my faithful set of AA batteries that had seen every night dive I've done in the last year in this light the first time I used it and it only took 10 minutes for it to drain them. I put a fresh set of lithium AA's in it and it rocked!
    Ber :lilbunny:

5. Hoyden

Hoyden Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I have one of the Dive Rite LED lights as well as a couple of 10 Watt HID lights (Dive Rite and Halcyon). I have carried the LED on dives at the same time as an HID so I have seen direct comparisons. The LED is great for night dives or as a back-up light, but if you want a light for signaling during daylight dives, the DR LED isn't it. The beam is just not focused enough for that. Having said that, it sure will be a slick vacation light - no worry about carrying a charger and can light any more.

BTW, Kristen, you sure got the IE pics up quickly:)

Jackie

6. scuby-doo

scuby-doo Dive Shop

OK- this is a great discussion as I am in the market to buy a new light. I've been using a friend's UK Light Cannon 100 and I have to say, it's awesome. I would love the cannister version, but it's a bit pricey. My friend complains that the bulbs for the Light Cannon are expensive and are susceptible to damage). I live/dive in Hawaii as a DM (soon to be instructor). The water is usually very clear. I do a lot of night drift and wreck diving. Silt isn't an issue (unless someone I know forgets he's in a wreck!).

This DR 300 LED sounds very interesting. I like I'd love to get more feedback from users on this.

Thanks

7. scuby-doo

scuby-doo Dive Shop

I'm interested in getting a new primary light. I'm looking at the light cannon by UK - I've used it and it's like the sun underwater. Where can I get good specs and pricing on your Sea Elite HID?

Thanks

8. Cleavitt

Cleavitt Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  9. PerroneFord

PerroneFord DIR Practitioner

# of Dives:
    A good canister light will make the light cannon look like it's not turned on. My buddy used to have one and we'd dive together when I had my 10w HID. Different league.

10. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Of course you can buy four light cannons for the price of a good can light.