Dive rite Nitek He or VR3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristessa

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a new computer and i've been doing alittle research so i practically know what these computers do and how far they will go. I was wondering if any of you have any first hand experience with the two, and which one you'd recommend and why? Have you had any problems with them...etc. I've read good things about both, and i'm leanining towards the nitek, only because on the Vr3 website, there are some post from owners about their computers freaking out and such! (www.vr3.co.uk) Also, if you know any other computer that will fit the bill, i'd like to know. :)
Thanks in advance

P.S. I know about the CCR option on the VR3, but at the moment i'm not considering it for the future....well maybe, but pretty far into the the future!

I'm using a VR3, I'm not really familiar with the Nitek (only what I've read). I'm very happy with the unit. It's simple to program and easy to use all functions in and out of the water. I did have a bit of trouble with Delta-P's customer service, but that has since been resolved, so no complaints here.

Al.

I have only heard good things about both as well. I went with the VR3 for the added flexibility and can't wait to get the thing into the water.

I have used the time to go through the manuals and learn to operate it more efficiently (what a concept.... a man reading the manual, LOL). The displays seem to be large and tell me what I need to know.

By reputation, you can't go wrong with either.

I have the Nitek He and I'm very pleased with its ease of use.
I also considered the VR3 when I added to my equipment collection, I already had a couple of Niteks and I have been very happy with them for several years.
I had read quite a few threads regarding to VR3 software related problems and decided the He would be the simplest of the two if I experienced problems and needed support from the manufacturer.

Hmmm...there are some divergent thoughts on the use of computers for trimix diving since a lot of times, the depths tend to be deeper and a few different gasses are used. That's putting a lot of trust and faith in a little gadget on your wrist.
Dive computers revolutionized diving by freeing people from the constraints of conventional dive tables, but with single gas computers, no matter what kind of weird profile you dived, any aware divers kept at least a running train-of-thought on what their dive profile was.
With this deeper tech stuff, people started going back to the tables in the form of decompression programs. With a PDA or laptop, people just cut a profile right on the boat and trasfer it to their slate or laminate it. Yes, this means that you are trusting a computer program, but at least you're still on the surface pondering your dive.
Maybe better to be looking down and thinking about what's going on instead of being at depth wondering if everything is 5x5.
So if you're going to pop for a VR3 or a Nitek He - both of which are OUTSTANDING computers, make sure you're concurently planning your dives whatever deco program warms your heart. Both have their adherents - it's a win-win choice.
It has to be a great feeling at depth to be reading your computer and seeing that your slate or laminated times are in the same ballpark.
The VR3 has a nice feature where you can read an ebook while you're hanging out on a deco stop.

Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful. Dear Tom, my instructor always said that no computer substitutes tables, but rather complements them. Also, I'm an english major, so i guess with the ebook option on the VR3 and a slate, i can do my homework on a deco stop! :) :)

Jeez, Tristessa. You'd think that, of all people, an English major like you would know that the word is COMPLEMENT rather than COMPLIMENT.

Yeah, better do your homework.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom